Revival of Schiaparelli

Crying Diamonds

Geometric Discharge
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard the rumour about the revival of the legendary fashion house of Schiaparelli??
I heard that it could be possible that Giles Deacon would be the new creative director as some surrealist themes have popped up in his collections

:o

SchiaparelliTime.jpg

(www.wikipedia.org.)
On the front of Time magazine

Elsa Schiaparelli (1890-1973) was famous for:
  • Surrealist designs
  • Inventing the colour 'shocking pink'
  • Being the first to use the human figure for a perfume bottle
  • Being the first to use shoulderpads in fashion (no Schiaparelli, no 80's chic!)
  • Being the first to use zips the same colour as the dress they were on
  • Experimenting with synthetic materials
Could Giles Deacon (or anyone for that matter) take the place of one of the most influential fashion designers in history?

blacksuedeandcrocodileskinnailsarts.jpg

(www.artsjournal.com)
Black suede gloves with red crocodile skin nails

shockingdeschiaparelliosmozfr.jpg

(www.osmoz.fr)
Shocking - parfum de Schiaparelli

fulllengtheveningcoatwithCocteaudes.jpg

(www.thisislondon.co.uk)
Full length evening coat with Cocteau design

eveningdresswwwsbacedu.jpg

(www.sbac.edu)

columndressva.jpg

Column Dress

skeletondressva.jpg
skeletondress2va.jpg

The Skeleton Dress

Shockingpinkeveningdressva.jpg

Shocking Pink evening dress

EveningdressandheadscarfinTearde-1.jpg
EveningdressandheadscarfinTeardesig.jpg

Evening dress and headscarf in Tear design - Summer/Fall 1938
(all above pictures from www.vam.ac.uk)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would honestly be shocked...

it would be awesome, but I doubt it.. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Where did you hear that? i read it on a few blogs, but no legitimate source yet.

If your source on that is wikipedia.. then i'd believe it is only rumor. wikipedia has a nasty habit of providing false information.

I don't think it was, I have a feeling it was on Vogue.com, like the updates of news they have on that :S
And I think it would be tres cool but difficult also :smile:

I've just been looking on Vogue.co.uk and I didn't imagine this rumour!! Here are several quotes from several different linked articles on Vogue.co.uk:
THE latest high-fashion rumour getting everyone hot under the collar in Paris? ThatGiles Deacon may be just the man Diego Della Valle has been seeking to resurrect the house of Elsa Schiaparelli. The Italian business mogul - who also owns Tod's - bought the rights to the name earlier this year and has been on the hunt for a designer to bring the influential house back to its former glory since; talks with Roland Mouret have reportedly fallen through and Della Valle has approached Deacon to discuss the position, WWD has revealed. The idea of a deal has weight; the Giles spring/summer 2008 show during London Fashion Week was permeated by a surrealist, wood-nymph theme not a million miles removed from the look championed by Schiaparelli in the Thirties, notoriously influenced by her peers, Salvador Dali and Jean Cocteau. Watch this space. (October 4 2007, AM)
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=47730

...Following reports that Deacon was top of Della Valle's list to head up the revival of Elsa Schiaparelli, an industry source has revealed to...
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=48716

...reports suggest he has also been courting Giles Deacon to spearhead the resurrection of the house of Elsa Schiaparelli, which he bought the rights to earlier this year...
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=47838

*SCREAM*
I'm so happy I wasn't imagining the whole thing!!! :buzz:
:heart::heart::heart:

ewww....giles deacon???!! if they're going to revive schiaparelli they better get somebody who can truly hone the legacy of irreverance of her work because otherwise it will look tame and boring. her work was dynamic and legendary and reall set the pace for the kawakubo's,margiela's,de castlebajac's et al. giles deacon is okay but with his own work and i don't think he will do well. and they better do better with the structure,as this attempt will be like the revival of vionnet who's been changing designers like underpants the last year since they did revive.

btw,we should move this to Designers & Collections.

i just read diane pernet's blog and she mentioned a candiadate that would be SUPERB for schiaparelli.....Marjan Pejoski! as she said just think about it. marjan would uphold the legacy with his own brand of irreverence and creativity and he also would have strong enough vision to bring the house into the 21st century.

Has anyone seen the latest Giles collection for Winter 2008?
Some of the pieces are tres... abstract
and that one light pink puffy jacket, if you scrape off the puffyness, does have a very 1930's feel about it.

OH
MY
GOD
Marjan Pejoski as in, Bjork swan dress?? That is such a good idea! And SO Schiaparelli.
love love love

the collection is good but i dunno if it's necessarily surreal. and i dunno if he would have the kind surrealistic imagination that would bring her spirit back.

yeah marjan is the swan dress createur. but he's done even better work since then,imo. just check some of the threads in D&C :wink:

i'm sorry i keep being so critical but i agree with diane again....i just wonder where how they pick some of the people they do for some of these houses. it's been pretty lame,lately,if you ask me.

I abso-f*ckin-lutely agree with Scott ... his pics are pitch perfect ... and Marjan seems like a good choice ..

I seriously doubt someone can live up to the Schiaparelli name ... but some illusion/evasion is need on the fashion world ... NOW ... ASAP

you know i'd love to see it happen but i wouldn't want them to go into half-hack. it better be carefully thought out and it better be brilliant because that's a strong personality and legacy to live up to. and to throw out a name like giles feels a bit too spontaneous a decision. marjan just seems too obvious.

i didn't even know that della Valle had bought the name....does anyone know who owned the rights to use it before him?

Just got around to looking at Marjan Pejoski's ss 08 collection - some of his work is totally Schiaparelli, seriously; he can effortlessly put together elegance with surrealism and new ideas, and could be a perfect candidate for the revival of the House of Schiaparelli seeing as, not only are his designs worthy of Schiaparelli, but he could also bring those 'twenties/'thirties ideas into the modern day.
MarjanPejoski.png

Doesn't this print seriously remind you of the liquid lines of the print of the Tear Dress?

Plus another thing: I would totally buy fingernail gloves if they were to bring them back with Schiap :smile:
xx

i didn't even know that della Valle had bought the name....does anyone know who owned the rights to use it before him?

I've looked all through Google and I can't find a single thing about who Della Valle bought the rights to Schiaparelli from.:unsure:

:heart::heart::heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->