Patrick And The Others..

clay

Reaction score
Patrick Kelly: Pioneering American Designer - First Retrospective of the Work of African American Fashion Designer Patrick Kelly on View at the Brooklyn Museum of Art April 17 Through September 5, 2004. ...

Patrick Kelly was a designer I greatly admired as a teen starting out in fashion.
My sister gave me the issue of Essence Magazine where he was on the cover
when I left California to come to New York . She told me to keep it with me and read it whenever I had doubts about my
career choice as a designer, or just needed a little inspiration. I still have it and
I will always cherish it.

I welcome you guys to honor designers that are no longer here that may have affected your life in positive way, or just
shout out some of your favorites no longer with us.
:lol:

Attachments

• pkelly.jpg
    pkelly.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
I don't know that much about older designers, but an obvious choice of a designer who has passed on but had a tremendous influence would be Coco Chanel.
Oh, and that's nice you have a deigner that can inspire you!

"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."

C. Chanel

clay...i loved patrick kelly as well...did you go to the exhibit?...

Out of utter respect they would definitely be the following:

Jeanne Lanvin,Cristobal Balenciaga,Bonnie Cashin,Claire McCardell,Courreges,Vionett,Madame Grés,Moschino and certainly a mention to the more contemporary in Stephen Sprouse(R.I.P.)....and of course this list would be nothing without the likes of Mlle Chanel,Dior and Monsieur Givenchy.

No longer with us(I know what it means!)...does this also include those of whom are retired? A definite nod to YSL & Theirry Mugler.

well...if we're talking retired...then don't forget claude montana... :heart: :flower:

I want to mention Gianni Versace. He may not have contributed as much to fashion as other designers who have passed on, but I think his death was so tragic, it's sad that we never got to see all that he had to offer to fashion.

Originally posted by Spike413@May 30th, 2004 - 1:10 am
I want to mention Gianni Versace. He may not have contributed as much to fashion as other designers who have passed on, but I think his death was so tragic, it's sad that we never got to see all that he had to offer to fashion.
well...he actually pretty much invented the concept of the SUPERMODEL...so that's a pretty major contribution... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey+May 30th, 2004 - 1:12 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ May 30th, 2004 - 1:12 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spike413@May 30th, 2004 - 1:10 am
well...he actually pretty much invented the concept of the SUPERMODEL...so that's a pretty major contribution... :flower: [/b][/quote]
:doh: That's right!!! How could I forget that?

Originally posted by Spike413+May 30th, 2004 - 1:16 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ May 30th, 2004 - 1:16 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by softgrey@May 30th, 2004 - 1:12 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Spike413
@May 30th, 2004 - 1:10 am

well...he actually pretty much invented the concept of the SUPERMODEL...so that's a pretty major contribution... :flower:
:doh: That's right!!! How could I forget that? [/b][/quote]
... and technically he was great.

tw-030904-pic8.jpg

:heart: Franco Moschino :heart:

Franco Moschino was born near Milan in 1950. He grew up in Abbiategrasso, a small town about twenty miles from Milan. He was only interested in art while at school and showed no inclination to follow his father into industry. Instead he joined the Academia delle belle Arti i Brera where he studied life drawing, ceramics and scenography. Moschino's first jobs were varied - publicity agencies, amateur theatre and computer programming. In 1970 he began to draw for magazines and illustrate fashion collections. He met Gianni Versace who asked him to illustrate the Versace collections and then encouraged him to accept a designer's job at Cadette. Five years later, in 1982, th first Moschino collection was launched. legendary slogans such as, 'fashion is a waist of money' were woven into his clothes and earned him the reputation of a rebel which only added to his success. He campaigned for children with AIDS and was a strong activist on environmental issues. He lived in a one-roomed rented apartment and drove a white Fiorino van. Franco Moschino died on the 18th September 1994

oh lena...i loved moschino soooo much....he and patrick kelly died around the same time....and it was sooo sad....they were both so joyful and full of life...not to mention talent...

i miss moschino's very provocative ...tongue in cheek ads...he knew how to make political commentary easy to digest by injecting it with humour...so clever...

remember...he was the first to design garments with fashion victim scrawled across them....and all the the little fashionistas gobbled them up...and we all had a laugh!~!!! :lol:

Moschino and Versace where definatly some of favorites also. Coco, Dior, Balenciaga, and many others helped me appreciate this field.

I have not went to Kelleys exhibit but I am going soon. Thanks evryone for the posts here!Also
want to remember Willie Smith. My old boss has a license for his line and it is pure crap now. I hate how the company is trying to milk the name and give no respect to his legacy as a designer that made great fashion at affordable prices.

wowee.....williwear...that takes me back...i had a few pieces back in the day....very cool!!!...and i used to get stuff for my boyfriend all the time...i especially liked his menswear...

Originally posted by softgrey@May 30th, 2004 - 6:28 pm
wowee.....williwear...that takes me back...i had a few pieces back in the day....very cool!!!...and i used to get stuff for my boyfriend all the time...i especially liked his menswear...
I never will forget the day a buddy of mine walked into high school in this
Olive plaid linen suit by Willie. My buddies i went crazy! we rushed out and got our own WillieWear
pieces. I actually had many by the time he died. His stuff was quit cool and since It was affordable
You could always find something. I had my first piece in 85. Yeah way back in the day! Also rocked my first Armani
back then. It was the Tank top with the big black round patch with the eagle in it ( Richard Gere started a frenzy
among the people that liked fashion back in my city. Armani was king back then).

Thanks Softgrey!

I think we need to mention Erik Mortensen as well. He did some wonderfull work for Balmain.

Originally posted by Fashionism@May 31st, 2004 - 5:26 am
I think we need to mention Erik Mortensen as well. He did some wonderfull work for Balmain.
not familiar...can you post some pics pls?...

thx :flower:

i was just thinking about it ...and if we're including retired...then shouldn't that include calvin klein?...and paco rabanne?... :unsure:

and perry ellis, and pierre cardin...and courreges...

SG, Perry died also in the Eighties. Again another of my heros. I can not tell you how many Polka dot ties and sox I had, not to mention his shirts. I think I read here that Pierre is selling his company. I think Courreges
still does somethings?????? Maybe art or architecture?????? Anyway all great designers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->