Retinol

Virginielle

Reaction score
I understand that Retinol is the purest form of Vitamin A, and is commonly used to aid the resurfacing and rejuvenating of skin (often aging skin).

What kind of effects does Retinol have upon young skin? Light sensitivity is a side-effect (I'm told); is this because the skin is made thinner, or is simply newer? After the peeling stage, are breakouts a common occurrence with further usage? Are any of the effects on young skin negative enough to avoid it as a whole?

Anyone have personal experience with Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle products (most of which contain Retinol, I believe)? I like the night cream from that line and would like to know if it's potentially causing damage to my skin.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a tretinoin cream on my face to clear up some pigment discoloration. Tretinoin is the acid form of vitamin A, and although it makes my face peel like crazy if I overuse it, it does its job. You just have to be really careful with your skin when using a retinol or tretinoin -- moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, and make sure you're always wearing sunscreen. I haven't noticed any breakouts associated with my usage. :flower:

I went to the dermatologist last summer, and he prescribed Retin-a-micro. It's a vitamin A derivative, used in the treatment of acne. I don't have breakouts like I used to, but it does irritate the skin a bit-especially when used often. Just use it very moderately, and don't wear a lot of make-up, and all that. I know I'm a guy, and I'm also no dermatologist, but the the best thing we can do is treat our bodies good. You can't fight genetics, but you can try and fight enrivonmental stressors

Thanks for the input, guys.

I've been using Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream and I kind of love it! I broke out for a little while, but it's possible that it was hormonal or that my skin was "purging" as it is like to do when undergoing Retinol treatment, according to what I have read. The stuff itself goes on in the most wonderful way---it's a night cream but I notice a difference in the way my complexion looks the very moment it goes on my skin. It seems calm, but.. bright? And my skin looks great in the morning when I wake up. If this stuff had SPF in it, I'd wear it during the day without makeup. I'm wary of it only because it seems that something this good must have a catch. Am I thinning my young skin with cream formulated for more mature faces?

I will probably try the daytime version with SPF, but I don't know if it will be the same texture. If it is, I'm set. I still have some questions about Retinol, however. Anyone know of a knowledgeable source I can browse?

Vitamin A simply restores collagen within the skin. It's not going to overproduce it if you're young. It's primarily for anti-wrinkle/aging. And yeh, it's natural that your skin gets worse before it gets better

Have you tried here?--> http://www.retinolskincare.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->