Russian Fashion Week

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 21st, 2003 - 3:29 am

I can see the Gn references. I just hope they'll be able to adjust into their own style once they get into it a bit more.
there are more possibilities of Andrew being 'inspired' by new russian designers than vice versa :lol: i find Krasnova's work quite original.

do we have any links from those designers websites scott?
i really want to contact them there is great potential,
thanks once more for bringing this in :heart:

i love NinaDonis' clothing. it's nice and so wearable. that's what i look for in clothing, that it's fashionable, different, and wearable. I can't say her work is so different, but most definitely attractive. I love it!

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 20th, 2003 - 11:58 am
Lena,same year Christian Wijnants won first prize,right? I can't remember the collection but I remember the name because I quite liked it. I'm happy it was brought to my attention once again because I have some feelings this is the one whose work will begin to really take off. Despite some references,I find it rather strong.

I think the main thing in comparison to Dries about Krasnova's work is her ability to reinterpret Ethnic forms etc. rather than borrowing. Dries,of course, does that better than anyone.

Russia is such a dark and sad country so its nice to see this kind of expression and strength coming from there. Kind of like Belgium in the way that it was mostly known for chocolates, diamonds and two artists, before fashion became a comodity of International culture. I see Russia as a country that might produce alot of interesting things in the future.

Glad you all enjoyed :wink:
go to moscow, the "best city in the world" and meet the news russians there and see the dozens of mercedes, restaurants, parties. it is nice over there. of course people , to say 'americanly', "get shot every day" but it is a good city right now, not like 12 years 10 years ago.
how is it dark and sad overrall?

I would have to disagree about Russia being sad and dark....
it has always produced "expression and strength". Even under the "communist" regime, the artists produced their approved work during the day and had the secret apartment exhibits at night....

These are not only my words but a friend who lives in Moscow. Not really sure what its like. I hear things regarding the economic situation the American establishment companies filtering their way into the country, but I don't know to be truthful,that's just what he says to me. It was really just a generalisation. But I do think that perhaps,communism still has tremendous effects on everybody which may have been what he meant.

I'd love to visit Russia,actually! Like you said,the strength is incredible so far from not only what I've seen here but other things like photography.

Well, you are right. The American companies (and others from Europe) are filtering into the country...but they're also the ones providing the people with jobs....the situation has it's ups and downs. The economy is incredibly unstable and I don't think we'll be seeing any stability for the next 10 years or so....
Unfortunately Russia is a country which always changed due to revolution and rarely evolution. Let's see if they learned from their mistakes.

i adore moscow, i visited some years ago -perestroika- and still culture was a common thing among the people, it was not 'dark' on the contrary, it was full of life, tradition in art and expression.
Down main Moscow pedestrian roads i could see painters classes above our 'western' modern masters, i just hope westernised Moscow still keeps the same feeling on art and expressionism

seems Moscow Fashion Week is making waves, much more since AsFour and much talked about Benoit Missolinwere were guests of Honor :wink:

here a fresh article by fwd :flower:

Russian Fashion Week Rocks With As Four and Polemics

By Massimo O'Neil
November 26, 2003 - Moscow
Over 20,000 people attended shows in Moscow this month, as Russian Fashion Week celebrated its fourth and most ambitious season ever.
The Chic Cyrillic season’s finale was a show by guest designers As Four, with the New York quartet presenting their most recent collection. Organizers also invited France’s Benoit Missolin, and America’s Rachel Comey to show in Moscow.

“Moscow has a lot of energy – we can feel that”, enthused As Four’s Gabi post show.

Designers from a slew of former Soviet republics – Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Baltic Republics, and Belarus staged a total of 50 Spring/Summer 2004 shows. The season was centered in T-Modul, a new exhibition space recently launched in central Moscow center, though some shows were staged older theaters.

“Russian Fashion Week is the largest fashion week in Eastern Europe”, said Alexander Shumsky, Russian Fashion Week’s general producer. “The next season, we are looking for participants from the former East European bloc to come”.

Some 300 journalists, most of them Russian, were accredited this season, which was enthusiastically covered by the local media, albeit with some reservations. Russian speakers noted the press here raised hell about the collection by Moscow Bohemian designer Masha Tsigal.

Tsigal, who gets her inspiration from the R’n’B aesthetics, invited Detsl, Russia’s most popular rap singer, as a guest model. Many popular Russian movie actors and TV hosts also models on runways in shows so packed, organizers broadcast them on large screens in the outside lobbies.

However, Tsigal decision to embroider marijuana leaves on several looks, led to several Moscow publications accused the designer of the illegal drug propaganda. :rolleyes:

Masha responded that she actually uses hemp materials in her new summer collection. “Hemp designs have been played with million times around the world, so I don’t understand why they criticize me now”, declared Tsigal, whose show drew the week’s biggest audience - over 700 viewers.

Designers like A&V (Lithuania), Vassa, Alyona Akhmadulina, Maka Assatiani (Georgia) and Alexander Gapchuk (Ukraine) underlined the geographic spread of the season, which boasted sponsors like Pantene Pro-V, Nokia, Davidof Café Grande Cuvee and Moet & Chandon.

i like the mask idea (very ancient Greek theater inspired) but the clothes i'm not sure, no be honest i find the skirt detail quite ridiculous :ninja:

thanks for posting these here nay-k
any pictures of Masha Tsigal? i'd love to see the scandal collection B)

Cool article,Lena! My friend got to hang out with NY designer Rachel Comey at Krasnova btw.

Not too keen on that skirt either. I did love Akhmadulina-its alot more street oriented than most there. They did t'shirts with images from the Kama Sutra and lots of quilting techniques. They also did some pieces with crocodile-style humps or horns(?) along the seams. Very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->