Pablo Picasso / Traits of Modern Art

belleza said:
travolta , it is not a school project .. i'm a chemical-engineering student not an art student.. my knowledge in art is ZERO :blush: but am talented in drawing and ..just wanted to know about different styles of painting...
when i firstly saw Guernica i thought it was "ugly"! but when i knew it was picasso's .. i just wanted to know why is it very famous , even though it looked too "cartoonish" to me :unsure:

......just now i started to like it :P

ah, ok. :D thanks for clearing that up.:wink:

as someone involved in the sciences you may be interested in this book: Einstein, Picasso: Space, Time, and the Beauty That Causes Havoc by Arthur I. Miller. i haven't actually read this book completely through so i don't have a fully formed opinion on it, but i think it's worth checking out. :flower:

here's a review posted on amazon.com

From Publishers Weekly
Intellectual historians widely acknowledge that Einstein's theory of relativity and Picasso's cubist paintings launched modernity. Although the physicist and painter never met, their creative geniuses developed simultaneously under similar social circumstances and during an unrivaled period of cultural ferment. Moreover, Miller, professor of history and philosophy of science at University College London, contends, both Einstein and Picasso were deeply influenced by mathematician and philosopher Henri Poincar‚'s treatise on non-Euclidean geometry, La Science et l'hypothŠse. Both Einstein and Picasso borrowed from Poincar‚ the idea of a temporal and spatial dimension beyond our own that could be captured in art and physics. Miller plunders previously unavailable sources as he narrates the parallel biographies of Einstein and Picasso. He traces in great detail the influences of photography, geometry and X-ray technology on Picasso's art as well as the influence of aesthetic theory on Einstein's science. Through close readings of the theory of relativity and Picasso's groundbreaking Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, Miller argues that these two men were working on the same problem: "how to represent space and time at just the moment in history when it became apparent that these entities are not what we intuitively perceive them to be." In the 21st century, it is old news that artists and scientists struggle with the best ways to represent space and time. But Miller's eloquent and wide-ranging interdisciplinary history of ideas returns us to the beginning of the 20th century when two brilliant minds challenged reigning understandings of space and time and fashioned revolutionary models that imbue contemporary culture's understandings of itself and the physical world. (Apr.)Forecast: There is probably not a huge readership for this title, but it will sell well to students of science, art and the history of ideas. The author will make appearances in Chicago and Cambridge, Mass., in late March, and such engagements should help him reach his audience

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
belleza said:
indie , caramel , sephora socialite , anna karina :flower: thank you so much guys , i appreciate it

and i was just wondering , the way he pictured the horse , looks like there are some writings on the horse ? :unsure: its a really complicated painting that aroused my curiousity...

Picasso was referring to newspapers in those markings as well as the monotone grey/blk/white. Like this was a sort of news photograph, he was saying "this is what happened here".

two months off said:
After the bombings happened (April 26th...)

Ah man, that's my birthday. Chernobyl blew up that day too you know.

I studied this painting at Art class in High school, it is regarded as the most important painting in Spanish art history with Las Meninas by Velazquez.

Those bombings caused a deep impact on Picasso and I think that's why we're also impressed by the painting, because it borned because of very strong feelings.

thankyou everyone :flower:

travolta , i'll be sure to get this book , seems interesting :woot: thanks alot

and thanks anna karina for the links ^_^

fourboltmain said:
Ah man, that's my birthday. Chernobyl blew up that day too you know.

isch, that's an icky coincidence. Chernobyl, I mean, not your birthday of course ^_^

The painting itself stays in Madrid, Reina Sofia museum. I went over to see it with my own eyes last March, its astonishing and terrifying. It is the most famous piece in this museum, (it also has Salvador Dali's " The Great Masturbator", and "Figure at a Window" paintings in it) painted in 1937, the ultimate expression of human barbarism and stupidity. The bombing of the town of Guernica, in Basque country caused 2000 deaths. Picasso refused to return the painting to the Spanish government until democracy was restored. I first saw this painting when i was in school, years ago, and since then, although it is a black/white painting, i always had a weird perception in my mind that it was colorful. With reds and browns. When i first saw it in Sofia Museum for real, i was really surprised, by its size (3.48 meters x 7.77 meters) and that it has this strange state of colorfullness in its black/grey/white nature. It is known that Picasso painted it with the tellings of Dora Maar, and that is why the woman in the middle is her. The picture has 7 versions, all photographed by Dora Maar. At the last stages of the painting, Picasso first added two and then one big teardrop to it, and decided that it is unnecessary to show the blood that was spent.

There is a story which is told, i do not know if its true but one time a german soldier asked Picasso if he did this picture and his answer was: "No sir, it was you who did it."

thanks everybody!

hmmmh guys, this is so interesting for me...i'm doing a ph.d. on the guy, and it's just great to see that even chemical engineers like beleza are interested in him! and i'm really quite fascinated by everybody's effort to try to understand.

anna k, have you studied art history at any point? it sounds like it...

i cannot remember who suggested miller's book on einstein and picasso, but congratulations on your readings:flower:

that's a bit of a difficult book, and quite "original" in his approach to picasso's art, but i agree that beleza may appreciate it greatly because of her scientific education. (a friend of mine is actually just about to submit her ph.d. on guernica and science, supervised by prof. miller...i haven't read it, but her ideas sound interesting).

i'm afraid i'm more of an earlier picasso expert, but if you want more info, or a bibliography, i'd be more than happy to provide that.

this thread made my day!!! ^_^

so nice to know that there's something that actually moves people beyond academic stuff!...:heart:

There are so many symbols in this work, and many variations on the meanings. Picasso was quoted as saying he would never tell the meanings of the more dominant symbols such as the bull/minataur and the horse, as he thought it would be much more interesting for everyone to interperate in their own way.
We are actually currently studying Picasso and especially Guernica as well. I never paid any attention to the work previously and know that I undertand it, it's fantastic! I could talk about it for hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->