Positive Things about the Fashion Industry?

rainbowrosa

Reaction score
The fashion industry is often seen as negative and bitchy. Magazines constantly telling us to buy new things that cost hundreds of pounds. New trends every season. Pressure on young girls to look good. Everybody wanting to follow the trends and look the same.

There are lots of negative things, but what are the positive things about the fashion industry?

Of course there are. A lot. Fashion is the world of dreams, where you can recreate a new atmosphere, something new, where you can spend very beautiful moments, the pleasure of seeing a well dressed woman, the sound of some heels, le rouge of some lips, an astonishing dress... Besides it's like art, it tries to found beautifulness. It's a feelind that you can only feel it if you really really adore fashion. It is somethig that can not be explain, a very very deep feeling. :heart:

Fashion is creation, so it s one of the most beautiful thing in life. Creation is one of the things that make people take their human condition.

there must be an overall different vision here in italy ... first of all fashion ("la moda" in italian) is considered as art, everything else is not fashion but a trend ...

the business connected with the fashion world is considered work we (italians) think that when we put made in italy on it it must be the best that the world can give

designers (the good ones) are artists and business (wo/)man

there is nothing bad in art and work

add the connected people: models and photographers that trough fashion can express themselves, without fashion they will be lost :smile:

the first are simply extremely beautiful girls that from their beauty connected to the fashion world can gain money and celebrity

the seconds will never be able to shoot that much super beautiful girls without the help of the income they can get shooting campaigns and editorials ...

I think fashion is good
the bad things are just a trend :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
fashion combines the ego and the id.... the body and the spirit... the creation and the interpretor.

Fashion can be found at the intersection of fantasy and reality... just ask john galliano...

from a model/model mom's point of view.

You meet some really nice people who do care about what happens to your career.

There is the possibility of making a hugh amount of money.

You get the chance to travel to places that you thought you would never see.

You make a lot of good friends from all over the world that you will never forget.

The excitement of seeing yourself in a magazine or walking a runway show.

Rubbing shoulders with some of the most famous photographers and designers in NY...even for just a few short moments.

Meeting some of the top models and feeling welcomed when you walk in a show with them.

It's like any other business. That's the thing. You'll always have the good and the bad, up and downsides, etc.

I think it's only negative if you take what's being fed to you...

There's always a great feeling when you skim through all those pages in this forum and find something that suddenly resonates with you... & then you have to save the pictures and print them out! and paste them to your walls. :heart: in the designers' threads, in street style, the trendspotting threads, fashion boutiques & displays design (visual merchandizing), the accessories forum and also fashion photography/magazine work

& also the inspiration leads to how you might like to direct your own life.. how to design, be creative, etc.

i went to the graduate fashion week education day the other day, and there was a fashion careers talk. the editor or elle magazine made a good point - everyday is different and there are no two days the same.

I can think of a LOT of positive things. I can't speak for anywhere but the US but here, over 68% of women's wear is produced by companies with fewer than 20 employees. They hire women in their communities who often don't have other job opportunities. Second, the pay is better than people think. If you don't have hard skills and are stuck at restaurant or service jobs, those barely pay minimum. In factories, the average pay even ten years ago was over $9-$12 an hour. I don't know the most recent stats.

I'm not obsessed or anything, but fashion is one of the few things I truly enjoy in life, as crazy as that might sound to some people. I have a lot of fun shopping, reading fashion magazines, watching fashion-related things, reading about fashion on tFS & other places online. I love the glamour of it too-beautiful clothes shot in beautiful locations on beautiful models. I know that can make some women feel like they have to be more stylish, richer, taller, thinner, more beautiful, ect, but to me it's all entertainment & fun. Just like watching a movie with amazing & beautiful everything. I am aware of the negative things in the fashion industry, but I still love it. I think fashion is simply fun & a great form of expression. ***Edited ***

this depends on perspective.

Fashion receives negative comments, b/c fashion reflects on us, the society.
It's just a mere reflection of how defiled the world has become, but people don't want to believe that the world has become so corrupted. So, what do we do? we choose to blame the fashion industry! But in the end fashion industry meres shows what people want, in most bold direct way.

So, if everything in society is really crap to you, then there is absolutely nothing good about the fashion industry. But if it has is good, that will shine. For eg. i know a friend who find marketing manipulation beautiful (bit strange :ninja:). For me I personally hate how the world revolves, but i love fashion as art, the ideal life, the fantasy.

on side note
Some may argue that fashion cause girls to seek to be beautiful. But that's not entirely correct. Most of our personalities develop at young age. And what do we get exposed to so much at such early age? Stories, and TV.
And from that age girls are alrdy brainwashed by society. From children stories, stereotypes portrayed in the media (mom cleaning), etc.
eg.
"mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all" or pretty dress makes cinderella pretty? it's stuck in the society. Fashion is not to blame at all.
If from today we start liking short legs, fashion soon will promote very short leg. the ideal beauty.

i apologize for talking too much :lol::flower:

besides all the above...
one positive thing about the fashion industry is giving hope/fun/networking opportunities/ knowledge/and A LOT more to 53290 (and growing) tFS members! (not to mention how much people visit the site without being able to access it!
fashion brings people together... and that can't be bad! i don't know about you all, but every time I log in here i just know that i'll spend it navigating through the threads, feeling that this is something i am really chosing to do, that i am free to do, with no judgements! and i wish i felt that way all day long...
all of it thanks to the so called fashion industry :flower:

fashion combines the ego and the id.... the body and the spirit... the creation and the interpretor.

Fashion can be found at the intersection of fantasy and reality... just ask john galliano...

love the way you put this:flower: i absolutely agree.

One of the most positive things I have ever heard came from Nemova.

Once upon a time, she said:

I love fashion because it makes people feel good. I want to be a stylist because there's something about giving someone confidence to go to a job interview. I want to help give them that confidence to step into that office because they feel good about what they look like and who they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->