Quickie Q & A : Nicolas Ghesquiere

Quickie Q & A: Nicolas Ghesquière
Balenciaga’s main man squires starlet-of-the-moment around town and dishes about his new collection

NEW YORK: Tuesday, May 04, 2004

The Daily stole a moment with Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière as he was introducing fashionistas to his Fall/Winter 2004 line last Wednesday. It’s been a whirlwind New York visit for the designer, who flew in the weekend before the Costume Institute Gala with a packed schedule. Last Monday night, he and actress Diane Kruger (a former face of Balenciaga and a star in the upcoming Brad Pitt epic “Troy”) attended the Costume Institute Gala’s “Dangerous Liaisons” party, followed by some after-partying at Bungalow 8, where the duo relaxed with Tara Subkoff and Scarlett Johansson. The next evening, he and Kruger hosted the opening of the Private Park at Ian Schrager’s Hudson Hotel. Tired but nonetheless excited about his new collection, Ghesquière gave us all the details during a personal appearance at his West 22nd Street store.

What was the inspiration for the fall/winter collection?
I mixed looks from Balenciaga from the 1940s, ‘50s, and ‘60s and picked up accents from adventure clothes for expedition. They’re indoor and outdoor clothes but elegant.

How did you choose the colors?
I began the show with khakis and grays. Like old English flannels, different grays and green. Then for the expedition clothes I did completely white, like the snow. Or with the balloon dress [inspired from the original Balenciaga balloon dress], I used black. I also used very vivid and graphic colors and patterns I can only call elaborate.

What are your plans while you’re in New York?
I was here for the Met Costume Ball. But I am only in New York for five days. I fly back to Paris tonight.

How was the ball?
It was very fun.

Do you like New York?
I love New York! When I arrived on Saturday, the sun was amazing and I could see all the people in the park. It was incredible. You can feel New York.
MORGAN GOLDBERG

for someone who rarely visits new york, he seems to have a lot of new york friends...(i always thought that james kaliardos lived in new york)

Originally posted by mikeijames@May 5th, 2004 - 10:26 am
(i always thought that james kaliardos lived in new york)
Doesn't he?

I saw more Balenciaga fall 04 pieces the other day and I have to admit, it wasn't that hot. And for anyone wondering, the fit issues have STILL not been corrected. :angry: How is that possible? I guess all this criticism is more than deserved? :unsure: I think my opinion is slowly changing.

Originally posted by chickonspeed+May 5th, 2004 - 9:54 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ May 5th, 2004 - 9:54 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikeijames@May 5th, 2004 - 10:26 am
(i always thought that james kaliardos lived in new york)
Doesn't he?
[/b][/quote]
i only put that (not to dabble into his personal life too much) but it always seems like such a big to-do when he comes to new york when previously he made it sound like he travels back and forth frequently visiting his new york freinds and in particular mr. kaliardos (maybe things have cooled between them since that vogue interview from last year)

No, I know that they are still together.

Perhaps Nicolas is exaggerating his little love affair with New York? You're right, he must be coming here more often than he lets on. At the Costume Institute thing he said he hadn't been in NY since the store opening in February 2003. How could that be true?!

I don't care if Nicolas is flattering New Yorkers or not! I am thinking exactly what he said! NYC pumps you up! Good for the youthful people!

Originally posted by chickonspeed@May 5th, 2004 - 3:54 pm
I saw more Balenciaga fall 04 pieces the other day and I have to admit, it wasn't that hot. And for anyone wondering, the fit issues have STILL not been corrected. :angry: How is that possible? I guess all this criticism is more than deserved? :unsure: I think my opinion is slowly changing.
join the club chick :wink:

a question they should of asked: How to pronounce his last name :shock:

Originally posted by mehg@May 8th, 2004 - 9:53 am
:lol: its Ge-skièr :wink:

I am glad he is doing so well. I just don't like his stuff. His style is far from original Balenciaga, but people like it so that's great. I can't really comprehend his pieces or his design style though.

Originally posted by Lena+May 8th, 2004 - 8:55 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ May 8th, 2004 - 8:55 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mehg@May 8th, 2004 - 9:53 am
:lol: its Ge-skièr :wink: [/b][/quote]
mucho thanks Lena :P I wanted to make sure I wasn't overly butchering his name...

Originally posted by TheSweetest@May 8th, 2004 - 11:00 am
I am glad he is doing so well. I just don't like his stuff. His style is far from original Balenciaga, but people like it so that's great.
agreed the sweetest :wink:

most welcome mehg :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->