Reality Check for New Fashion Grads

Morningstar said:
Parsons Fashion Design student chiming in here:

I'll be a senior in the Fall and it's really scary. The awakening begins then because to make it into the senior benifit show is extremely difficult. There are about 8 womens rtw spots for the entire senior class which has well over 100 students.

In regards to what the article says about students scoffing at the idea of working at moderated prices companies like Gap, Banana, etc., (speaking for myself) I'm worried if I were to start at that level I may never leave. A moderate priced limbo.

I'm a Parson's graduate who focused on accessories, mainly shoes. Shoes are my passion, dear let me tell you how many dreams I had. I really thought Manolo would come banging my door down- but that never happened. I had to intern at Kenneth Cole, and it taught me the production end of things. Then I did a stint at Nine West, talk about not being able to use your knowledge. And a few other companies I thought lowly of. I finally decided to learn the craft more (In Italy and London), and a few years later I was able to finally get consulting gigs with designers that I admire, which lead to job offers on the actual design teams.

I'm still getting my own design firm off the ground, but it's not easy. I never realized how many components are involved, I mean I knew but geesh lol. I'm on pins and needles praying that those in the factories don't make a mistake lol. My security blankets are totally gone, well slightly lol. No one is going to give me my money back. But I honestly think had I not given blood, sweat, and tears in another persons company I'd be clueless.

Also if you allow so much arrogance to enter your world, you'll never see the end result, it will be hard to the humbling factor IMO. I'm grateful for the time spent at the places where I swore (at the time) was a waste of my time, because without that vital training I'd have no idea how to realize my designs and dreams. It's one think to dream, but something very different to actually see a design come to life, and that takes craft. I happened to learn the many different aspects to the craft of shoemaking from working for others for a while.

Just giving you some realistic advice, because I never forgot my dream-- I just found a different path to it. Working for others, even the lesser luxurious brands humbles you in so many ways, and there is where I gained a new found respect for the entire process. I personally feel without it, I would've been one of the many designers whose dreams are never realized.

I wish you all the best, but I wouldn't worry so much about staying in a company, because if it's truly your dream to be a designer with your own line-- you'll do it. Think about all the designers who went this route that didn't allow their dreams to be deferred. Learning is beautiful, especially from others.

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
you do need confidence...TONS OF IT...
but arrogance is a huge turn off...
people will probably laugh at you for being arrogant at a young age...because they know what you don't...
that you are just one of thousands...and if you think you are special...you are probably wrong...you are just one of the many who think they are...

and they truth is also...
that you might make more money working for the gap than at mcqueen...
it all depends what is important to you...and what you need to survive...
those of us working out there already know that...
and the sooner the newcomers figure that out (as lena said)...
the better for them...

the 'arrogance of youth' could easily be your downfall out there...
it's a slippery slope...
even as you climb...you could all to quickly slide back down...
just learn to catch yourself when you fall...
and get going forward again as quickly as you can..
it's the best advice i can give at this time...

:flower:

Great comments Oria, I think that is a really vital perspective and softie I totally agree. Everyone thinks they are special, and thats part of the problem. I'm really enjoying this thread.

I don't think the problem is that everyone thinks they are special, a lot of people have very special things to offer. But, these things aren't always marketable, and a lot more goes into the business of fashion than just a great design.

You make me NOT want to have anything to do with fashion studies :cry:

if hard work turns you off then this industry definately isn't for you. TheGloryofThe80's SOME people have special things to offer but I also think that a large part of people who get into design school enjoy fashion but prefer the glamour and really don't have that much to offer. A lot of people who made it big didn't necessarily go to design school so what does that say? That it's easy to make it or schools are putting out people who can't cut the muster?

Parsons alumna Anna Sui is among those who lament the loss of dedication to training and paying dues.

"What strikes me is that they have a lessened appreciation for the craft behind design," she said. "Everyone wants to be a designer but they don't always understand that they have to also be a pattern-maker, a seamstress, a tailor, etc., to really build a successful business."

I heard Miuccia Prada couldn't sew.

thanks for the reality check post oria, nice to have you back on board :heart:

softgrey: that you might make more money working for the gap than at mcqueen...
it all depends what is important to you...and what you need to survive...

thats so true, most designer ateliers cash in the hype while recycling brilliant -non payed- interns.. try to find a paying post in a Parisian atelier, its the creeps
massproduction is 'easier' to work in but its a cut throat bussiness that has nothing to do with 'creativity' or 'expression', one mainly follows orders , copies/alters on something a 'distinquished' designer showed (which may be a useless piece of trash) and says yes (usually to a less tasteful but better 'connected' head of team)

c'est la vie..

thats when time came i've choosen to start on my own, built my little label, do my thing, it wasnt easy but it sure worked well for me.

Article Pictures....

Here are the pictures from the article!!!!!

i like the little bomber jacket, its cute
thanks heyjude :flower:

I'm familiar with her past, and her political activism whilst in Yves saint laurent.

screenage said:
I'm familiar with her past, and her political activism whilst in Yves saint laurent.

:unsure: Well then, you understand why Miuccia Prada is not a good example of someone who made it as a fashion designer without being able to sew.

* granddaughter

I also heard that Rei Kawakubo explains all her instructions/ideas to her seamstresses verbally because she doesn't sew.

John

Hey, that's on topic (sort of)... :P

Because while I don't necessarily think that most aspiring designers can relate to Miuccia (there aren't too many people who inherit a company), I think that some can relate to Rei Kawakubo. I don't know her background very well, but I don't believe she was came from such a background of privelege. As such, I think she is an example of somebody who, through sheer vision and hard work more than through technical ability... was able to establish a great brand.

John

My second response

I don't deny the fact that there is something to be learned at these other companies. But I also do feel that sometimes that in order to succeed you need to have that youthful arrogance/confidence. When people tell you it can't be done you do it anyway. I imagine it's similar to being an actor or musician.

However, the past is paved with many who have tried and few who have succeeded. I understand everything that's been said in this thread and it's all always on my mind. I'm not quite sure what I will do after I graduate, much less how my senior year will play out. I often discuss with my friend how much fresh talent there is out there

In regards to the pay from these companies, we're always told in school that you will probably get paid more at these moderate priced companies. I've heard Mr. Jacobs is notorious for how underpaid his staff, not to mention the lack of creativity when it comes to putting together his collections.

In the end I still think it comes down to money. The discussion seems to be about the lack of experiences students have and how it correlates with how successful they can be. However, with enough money and good design abilities someone can find success, which sometimes doesn't neccessarly have to do with an understanding of how to make a button hole or draft a pattern.

Conversely, you do have to understand construction in order to make a design work. I mean, I've seen students illustrate garments that would never work because it's lacking the neccessary seaming in the flats or the garment defies what the fabric can do and the student can offer know construction solution for hot it's accomplished.

But, to finish up my statement about money, if you have good ideas/designs and the money to do it, it doesn't matter how much you know about production and business because people who know those things can be hired. You can send your flats to someone to make patterns for them. Money unfortunately (?) is what makes this world go round.

For the record, I'm not against expanding ones knowledge on production, pattern making, draping, etc. I mean my designs have improved with my understanding of each. I know it seems like this post is a bunch of double talk at times, but I'm speaking from both sides. My first post was more me stating what I think deep down inside and what I feel some other design students from all schools think. When it comes down to it, I won't advoid working for a smaller company. In fact, I'm starting an unpaid internship this Monday with an extremely small company that designs clothes that aren't in line with my own design theory, but it's an amazing chance to learn a great deal.

I'd also like to state I am not a fashion snob who feels companies like Gap, Banana, etc. are crap and not needed. Not everyone can afford luxury, I know I certainly can't. If I could afford all the luxury clothes I'd like I probably wouldn't have to worry about how would I ever beable to fund my company.

To conclude, I actually think that you start to realize how "un-special" you are when you see there are hundreds of talented people with a design vision and that only within your on school. Unless of course you're just so arrogrant and confident that you think you're the next big thing and everything else your fellow students produce is crap. Which to that I simply say :rolleyes: . I've only had the misfortune of meeting one individual like that in my life and that was back in high school (I'm sure there are people at school who think it, but never verbalize it).

P.S.:
It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but I remember reading that in another article that Ashleigh's mother provided the $50,000 needed to get her collection off ground and meet the production for her first sales.

I think I'm going to have to sponsor a very aspiring designer :wink:

:wink: Sponsor... like i'm one of those kids Sally Struthers puts on TV

Luna said:
:wink: Sponsor... like i'm one of those kids Sally Struthers puts on TV
spon·sor (sp
obreve.gif
n
prime.gif
s
schwa.gif
r)
  1. One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
  2. One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group, especially a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.
Ms Hotshot designer Moderator super cool lady

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->