People Magazine's 10 Best Dressed of 2011

Pissing myself laughing at Blake's inclusion in this list. Just the fact they've used two Marchesa outfits while labelling her a "risk taker".... LMFAO!!! I'M CRYING!!

That was way harsh, Tai... (Clueless references are still cool, right?B))

But... totally true. People magazine is geared towards the average "everyday" American not towards people who care about the actual fashion industry. That being said, I can see why they picked these women, they are the women who are on are the "average" persons radar. I mean, its not like they would really know/care about who Daphne Guinness (and others like her ) is or whatnot. And honestly, it's okay that they don't know about the real players in the world of fashion. Not everyone has too care about these things. Lets leave them there J.Lo's and Blake's and we can have our Daphne's, Anna Piaggi's, etc. etc. ^_^My only real qualms about this list is that they called Ginnifer Goodwin "the hipster," clearly People mag and I have a different definition of what hipster is. :lol:

I agree and disagree with your comment.

I agree in that "People" is going to use names that that average person recognizes. And that these are names that make sense to the average person. I disagree with their choices, but I understand why they were chosen (I think it has more to with buzz and the pop culture radar rather than actually clothing. Hence the inclusion of Blake Lively and the Duchess). So I'm with you there.

I disagree with your comment because it seems to imply one is only fashionable/iconic/stylish/best dressed if one is within the fashion industry. And how does one define who is "within"? I do believe there are stylish people outside of the industry. For example, Kate Hepburn was never involved in the fashion industry, but no one denies her status as style icon as well as a best dressed person year after year. I think best dressed and style icon are terms thrown around too loosely these days but I would never consider limiting the terms to just those who frolic in the fashion industry.

^Oooh... I'm so sorry that my comment was interpreted that way. I was just using those two as examples and they both happened to be fashion industry people. I totally agree with you, the words fashion and style are thrown around very loosely theses days and also that one does not have to be in the industry to be well dressed/style icon. I mean, some of my personal style icons aren't in the industry at all. Women like Michelle Obama, Sofia Coppola, and Audrey Hepburn. Yes, some of them have ties to the industry I suppose, but still, they forged ahead and developed there own style. A style that was right for them and not necessarily one built on trends. Which I think part of the issue of when we deem people "best dressed" we often look at those who are "trendy" not stylish. Like when I look at this list I think of J.Lo's style as trendy. But at the same time people love her for this and because she is someone who's looks can easily be tracked. I mean half of her wardrobe must be documented by People magazine!

^Oooh... I'm so sorry that my comment was interpreted that way. I was just using those two as examples and they both happened to be fashion industry people. I totally agree with you, the words fashion and style are thrown around very loosely theses days and also that one does not have to be in the industry to be well dressed/style icon. I mean, some of my personal style icons aren't in the industry at all. Women like Michelle Obama, Sofia Coppola, and Audrey Hepburn. Yes, some of them have ties to the industry I suppose, but still, they forged ahead and developed there own style. A style that was right for them and not necessarily one built on trends. Which I think part of the issue of when we deem people "best dressed" we often look at those who are "trendy" not stylish. Like when I look at this list I think of J.Lo's style as trendy. But at the same time people love her for this and because she is someone who's looks can easily be tracked. I mean half of her wardrobe must be documented by People magazine!

Thanks for clarifying! :flower:

I completely get what you mean about the trendy dressers being named vs. people who actually are best dressed. I wonder when the lists started being that way? Because at least back in the 1940s-1960s, best dressed lists were based upon who had actually had original style and were not based on who was most popular or wearing the latest trends of the moment.

if anyone is a risk taker or rule breaker it's Katie Holmes... i am quite in love with he style. Where is ate Blanchtt by the way?!

.... aaand that is why I find celebrity style so boring!

best Dressed

david gandy

cate blanchett

Olivia Palermo & Johannes Huebl

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"