Roxanne Lowit - Photographer

rh85

Reaction score

lowit.jpg

Roxanne Lowit is a New York-based fashion and celebrity photographer who is said to have "become as much a celebrity as those she photographed."

Roxanne Lowit is on location photographing the singer Pharrell Williams and his production partner Chad Hugo outside the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York. As the boys slip in front of her camera, Lowit begins the session when a fan yells out from the crowd, "You're being photographed by a legend!"

After almost three decades of shooting, Roxanne Lowit is as much a celebrity as the icons she photographs. "Some of my most historical pictures come from private and public parties like those of Andy Warhol - he was out all the time," she remembers. As was Salvador Dali, Paloma Picasso, Elizabeth Taylor, and Mick Jagger. Today it's Madonna, George Clooney, Sophia Coppola and Nicolas Cage. Lowit is so much a part of the fashion and pop culture scene that she is, says designer Karl Lagerfeld, "A visual confidant to whom all is revealed." This is nowhere more apparent than in her second book, People.

But Lowit did not go to school to be a photographer. She graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York with a degree in art history and textile design. It was during her successful career as a textile designer that she realized something. "I paint and there were people who I wanted to sit for me but had no time, so I started taking pictures of them. I liked the gratification of getting the instant image so I traded in my paintbrushes for a camera." Lowit started making pictures in the late 70's with her 110 instamatic, photographing her own designs at the New York fashion shows. Before long she was covering all the designers in Paris where her friends – models like Jerry Hall – would sneak her backstage. It was there that she found her place (and career) in fashion. "For me, that's where it was happening," she says. "No one thought there was anything going on backstage, so for years I was alone and loved it. I guess I made it look too good because now it's so crowded with photographers. But there's enough room for everybody."

Today, her candid photographs of the glamorous and beautiful being spontaneous and having fun have appeared in many magazines, such as Italian Vanity Fair, French Elle, V Magazine, and Glamour, and become a vehicle for much of her advertising work, including campaigns for Dior, Barney's NY and Vivian Westwood. Whether it's a story in German Vogue or an award-winning ad campaign for Emporio Armani, the result is photographs that are stylish, unguarded and outrageously wild. "I'm excited when I'm able to do what I do," she says. "I like crossing all borders and doing all things." Her historic images have also been the center of many one-woman shows throughout Europe and in New York and appeared in the Haute Couture Show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

In Lowit's first book, Moments, Lagerfeld deftly defines the legend; "Roxanne is fashion's historian; One whose absence is felt, whose presence is merely sensed."

I have always thought that Irving Penn, Richard Avedon and Helmut Newton are the great trinity of the fashion photographers so when I saw this picture by Lowit I was really fascinated, like a dream came true. :woot:

source picture:younggalleryphoto.com

Attachments

• lowitt_roxanne (1).jpg
    lowitt_roxanne (1).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 6
my new fave picture, Herb Ritts and Steven Meisel ... and Christy Turlington. :lol:

I have to love this picture, I knew they were real great friends but never knew how much :P

Attachments

• lowitt_roxanne.jpg
    lowitt_roxanne.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Lindbergh, Arthur Elgort and Patrick Demarchelier :woot: :woot::rolleyes:

I love to see all these legends together :blush:

Attachments

• lowitt_roxanne (3).jpg
    lowitt_roxanne (3).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
Ellen Von Unwerth and Mario Testino ^_^:rolleyes:

Attachments

• lowitt_roxanne (2).jpg
    lowitt_roxanne (2).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 8
Robert Mapplethorpe :woot:
sourcer picture:guyhepner.com

Attachments

• mapplethorpe.jpg
    mapplethorpe.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 4
Helmut Newton, Paris 1996 ^_^

Attachments

• helmut.jpg
    helmut.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keith Haring, NY 1985 :heart:

[/FONT]source picture:younggalleryphoto.com

Attachments

• haring.jpg
    haring.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4
Jean Paul Goude, 1981

Attachments

• goude.jpg
    goude.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
Thank you so much for the pic with Steven Meisel :woot:Love it :lol:
I have her book "Moments",i love it.

Thank you so much for the pic with Steven Meisel :woot:Love it :lol:
I have her book "Moments",i love it.

are all those pictures of the photographers in that "Moments" book? or is it other? :huh:

i'll check when i get home:flower:

None of those are in Moments,except it has different versions of the [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keith Haring,[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]and the[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]Peter Lindbergh, Arthur Elgort and Patrick Demarchelier pics.

Dior Fall/Winter 95.96 (Ad Campaign)
Model: Carla Bruni

community.livejournal.com/styleregistry

Roxanne Lowit " Guest Editor "
US VOGUE April 1999
rl.jpg
ellastica scan

US Vogue February 1993

Photo Roxanne Lowit

My scans

L'Uomo Vogue November 1993

Tweed Saga
Photographers: Manuela Pavesi, Roxanne Lowit & Patrik Andersson.
Fashion Editor: Lori Goldstein
Hair: Ward Stegerhoek
Makeup: Denise Markey/Stephen Knoll
Stars: Christophe Boussard, Steven Brinke and Henrik Holst (Andersson); Philip Treacy, Jeremy Hackett, Ciaran Partka and Dave Whatley (Pavesi); Degen Pener, Marcus von Ackermann, Paul Cavaco, Toshiki Matsui, Bob Colacello and Edgar Otte (Lowit)
Models (Lowit, all uncredited:( Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Carla Bruni & Unknown

Scans by LylaScans

Vogue Italia February 1989
"Misteriosa"
Model: Lauren Hutton
Photographer: Roxanne Lowit

archivio.vogue.it via lavieenrose

Vogue Germany April 1995

Model: Linda Evangelista
Photographer: Roxanne Lowitt

vogue.de

US Vogue July 1994

Fashion On The Move
Photographer: Roxanne Lowit
Models: Nadja Auermann, Linda Evangelista, Debbie Deitering, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Shalom Harlow, Bridget Hall, Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Christy Turlington, Amber Valletta, Karen Mulder and unidentified

Vogue Archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Byron Boy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->