Stroke of Genius

Photographer: Duncan Killick
Stylist: Kate Darvill
Hair: Pete Lennon
Makeup: Filomena Natoli
Cast: Prince Del

GQ Australia Digital Edition

NOW CASTING: PRINCE DEL

ONE OF FASHION'S NEW FACES TALKS ABOUT SNEAKER SICKNESS AND HIS FAVORITE RUNWAY SHOW

BY SOPHIE SHAW

Prince Del is neither here nor there. He’s constantly on the move, with a style and taste in music that is just as varied as his travels. He’s Sudanese by birth, was raised in Egypt for a time, and says he grew up in Australia (you can tell by his accent). His modeling career took off faster than he had anticipated. After he did his first shoot for a friend’s label in Australia, he got signed at Chadwick Models. It was gradual at the beginning, because, according to Del, the marketing for dark-skinned models is really slow in Australia. He found global success, however, and his career has brought him to cities across the world. Although he’s fresh to the fashion world, Del has already racked up credits with Yohji Yamamoto, Stella McCartney and Rick Owens, among others.

Del isn’t quick to define himself. His personal style is just what he wears. The music he likes is just what sounds good to him. CR sat down with the model to hear more about his career, his love for sneakers, and his own fashion label in the works.

When did you start modeling?
I feel like I just started, really, In Australia it was really slow, there were not enough jobs. When I first got signed with this agency they told me not to expect that many jobs, but I don’t even care. If I get anything, it’s something. But then it got really busy, and I was the first black model that they signed. Now they have eight or 10–they signed Duckie Thot. There are really big African models coming from that agency, and it’s a good thing.

Is modeling something you saw yourself doing?
Never, no I never thought I’d be doing it. It’s weird because I never thought I’d be that guy. But it’s good. I got to travel the world and meet a lot of cool people. I’m glad I got into it.

Growing up, what did you want to do?
Play basketball. I started playing basketball when I was 12, with my family. I got into basketball through friends as well, in high school. Then I played everywhere. I’ve played in Asia quite a bit—in China, in Vietnam, in Cambodia, and Hong Kong. I’ve played all across Asia and Australia as well. It’s like a job sort of thing, but we don’t get paid that well, so it’s not like professionally.

How would you describe your style?
My style is really weird, I guess. I’d wear anything, really. I don’t wear just one thing. I could wear Captain Morgan, like dressed completely differently from what I’m wearing now. Sometimes I’ll wear really baggy clothes, like really street, and then I’ll just dress like some dad. I mix it up a lot, so I don’t really have a style. I kind of just do my own thing.

Can you share a bit about your #sneakeroftheday posts on Instagram?
Yeah, I’m really into sneakers, like it’s a disease. I got into sneakers–well I’ve always been into Jordans and stuff like that–but then I got into high end sneakers once I started modeling. The first time I shot with a friend, he was opening a really high end sneaker store and they offered me a job after I did the shoot, and I got into all of these big brands. At first I thought they were really ugly, because some of the designs are like, if you’re not into fashion you’d think ‘what the hell.’ But yeah, I just started buying a lot sneakers.

What type of music do you like?
I listen to everything. Anything that sounds good, I like it. Stuff I don’t even understand. I listen to Korean music, Chinese music. Most of my friends that I work with in Australia, the majority of their customers were Asian, really fashionable, and into sneakers, so I really got into that and would go to karaoke a lot. So I listen to everything, there isn’t just one genre that I would listen to.

Do you have any plans for the future?
I’ve been working on a label for two or three years now of high end streetwear. I’m into designing. I sew, I paint shoes–some that I’ve put up on my Instagram. I was actually going to start my label this year, but then I got all these contracts, so I thought I’d go and see what’s out there, and get more inspiration as well.

Can you describe the style of the brand? Is it for men?
It’s unisex, not really specifically male. I don’t even have a name for it. It’s like street and high end at the same time–it’s weird. Just like looking fresh.

CR Fashion Books

Man of Metropolis January 2020

Victory

Photographer: Hans Olsen
Stylist: Marc Anthony George
Cast: Prince Del

Man of Metropolis Digital Edition

Hunger Spring/Summer 2019

Cover Up

Photographer: Bojana Tatarska
Stylist: Noemie Fourmeau
Hair: Yoann Fernandez