Princess Diana

sandra

Reaction score
In rememberance on the anniversary of her death. Toward the end of her life, her style was really superchic and was a global trendsetter. Her style still has a major influence and was IMO the best dressed royal ahead of Princess Caroline of Hanover. She had almost gotten it all together when she passed :(

".....like a candle in the wind"

i was in a book store the other day, and she was on the cover of this book wearing a black dress,
she looked sooo timeless. i was still a kid when she past too,
i remember rows and rows and rows of flowers in the streets of windsor

Originally posted by SCBlondie@Sep 1 2004, 10:04 AM
I remember when she died, hearing it on the radio and my dad talking about how beautiful she was and what a shame it was that she died so early.
princess.jpg

[snapback]352531[/snapback]​

The necklace she's wearing in that photo is involved in some dispute with Prince William...

Apparently the sons want one of the last pieces of jewelry that their mother wore.

I don't see anything wrong with that....

I adored her aswell. How long has it been? I know I was only little when she passed. We came home from a party and my cosuin came out and said she had passed. She was such a lovely woman. That is a beautiful necklace! :flower:

Lady Diana

Ok I searched but got no results so i deside to make a thread on this wonderfull lady who had great style and not only that she gave alot to style and she gave alot of time and effort to charity and she gave us two wonderfull princes, Espesialy Harry :P
What are your opinions on her ?? Post your favortie outfits of hers !!

Diana once observed that she wanted to be thought of as a workhorse not a clotheshorse. Diana loved clothes; they were a passion and a public duty. As the Princess of Wales, her wardrobe requirements were complex; outfits were needed for her duties as a member of the Royal family, overseas trips, charity work and the many official functions and charity galas that required eveningwear. From the early days of her engagement it was inevitable that everything she wore, every new accessory and change of hairstyle would be scrutinized.

The Princess understood that millions of people followed her as a fashion icon and that the crowds who gathered to meet her expected glamour. She also understood that the worldwide media coverage her image generated could be used to good effect – to raise money for the charity causes she so passionately supported.

The exhibition displays 28 outfits from the early 1980's to her last public engagement. They reveal inevitable changes in fashion style and the development of a young girl to a confident and mature woman.

In the 1980’s the Princess supported the British fashion industry, wearing clothes by Victor Edelstein, Murray Arbeid, Belville Sassoon, Catherine Walker, Bruce Oldfield and Gina Fratini. Diana placed British fashion, with its traditions of classic tailoring for day and romantic evening wear, in the international spotlight. Like any young woman she experimented and not all of her outfits were a total success – but in the 1990’s something rather different happened. The Princess now had the resources, the independence and the experience to create a unique and personal style. British designers continued to provide outfits, notably Catherine Walker and Jacques Azagury, but increasingly she turned to international designers, to Versace, Valentino and Chanel. Her look became more international with a sophisticated and simple silhouette. The effect was all in the details that became her hallmark; superb cut, materials worn with coordinated accessories, handbags, jewelry and shoes. Diana’s image will inevitably define a fashion look of the late 20th century.

From her website

Princess Di really came into her own didn't she. I especially loved when she wore Catherine Walker.

A few of my favorites:

Catherine Walker was her best designer IMO. She wore them with such class and beauty. I adored Diana, and like the article said she did wear some outfts that were atrocious. But as the 90's progressed her style became her own.

I think a lot of what she wore is really timeless. Crisp, classic styles that I can still see some people wearing today with maybe a few tweaks and modifications...

Misako said:
I think a lot of what she wore is really timeless. Crisp, classic styles that I can still see some people wearing today with maybe a few tweaks and modifications...

I agree for some. But I remeber a few 80s overkill gowns she's worn. In any case she always looked like a million bucks.

^ That she did. My mom loved her to pieces. Sad day when she left the world.

She was very special and very classy in her looks...maybe a litte too conservative for me. But it was right for a princess. She'll stay in our hearts for ever :heart:

I found a stray topic about her in Star Style so I merged them... Thank you for bringing up the topic and pictures Tiamaria. :flower:

the 1997 Christie's Catalog

Right when I heard about the auction going to happen, I picked up the phone and ordered a catalog from Christie's. I still have it. It's one of my treasured possessions. The pictures of Diana wearing her most famous gowns. Indeed, as someone else here said before, many of her 80s gowns were monstrosities, but she usually wore them in such a way that on her they weren't so bad. On anyone else, forget about it. Even so, as she gained more independence and moved into the 90s, she developed a chic style of her own.
Catherine Walker was definitely her best. I also remember loving the Lady Dior handbag (Christian Dior's design that was inspired by her).
I'll try to find some pictures, but she liked Dior a lot, especially for handbags and sunglasses.

Did Diana wear anything from Matthew Williamson? I don't remember reading that she did but I know she favored British designers and I think she would have looked stunning in some of his creations.

Haha I can see where all the middle aged women in my town get their inspiration.

1981 07 29 wedding in St. Pauls Cathedral

:heart:

(getty)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honeymoon in Balmoral

she was so sweet, young and innocent :heart:

(getty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member