Ruffian S/S 08 NYC

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
Brian Wolk and Claude Morais have a rarefied vision. They make confectionary-sweet clothes for the good life and seem not to care too much about their hip quotient. With the fashion pendulum swinging back toward the pulled-together, there were many pieces in their Spring collection that looked right. Take, for instance, a one-shoulder cocktail number in hot pink satin-faced organza with a frill running down one side. But there were others, like a ruff-neck coat in that same shocking hue, that will never see the south side of 14th Street.

The designers said they were working with twin inspirations: Madame de Pompadour and seventies punk. The former, unsurprisingly, was the more obvious, bursting forth in wallpaper florals and outsize, at times over-the-top, ruffles. You had to look more closely for the hard edges, but they were there—in the form of a jeweled gold belt punctuating an organdy blouse and silk skirt, or a row of buttons that created an interesting rippled effect on the sleeves of a short, nipped-waist, white cotton dress.

Those sound like minor details, but for Wolk and Morais they could be the beginnings of an intriguing new direction—one that might help them cultivate a fan base in the downtown scene.

4xzxpc8.jpg
52wrqr9.jpg

style.com

Everything here is so eye friendly: the colors, not too bright; cuts and shapes, not too sharp. Some of the details remind me so much of Rodarte that I get this feeling I'm looking at one of their older collections.

Pretty in pink. The work is consistent even though I don't see the punk influence anywhere as they stated.
Reminds me somewhat of Tuleh.

It's elegant and wearable but not boring

the makeup is distracting.

the only thing that caught my eye was the striped dress with the black ruffle down the side. too much frou frou, too much satin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->