Raf Simons Spring & Fall 2003 Men's Collections

Are you serious, metal-on-metal? Those F/W05 coats were so beautiful though. Do you have any idea how much they would have been?

I think I'm starting to come around already. The more I look at his stuff, the more I like it.

I don't understand the whole pricing issue of the shearlings. Why don't they just lower the prices and produce them so people will buy them? It's not like it actually costs them thousands of dollars to make each coat, right? Is there something I'm missing here? That just seems ludicrous.

cerfas said:
Faust--thanks for the recommendation, very sweet of you. It wasn't the pattern itself that drew me to the coat though--more like the fact that some element of construction went into making a pattern, which I found interesting.

You are most welcome. That's exactly what I figured you liked, btw, and that's why I recommended Fake London. They incorporate the pattern into the clothes (they do a lot of cashmere), instead of just slapping a picture of the British flag on a t-shirt.

cerfas said:
Are you serious, metal-on-metal? Those F/W05 coats were so beautiful though. Do you have any idea how much they would have been?
I think they were going to be around $4000.

AlexN said:
I don't understand the whole pricing issue of the shearlings. Why don't they just lower the prices and produce them so people will buy them? It's not like it actually costs them thousands of dollars to make each coat, right? Is there something I'm missing here? That just seems ludicrous.
If there isn't a market for an item, there's no sense in producing it. I don't think any of Raf's buyers were interested in ordering quantities of $4K jackets with no guarantee that they will sell on the boutique floor. In the sort of economy we're in, a move like that is really quite risky. If enough people wanted them and could afford them, I'm sure Raf's atelier would make them.

It's also possible that a cutting technique or material used in the production of these jackets is extremely rare and costly. And it doesn't make sense, business wise, for the pieces to go into production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->