Ridley Scott to bring back Russell Crowe for 'Gladiator' sequel

http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/detail/id/195975

Random guess: Crowe comes back from the dead to save his beloved Rome from....the Queen's son who's all grown up and is now evil like his uncle. Or the Queen's son has been dethroned by some evil senate member and Crowe needs to put him back in power.

Oh well, either way, it sounds like it's going to be fabulous. Gladiator is my favorite Crowe movie ^_^

cool, the first gladiator was great!

They will probably bring good old General Max back as a Roman god or something equally as rubbish.

Loved Gladiator but feel it should be left alone. Ridley Scott would be mad to try and make the sequel.

Oh this is lame. I'm not watching it, I hate when they do sequels like this, its ruins the feeling of original movie!!

I'm going to watch it and love it even if it does turn out stupid. :smile:

WT...?

I loved Gladiator and could proablby quote the entire movie but it's not a soap opera. I mean, let's not ruin a good thing. And if Maxiumus comes back from the dead than Commodus should too.:innocent:

But then again, I've never seen a Ridley Scott flick that I didn't like so I'll proablby want to see it anyway.

Perhaps it will be a prequel...

I thought this would be a prequel until I read,

"despite Crowe's character having been killed off. Scott intends to write around the problem of Crowe dying at the finale of his 2000 smash hit".

Sequels are usually worse than the original, which is bad news I guess since Gladiator was such a terribly overrated mess of a movie.

Nooooo! They can't do this, and ruin Gladiator forever.
Sequels are always poor compared to the original, so just leave it alone please!!

If he can bring back Crowe, he should at least bring back Joaquin too:lol:

That is what I was thinking Trublu and fashionicon! Ah Gladiator, the movie that made me wish I had an incestuous brother *cough* (it's ok, I'm an only child :( :lol:)

I disagree with you ChinaLove in that it was a mess. I think it is THE best done blockbuster of all time and I can watch it endlessly. I spent so many formative years at school wandering round in piles of fabric and ribbon trying to be Lucilla! The music was perfect, the actors were perfect and the plot was perfect Roman soap opera. And lets not forget that most of the old Hollywood Roman epics like Ben-Hur etc etc are magnificently soapy too. That does not a bad film make, though I do think Ridley Scott can produce some fine clangers -Black Hawk Down anyone? GI Jane?

However the idea of a sequal is just horrible to me, especially with a film I love. I mean Kapur is doing Elizabeth II and that was another over blown, period film that I loved (as a film! I remember my history teachers getting so cross over it and I was like, 'err it is entertainment, not a history lesson?") and I am not sure I am going to go see it. Even so, knowing there is a sequal would ruin a movie for me. I never particularly loved the Matrix and I never saw the sequels but knowing that they existed really ruins the endurance of a film. If they do go ahead with this, Gladiator won't go down as a great early turn of the century epic, it will go down as a franchise of varying quality films. Not quite the same thing.

Gladiator is a fantastic movie, but it was a masterpiece on it's own. It doesn't need anything more.

At least this isn't as bad as the idea of making a sequal to Kingdom of Heaven. I'm one who loved that movie, but that was a horrible idea. It might have even suceeded in ruining KOH for me. Thank god it was only a rumor.

Retro said:
cool, the first gladiator was great!

I agree...it was....I'm not sure how I feel about a sequel. I don't want to get my hopes up...but ridley scott is an awesome director...so hopefully it'll be great! :smile:

I'm not really sure if this moving is going to be really huge, as "Gladiator" .. but apart from that, I think I would be interested in watching it.

Maybe it could take place in Elysium or whatever the hero afterlife.

That was my first assumption Atelier... However the first movie did not bring the gods into it which gave it a historical rather than mythical feel. If they have it in Elysium it will be so far removed from the first. I guess we'll see.

I enjoyed gladiator, my favourite thing about it was the cinematography and the brilliant score, which I listen to every week, Hans Zimmer did a great job. I wouldn't list it in my top 30 or 40 but I thought it was a very moving and well executed film and i'm surprised that Ridley wants to revive it - although he DOES have a huge history of sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->