Russell James - Photographer

agee

Reaction score
Russell James Autobiographical Sketch from his Facebook:

Born in Australia, I started my career as a laborer in a trash can factory. It took more then two decades to find my way from Perth, Australia to the fashion world of New York City. I traveled the world from 1987 to 1996 trying get my photography career started. In 1997, I was on the brink of having to admit defeat and go back to Australia and get a factory job, but then I got my 'break'. I was asked to shoot Tyra Banks for the cover of Sports Illustrated and to shoot a fashion story for W magazine in the same week. That was really the beginning of my career that now includes photographing for major brands and magazines, as well as my personal art photography that has regular gallery openings in cities around the world. In the more recent years, my passion has extended to using my art to create awareness and raise funds for preservation of culture and child health research.

I am lucky to have three amazing children, Emily, Lola and Harry, who are a great inspiration for me, and I love my job more today than the day I started.

I am passionate about my work for preservation of culture that was inspired by my relationship with Australian indigenous people. I love to go sailing when I get the chance, though that is rare these days.

Russell James Portrait Book (2009)
Model: Karolina Kurkova

24-timepass.com, lovevsmodels via tFS member michelabella

Last edited by a moderator:
Esprit Underwater Campaign 2010
Photographer: Russell James
Models: Andrew Cooper and Anne Vyalitsyna
Source: Russell James Facebook

Rolex Spring / Summer 2005
Model: Alessandra Ambrosio
Sources: modelinia; Vanity Fair via tFS member Alicia9

e9zrcz.jpg

Publication: Sports Illustrated, 1997
Model: Tyra Banks
Source: sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Client: Victoria's Secret (Spring 2009)
Model: Tyra Banks
Model: Alessandra Ambrosio
Source: models.com

Publication: Vogue Austrailia, June 1996
Model: Charlotte Dodds
Source: Fashion Model Directory

21azrtl.jpg

Publication: Vogue Spain, August 2001
Source: Fashion Model Directory

14vhhed.jpg

Publication: Photo Magazine July / August 2009
Model: Gisele Bundchen
Source: art8amby/wordpress

250i2s5.jpg

Publication: Photo Magazine
Source: theseventh.com

158029e.jpg

Publication: Photo Magazine March / April 2004
Model: Adriana Lima
Source: models.com

9u5gk9.jpg

Client: Urban Zen by Donna Karan (June 2010)
Source: Russell James Facebook

2m5klm0.jpg
jv3q8m.jpg
2unvgqe.jpg
1255qog.jpg
10qjmkh.jpg
2gxo32s.jpg
28l8c5v.jpg
xn4y9g.jpg

Project: Nomad Two Worlds, Part 1 of 2
Sources: Russell James' Facebook and dipdive.com
Created by world renowned photographer Russell James, Nomad Two Worlds is a collaborative art project with indigenous artists. In the last decade it has evolved from James' attempt to understand the troubling cultural divide he witnessed growing up in Australia to what it is today, a powerful expression of partnership and reconciliation in action through art, music and film that has become a global example of true collaboration across deep divides.

From its humble beginnings as an art exhibition in New York in 1999 Nomad Two Worlds endured the years leading up to the global event known in the political narrative simply as "The Apology", the 2008 public apology made to Indigenous Australians by the then Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd.

H12940361382218026_4.jpg

Project: Nomad Two Worlds, Part 2 of 2
Models / Celebs: Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima,
Apl.de.ap, Fergie, Yfke Sturm, Heidi Klum, Nicole Trunfio and Noemie Lenoir
Sources: Russell James' Facebook and dipdive.com

G129403640422153_2.jpg

Gisele Bundchen by Russell James
Sources: RussellJames.com and Russell James Facebook

Für eine größere Auswahl klicken Sie bitte auf das Foto (camerawork.de)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From camerawork.de (English translation):
RUSSELL JAMES
Exhibition from 02 April to 7 May 2011
More information about the exhibition, see the press release

CAMERA WORK is proud to present to re-work of Russell James. Never before seen nude photos of the most beautiful women in the world from the "V2" to take pictures of his artistic project "Nomad - Two Worlds" and view other icons, such as scenic images from the backstage area of the famous Victoria's Secret show added.

Russell James' recordings of the eight beautiful women Brooklyn Decker, Miranda Kerr, Candice Swanepoel, Erin Heatherton, Emanuela de Paula, Jarah Mariano, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Lindsay Ellingson is on the picturesque island of Necker Iceland under the title "V2" summarized and developed in one, the accompanying exhibition book was.

Smart is the New Sexy
youtube/GlobalPovertyProject
Uploaded on Mar 14, 2011
Directed by Russell James.
Featuring Erin Heatherton.
Music by Future Islands.

Victoria's Secret 2011 Swim Catalog
Model: Candice Swanepoel
Sources: victoriassecret.com via lovevsmodels via Juliax

2568y3c.jpg

I thought that I read somewhere that he was involved in the making of the video below but I am not 100% sure.

youtube/VICTORIASSECRET

RussellJames featured on CNBC's Best Job Ever

NomadRussellJames via Lovemusic22

Uploaded by NomadRussellJames on Dec 4, 2011

Thanks to Candice, Adriana and Victoria's Secret President Ed Razek for telling such generous lies about me in this segment for CNBC that aired last month. I'll be paying them off forever.

Donna Karan S/S 2012
Adriana Lima by Russell James

HAITI ON HER MIND: Donna Karan is clearly passionate about Haiti. She’s been spending much time on the island since it was struck by an earthquake in 2010, and has worked with local artisans on new designs. Haiti also informed her spring 2012 collection — particularly its black-and-white graphics inspired by Haitian artist Philippe Dodard — so it made sense for the designer to shoot the ad campaign there. Karan enlisted her photographer friend Russell James of collaborative art project “Nomad Two Worlds” to shoot the visuals, and tapped Brazilian model Adriana Lima, best known as a Victoria’s Secret angel, to appear in it. “I have never used her before, and I am totally in love with her,” Karan told WWD. “She shows the heart and soul of Haiti.”

Shot in the Southern Haiti town of Jacmel, several of the atmospheric images feature Lima in the Hotel Florita or on a “tap tap” taxi typical to Haiti. The campaign will break in fashion and lifestyle books in March, and the company is also producing a 16-page image brochure for consumers with more photos and details about the inspiration for the season and campaign.
wwd.com via tarsha and vivaglam

I :heart: this video and did not realize that Russell James directed it, from his Facebook:

Title: Victoria's Secret 'Going to the Chapel'

This video I directed for Victoria's Secret with the adorable Lily Aldridge was a load of fun and gave me a new take on 'Bridal' To bad we just had 'wedding' as a category. Perfect lead in! I'm curious if anyone can tall whether I shot this on a RED camera or a Canon 5d? And if so let me know how you figured it out. Happy weekend
April 16, 2011

youtube / VICTORIASSECRET

youtube / emliy4123​

I am not sure if he directed / remixed this version featuring an Etta James song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtcjMsIKzOE&feature=related

Nicole Trunfio
Vogue Australia
January 2007

diary.ru/~my-love-foto/p175454948.htm

Donna Karan S/S 12 Full Campaign:
SmileBlog via Flashbang
and wwd.com and donnakaran.com via tarsha

Campaign Credits via models.com:
Donna Karan S/S 12
Russell James - Photographer
Tina Chai - Fashion Editor/Stylist
Italo Gregorio - Hair Stylist
Fulvia Farolfi - Makeup Artist
Adriana Lima - Model

Donna Karan Spring 2012 Campaign

youtube / DonnaKaran

Donna Karan Spring 2012 Campaign Video featuring Adriana Lima shot on location in Jacmel, Haiti wearing the all-new Spring 2012 Collection. Discover more of the campaign and go behind-the-scenes at the shoot on DonnaKaran.com at the URL above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->