Please Explain The Detaxe

sandra

Reaction score
I'm going to France in a couple of weeks and will be doing some major shopping there for the first time ever (i've been there 7 times before with no interest in major shopping, only passages and brocantes). It will be like a buying trip for me. Can someone please explain the detaxe for me. How much must you spend in one establishment to qualify? And how much money do you get back and when?
The big stores I plan to buy at are Hermes, Goyard, Au Bon Marche and Didier Ludot. Thanks!

Hi sandra. I just went to France in May and broke the bank myself. In order to qualify for detaxe you need to spend 175 euro or more in each store to qualify. The amont you get back is a percentage and depends upon the type of goods you buy. Some stores will give back to as much as 14%. I hope i was able to help and i hope you have a fantastic trip. P.S. Enjoy Goyard i didn't get to go this trip but i hear the store is fantastic.

:wink: Danny

I found a website that explains how you can benefit from detaxe.

Detaxe

Here's even another website that talks about it more. I think its out of date but it should help nonetheless. Hope this helps! :flower:

Detaxe 2

Just be prepared for it to take a WHILE, unless you buy everything for cash of course.

Hi again Sandra, Faust is right i got back on may 31st and i'm still waiting for 2 of the store i purchased from to deposit my detaxe refund.

if one buys expensive, it sure worths the wait...

i never had it myself, europeans are not entitled to the privilege.. grrrrr

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 29 2004, 01:53 AM

[snapback]317633[/snapback]​

Do europeans can get double nationality? Because I've seen costaricans with up to three different nationalities (at a time!) ... so ..who wants to marry me?

Does anyone know if you can get the detaxe in overseas French departments? (the French West Indies/Caribbean) I've never been to Martinique, Guadeloupe or St. Barts. Is the detaxe the same amount as the rest of duty-free Caribbean or more. I'm thinking about major shopping in the Islands this winter as well.

Originally posted by sandra@Jul 30 2004, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know if you can get the detaxe in overseas French departments? (the French West Indies/Caribbean) I've never been to Martinique, Guadeloupe or St. Barts. Is the detaxe the same amount as the rest of duty-free Caribbean or more. I'm thinking about major shopping in the Islands this winter as well.
[snapback]318686[/snapback]​

It's not detaxe per se, detaxe is for European Union. But in general prices on luxury goods are much cheaper in the carribean. I know plenty of people whose main goal of a carribean vacation is to buy a swiss watch at 60%-70% of what they'd pay in NYC.

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 29 2004, 01:53 AM

[snapback]317633[/snapback]​

No doubt. Lena, first time I was in Antwerp(en), (on top of prices being lower in the first place) Euro was $.85, and I got 20% back in detax. You can imagine how much fun I had shopping :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidedoll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->