retinoid product for daily use?

I have stopped usuing Retin A for the past week, and my skin is looking much better. As in the peeling has stopped, but i am getting small whiteheads all over my face. I think I'm just going to try to use retin A a couple times a week, applying only a very very thin layer. I made an appoinment with my derm...but shes so in demand that the closest appoinment i got was in mid november!!:doh: But when i do visit, i will ask her about tazarotene, retin A gel and differin. I do not really want to go on antibiotics. I had really bad acne all through my teenage years and two years ago, i went on accutane. All though it worked wonders, my acne is slowly coming back, not as severe as before, but i get a few whiteheads a day. Thanks alot for the ideas and cocerns Stochastic and lucy92.:flower:I really appreciate it. I used to go to my derm and only get the medication she recommended without asking any questions, but this time I'm definitely asking about different solutions and thier side effects.

angeldreamz, maybe you should look into laser therapy to decrease the oil production. talk to your parents. that might be less money that shelling out for prescriptions.

To decrease oil production, you might try spironolactone (a relatively low dose). Only side effect is it makes you thirsty, but I drink water all the time anyway. Really works.

Also, Zania is a combination topical drug that includes retinoids (also antibiotic), and it's super-gentle. My derm said it was very expensive--I'm still using the samples so I don't yet know what that really means. I have very sensitive skin, so if it's gentle on me, should be on you too. It's so good I can see why they would charge out the wazoo for it :innocent:

PS As far as oral antibiotics, Solodyn is fantastic.

PPS I currently have Finacea, and have done Retin-A in the past, including the gel, and both are irritating to my skin. The original Retin-A I couldn't tolerate at all back in the day, but they have improved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i used differin back in the day and i never had any problems with it whatsoever.
your insurance may cover differin more than other retin a products.

--i switched to the 0.5 % tretinoin generic cream, one up higher than the lowest percentage one, and it is working the same if not a bit better than the lower one. i'm glad i switched higher, i want to see what difference it's going to make in 6 weeks.

--if you're having difficulty seeing your derm, have u tried getting a script written by a plastic surgeon? they are medical doctors too, and sometimes are more available than a derm. does anyone else feel that sometimes they are more honest and informative than derms? i do. i am thinking about taking my skin care needs and prescriptions to them instead, since they are just as allowed to write scripts as traditional doctors.

--anyone else notice that after a few days of not using your retinoid product, your acne comes back? i notice that might really appears if i stop using for more than 2 days.

all the derms ive gone to have been a bit negative ie. "no that doesnt work". "theres not much you can do for that" blah blah, or thought that some of my skin problems were inconsequential.

im thinking if i went to a NYC derm i might get a more positive spin on things.

but thats an interesting idea to get a refferal to a plastic surgeon....

are a lot of retin a products over the counter in europe and elsewhere?

^ I've gotten that before too ... when you go to a new dr and everything's under control, and they say, I see you have some scarring, but what's the problem?

Not lately though. At my last appt the dr congratulated me on how well I had everything covered with makeup :lol:

angeldreamz, I think you just need a different product. There are lots of things out there, I'd keep trying to find something that works a lot better than what you're describing.

what i found to be really strange is how some derms say that tretinoin is an exfoliant when it isn't. what have any of u done about this? i started using an AHA for exfoliation purposes, and then apply tretinoin after the AHA. i dont wash any of them off until the morning.

how about u?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->