Ria Thomas - Knitwear designer

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
2008-09-08

Ria Thomas

Knitwear may have been regarded as something grannies would do, but a new voice in fashion, brit Ria Thomas, has emerged to totally kill those long standing views.
Passionate about knitting from an early age, Ria never cared what other people thought of such an "uncool" hobby. She always wanted to go into fashion and wanted to combine studying fashion with knitwear. Her work involves using traditional techniques in a contemporary setting.

During Graduate Fashion Week this year, Ria won the prestigious Pringle of Scotland Visionary Knitwear Award with her 6 piece collection featuring knitted garments and chunky knitwear taking the form of dresses, sweaters and cardigans. Her inspiration was the landscape of human body. When designing the collection, she imagined pealing back layers of skin to reveal and expose inner systems and the contours of the outer form. Sounds kinda of yucky, but the results were incredible.

Having just concluded her final year at Nottingham Trent University studying Fashion Knitwear Design and Knitted Textiles, she already has freelance work lined up and has been offered the opportunity to continue her studies with a Masters at the university.

"Ideally I'd love to have my own collection in London and at London Fashion Week.", she says. I could very well see this happening, I would totally wear everything in her collection! If you like her stuff, you might also want to check Sandra Backlund's work, who also gives new meaning to knitwear, though her clothes are somewhat less wearable in the day to day.

wickedhaloblogspot.com

thanks soft :flower:

her work is really inspiring... she is definitely one of the people doing great things with knitwear currently. I love the diversity within the individual pieces.

oh WOW! thanks for the picts, i never knew knits can be so not boring... and sexy!

Thanks for the thread, softgrey
That article was nice - glad Sandra Buckland was mentioned, too.. :heart:
I think this is very beautiful and rly well done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->