Pablo Picasso

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
isn't it amazing that he did so much in his lifetime...?
and yet his work is still valued so high...

just watched 'le mystere picasso'...(1956)
a crazy and cool french film which showed him actually creating many many paintings and drawings...

he is the opposite of what one thinks of when one thinks of an artist struggling to create...

the stuff just poured out of him...
there seems to have been no 'off' switch...
it was just like a faucet that poured art all the time...

regardless of whether or not his work is my favourite...(some is-some isn't)
i continue to be impressed by how prolific he was...
i'm quite in awe of that actually ...

Eventhough I'm not really fond of him... Picasso is, imo, one of the best and most important painter for the XXth Century!
He "covers" (?) all the XXth!!!... with so many different periods... just this is genius!
Guernica... my favourite painting of him, is "timeless"...
go there : http://www.picasso.fr/
the english version : http://www.picasso.fr/anglais/index.htm

never saw this movie, so thanx softgrey for talking about this!

Picasso, needless to say, has inspired generations! :heart:

Olga in an Armchair, c. 1917 and Portrait of Dora Maar, c. 1942

Pablo-Picasso-Olga-in-an-Armchair-7602.jpg
E234.jpg

easyart.com . artviews.org

thanks for the nice videos and links guys ^_^ I agree... he was so prolific. I think he is also a prime example of a constantly developing artist... So many artists struggle to 'find' themselves, struggling to find their own style than just letting it come through naturally.

a look at his changes in style...

portrait of his mother, 1896
naturalist/realistic style...

the blue period. this painting, 1903.
naturalist with depressing themes, colours

starting 'cubism'. 1907.
things are fragmented...

can hardly see the figures now. 1910.

starting to use more collage... guitar 1913.
style is flatter.

surrealist influence? torero 1919.

going back to naturalism... lovers 1923.
figures are more curvaceous and painting is soft and pastel-like.

to the style most people know him by...
marie therese walter 1937.

http://www.abcgallery.com/P/picasso/picasso.html

Thanks Gius, it's always fun to see evolutions in styles!

I LOVE PICASSO! He's an inspiration and has left an amazing legacy... :smile: I went to the Picasso musem in France two years ago and some images have found a space in my head... I can't get rid of it. His work is that influencial.

'Le Tricorne', the costumes designed by Pablo Picasso, first performed in 1919, comprising: eight pairs of breeches the majority with zig-zag braid or pom-pom trim in shades of grey, brown - rust; four brown wool boleros - one with zig-zag braid and pom-poms; a black wool jacket and six pairs of spats in assorted needlecord and wool, probably 1930s

liveauctioneers.com

Still Life with Chair Canning, 1912

Girl with a Mandolin, 1910

http://fadis.library.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/FADIS

Last edited by a moderator:
^Oh! That would make a cool thread! Artists making clothes
Thanks SomethingElse
I don't know many artists who have made clothes though, especially those that work in painting or sculpture rather than textiles... :ermm: I've seen Matisse do work outside of fine art, like stained glass, and Paul Klee made puppets

Good ideaGius! I'll PM you with some that I know already. :heart: Picasso once again causing people to collaberate!

I am not a great fan of Picasso, but in my opinion, "Guernica" is absolutely exquisite. It is, quite possibly, one of my favorite paintings. Ever.

guernica.jpg

It was painted in 1937, in which he had actually started working on before the actual bombing of Guernica. It's absolutely fabulous. :]

src: barcelona.indymedia.org

hi lamby welcome to TFS
Please remember to add credits to pictures you post
Part of TFS Guidelines

I think he's very overrated. His early work proves that he has a huge amount of technical ability, but his mid and later work is soulless and cartoonish. the main thing is he has no subtlety whatsoever. Everything is exaggerated and stretched flat to the point of boredom. Guernica is a good example. It's not bad by any means, but personally I find it too flat and cartoonish to be emotionally powerful. It's certainly not what I'd consider a masterpiece. He apparently spent very little time on each painting (often churning out three a day), and it really shows. So many of them are mere sketches with nothing more beneath the surface. And his look bordered on gimmicky and campy after awhile. It became a brand. Obviously he was tremendously talented, but the fact that he had no personal filter or patience eally detracted from his output. Prolific doesn't = great. Gauguin and Van Gogh >>> Picasso

Because i feel bad about shortchanging him, here are a couple examples of how gorgeous his early stuff was. I lovewhat he did during the blue period:
Femme_aux_Bras_Crois%C3%A9s%2C_Picasso.jpg
Lesnoces.JPG

wikipedia.org

I hope you are not thinking it's souless and cartoonish just because of the style and the maybe 'lack' of details, as compared with the naturalism in his earlier work. You have to take into account the times his work went through. His work with the 'exaggerated and flat' style happened during a movement called Cubism. A lot of artists were experimenting with this new idea of fragmentation in their works--it was something exciting, something fresh. And eventually it also lead to more abstract art, something simpler... What they wanted was something completely new, something different than what they had in the past (which is the kind of realistic imagery that you have shown here). It was what they felt the times needed...
The work you have here now may have more of a 'serious' theme but that doesn't make its worth higher than his other works. Can't it be enough to have art that has no deep meaning behind it but rather its colours and composition are enough to make someone happy ?

Shoe designed by Pablo Picasso and fabricated by Perugia, late fifties. A small number were made as promotional items, this one given to an official in the French Ministry of Culture.

62y0o7n.jpg

abbeville.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->