Sadie Sink

One of the best and most seamless moves from child/teen star to young adult on the red carpet that I've seen since Zendaya. I love the mermaid effect of her premiere dress, it's a bit frothy but just trendy enough to be perfect for her age (and I love that they reflected it in her long flowing hair).
brendan-fraser-whale-premiere-sadie-sink-hong-chau-venice-48.jpg

image source: www.justjared.com

Venice 79 side smaller.jpg image source: www.grazia.co.uk
Venice 79 back smaller.jpg image source: www.grazia.co.uk
Venice 79 top detail embroidery.jpg

image source: www.grazia.co.uk

Sadie arriving at the photocall for The Whale, 79th Venice International Film Festival

It's Alexander McQueen again just like the premiere, with a harness this time (she seems to like harness details, she's worn them previously too). A++ for effort, her styling team did an amazing job. Both the premiere gown and this dress are just dramatic and sophisticated enough to make the point that she's grown up, but also that she's 20, not 40.

image source: www.harpersbazaar.com

sadie-sink-is-seen-during-the-79th-venice-international-news-photo-1662301294.jpg

I just came to this thread to say how good she looked at the Whale premiere! Amazing ! Love her :smile:

One of the best and most seamless moves from child/teen star to young adult on the red carpet that I've seen since Zendaya. I love the mermaid effect of her premiere dress, it's a bit frothy but just trendy enough to be perfect for her age (and I love that they reflected it in her long flowing hair).
View attachment 1215254

image source: www.justjared.com

View attachment 1215255 image source: www.grazia.co.uk
View attachment 1215256 image source: www.grazia.co.uk
View attachment 1215257

image source: www.grazia.co.uk

Love this dress! Thank you for sharing. :flower:

a few things to update -Sadie in Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2022 (dress and shoes) at the 13th Annual Governors Awards in November 2022. Looks like she got different jewellery from the one in the lookbook though.

(image source: scmp.com, hawtcelebs.com - cringe, I know)
sadie-sink-at-ampas-13th-governors-awards-in-los-angeles-11-19-2022-7.jpg sadie-sink-at-ampas-13th-governors-awards-in-los-angeles-11-19-2022-2.jpg sadie-sink-attends-AMPAS-13th-governors-awards-in-los-angeles-19112.jpg

a November interview (love the photographs, especially the ones of her in the pink Chanel and the mesh Prada top - she's SO expressive and the pics really make the most of it:

Sadie Sink is Ready For Her Close-Up
After being thrust into stardom on sci-fi hit Stranger Things and now starring in critically acclaimed films like The Whale, Sadie Sink reflects on how far she’s come—and how far she still has to go

11.29.2022 by Sarah Cristobal

Dress ALEXANDER McQUEEN Choker MESSIKA PARIS Shoes MIU MIU

Photography by Lea Winkler

Styled by Molly Dickson

From her earnest start as a community theater actress in Texas to landing big roles on Broadway—she played Annie!—and beyond, it seems that Sadie Sink’s star was always destined to ascend. In 2017, at age 14, she joined the cast of Netflix’s supernatural hit Stranger Things as a skateboarding tomboy named Max. She was quickly embraced by Hollywood and fashion brands alike, and the stans came out in droves.

In December, there will be another performance to applaud as Sink, now 20, flexes her dramatic muscles in A24’s highly anticipated The Whale, directed by Darren Aronofsky and adapted from Samuel D. Hunter’s play of the same name. Sink plays Ellie, a troublesome teenager who is summoned to the cramped apartment of her obese and housebound father, Charlie, (Brendan Fraser) amid his declining health. (Spoiler alert: It turns out that battling emotional family issues is just as grueling as fighting Demogorgons in the Upside Down.)

Sink reflects on her supercharged entry into the pop culture ether, the advice she’s received from some of her famous pals—including Taylor Swift, who recently received a pair of Grammy nominations for her short film, All Too Well, starring Sink—and why she’ll never dye her famously fiery locks.

Dress, boots, and gloves BOTTEGA VENETA
L’OFFICIEL: You started working as an actor when you were very young. How did you know that acting was what you wanted to do?

SADIE SINK: My brother Mitchell and I did it at home for fun. We became obsessed with watching Tony Award performances on YouTube—or bootlegs of Broadway musicals that we desperately wanted to see.

L’O: Which ones?

SS: Wicked, Hairspray, and You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Matilda and Annie were favorites too, and those were the shows that we ended up doing. My mom was the one who said, “You guys should actually do a show.” So we did some community theater and kept wanting to do more. We would beg our mom, “Please find something else for us to audition for.” She would take us to different theaters near where we lived [in Brenham, Texas], and we’d audition for fun. The more shows we did, the other parents or directors would tell us where to go next. It was very much about going with the flow. That ultimately led us to take a trip to New York to audition for the big leagues.

L’O: That was when you were 10, right?

SS: Yes. For the first six months that my brother and I were working on Broadway, my mom was with us in New York. My dad and my other siblings were still back in Texas, thinking that we would come home once the run was over. But Mitchell and I kept booking more shows, or our contracts would be extended, so my parents decided to move the entire family. We settled in New Jersey.

L’O: What’s it like having two thespians in the family?

SS: Well, now we have three thespians in the family because—this just in!—my little sister, who’s 12, is now into musical theater. So it’s a loud, very musical house. But I think if it hadn’t been Mitchell and me together steering the ship, none of this would’ve ever happened. It was really the two of us booking shows at the same time, both having that same passion and drive, that really made my parents think, “Okay, yeah, this is the only option.”

Jacket, pants, and shoes CHANEL
L’O: Can you talk a little bit about your audition process for The Whale and how that all came to be?

SS: Darren reached out and asked if I could participate in a reading of what was being referred to as the “Untitled Darren Aronofsky Project.” It was right before COVID hit. I showed up at a random theater, got sat next to Brendan [Fraser], and then we read [the script for] The Whale. From reading my character, Ellie, and being with Brendan, I knew that there was something in the air. It was not clear whether or not the project would even happen, but for everyone in that room, I think we all knew that we could do something really special.

L’O: And then the audition took place later?

SS: Yes, the audition was the first scene and then the final scene. And it was over Zoom, which was hard to do. I remember finishing that audition and being like, “Oh my God, Sadie, what was that? That was not good.” There’s only so much you can give when you’re talking to a screen, but I guess it worked well enough.

L’O: What was it like working with a director like Darren?

SS: I think it helped me to grow up as an actor and to shed some child actor habits that I had developed and needed to shake in terms of feeling confident in front of the camera. Even though I’ve been doing this for years, it’s still hard to get to the point where you’re able to fully open up and be vulnerable. Working on The Whale and with Darren and especially Brendan was the perfect setting for me to fully tap into myself as an actress in ways that I don’t think I had before.

"Even though I’ve been doing this for years, it’s still hard to get to the point where you’re able to fully open up and be vulnerable."

L’O: How did you get to that place?

SS: I was pretty surprised by how naturally those moments happened. Especially for the last scene; Ellie becomes this well of emotion, and it felt totally real. We’d been working on the film for maybe five weeks at that point. I think by working on this character, working with Darren, and being in that apartment, by the final scene Ellie becomes this well of emotion, and it felt totally real. We were all a little bit nervous about that scene and it really spilled out of everyone because it felt like we owed it to the characters. It took about three days to shoot so it was very draining. It felt like we were wringing everything out.

L’O: It’s like Pilates for your emotions.

SS: It really is. In any scene where you’re screaming or releasing large emotions, you do feel lighter by the end of it. It is weirdly therapeutic. Reality TV always helps to balance things out, too. My current obsession is Love Is Blind.

L’O: What about music? What’s your jam?

SS: Currently it’s the new 1975 album [Being Funny in a Foreign Language]. I’ve been overdoing it on that one, but it really is that good. Midnights [by Taylor Swift] has been good, too.

L’O: I love how casually you dropped that because we all know that you and Taylor are friends—and I assume you’re a fan too.

SS: Oh yeah. I was very excited about the new album and it lived up to all of my expectations. Reputation [released in 2017] is one of my favorite albums, so I was very excited to have another pop album. Every time she drops something, the world just stops.

Dress and shoes MIU MIU
L’O: What’s that friendship like for you? She’s good about getting her girls together.

SS: Oh, totally. Taylor has been in this industry for so long—and granted it’s a slightly different industry than the one that I’m in—but still, she’s got a lot of good advice, especially for someone like me who’s younger and easily overwhelmed. It’s nice to have her in my corner. When your work life is moving at 100 miles per hour or you feel like your work is the only life that you have, it gets tough to balance everything. It can get really tricky. The advice that she’s given me has been about personal friendships that I needed help navigating, and situations that she could relate to.

L’O: You’re quite young and have done so much already. How are you reconciling the fame aspect of your job?

SS: What I’ve realized recently is, you really only have yourself, because when you’re in this position and traveling for work, everything in your life is so inconsistent and unstable. You could go a little bit insane with everything changing around you all the time. But if you know who you are and you have a good head on your shoulders, you can remain as centered as possible. I was 14 when this all started. It’s weird that things that were once so crazy to wrap my brain around are now everyday encounters in terms of getting recognized and stuff like that.

L’O: At this point can you be out in the world and still have your anonymity, or are you more guarded?

SS: It depends on where I am. Recently I’ve been in Berlin a lot [shooting Berlin Nobody, opposite Eric Bana] and it’s nice because I can pretty much be anonymous here. In the States, it’s a little bit hectic in some areas, but I think it’s important not to let it stop me from leaving the house. I definitely have to get creative.

L’O: How so? Do you have a doppelgänger that you send out?

SS: If I’m running an errand, and the timing is tight, and I have to go somewhere but not get recognized, then there’s a hat, mask, and sunglasses maneuver that I can do to get in and get out. But what I’ve found is that the hair really gives it away.

"It has taken me a while to get used to red carpets and big events in general...I don’t think they’ll ever feel normal."

L’O: The hair is so incredible though. It’s so goddessy. Have you ever dyed it or changed it drastically?

SS: No, I’ve never touched it. My secret is that I don’t put heat on it and I don’t color it. I don’t know if I’d ever dye it; that scares me. So I’m not going to do that at the moment. If a role required a hair color change, I’d opt for a wig.

L’O: There’s lots of preemptive awards buzz for The Whale. Does that stuff affect you?

SS: I didn’t ever think that [awards shows] were an option for me. Especially with Stranger Things and the buzz that came with that; that was something that was totally unexpected. So it’s definitely exciting and a nice compliment, but it’s never been a driving force for me in any way. It’s a new side to all of this that I know absolutely nothing about. I remember going to the Emmys for season two of Stranger Things, and it was so surreal to be at a ceremony that I would watch on TV growing up. I was like, “Oh, this isn’t as glamorous as they make it look.”

L’O: Right. It’s a little bit like a wedding reception.

SS: Yeah, a very large wedding reception, and it was very, very long. It has taken me a while to get used to red carpets and big events in general. They still feel weird. I don’t think they’ll ever feel normal.

L’O: You always look great on a red carpet, though. You’re like fashion industry catnip.

SS: I’ve been with my stylist, Molly Dickson, since I was 15, when the press for Stranger Things started. At that age, you’re not making any incredible fashion choices, or at least I wasn’t. I needed someone like Molly who would teach me everything. So through her, I learned about all the different designers. And then as I grew up, I started working with different brands. It really is fun to develop relationships with these different houses. You meet amazing people and get to have incredible travel experiences.

Dress and slip PRADA
L’O: Did you enjoy walking in two runway shows in Paris? Undercover [Fall/Winter 2018] and Miu Miu [Cruise 2019], two biggies.

SS: Those kinds of things don’t just happen, so, yeah, they were definitely cool experiences.

L’O: Did you get to hang out with Miuccia Prada at all?

SS: I’ve met her a few times throughout the years. She’s a legend. She’s funny.

L’O: You’re also part of the Chanel pack. Do you like attending big fashion events?

SS: I do. Especially with Chanel. They styled me for my first premiere for Stranger Things. My first red carpet ever! They have essentially been watching me grow up, so that’s a really special relationship. And obviously, it’s Chanel, so I love them.

L’O: The Venice Film Festival [where The Whale premiered and received a six-minute standing ovation] must have been incredible.

SS: It was. I’ve never experienced anything like that. To be there with a group of people that you love and trust to show a film that you are so proud of and really believe in, was perfect. And I really liked the [Alexander McQueen] dress that I wore. Molly and I didn’t know if the dress was going to be available on time. We did the fitting for it the day before the red carpet.

"I’ve never intentionally manifested anything in my life, but when I reflect on how things have shaped up, there is something weirdly cosmic about it."

L’O: Do you have a lot of designer labels in your closet now through all of these relationships?

SS: I guess I do. I have a lot of crazy bags that I wouldn’t necessarily wear unless I’m feeling really fun. But yeah, I’ve accumulated quite the wardrobe. Now it’s a matter of whether or not I put in the effort to wear the pieces in the ways that I probably should. At the moment I’m preserving them for safekeeping.

L’O: What kind of bags?

SS: There’s this big, plush, hot-pink Chanel bag. I don’t know how to wear it in a casual way that’s not drawing attention to myself, but in the back of my mind I always think, “Okay, to which event could I ever wear this?”

L’O: When you want to go out with your friends, what do you do, where do you go?

SS: I have the best time in someone’s home, especially if it’s a crowded or busy night and there are going to be a lot of people out. I’m down for a nice dinner every once in a while.

L’O: Next year you turn 21. Does that feel significant to you at all?

SS: Twenty-one is a huge deal. Until you’re 25 and you can rent a car. I have a few friends who have been like, “Well, what are you going to do? Are you going to have a big trip or a party?” I’m like, “Oh no. If you’re asking me that now, then I have to start planning. So, no, I will not be doing anything special.” It’s funny because some of the older Stranger Things cast and crew, especially Matt and Ross [the Duffer Brothers, the creators of the show], cannot wrap their heads around the fact that some of the kids on the show are going to turn 21 while we’re filming season five. It’s nuts to think about.

Coat and necklace VALENTINO Ring MESSIKA PARIS
L’O: Are you and your Stranger Things cast mates on a group text?

SS: There are a few, because we’re all grouped differently each year. But yeah, there’s definitely a Hawkins Gang group chat for season four.

L’O: Who is always lighting up the thread?

SS: Caleb [McLaughlin]. He’s the best about checking up on everyone. He’s a real connector.

L’O: You have a lot of support from the people that you’ve worked with who have been around a lot longer. Winona [Ryder] said you’re the next Meryl [Streep]. Do you talk to people like her about longevity in this industry?

SS: The best advice I’ve gotten has to do with working with the right people. A role can feel right, but it really means nothing if the wrong people are attached to it. So it’s about choosing to work with the right filmmakers.

L’O: Where do you want to take your career?

SS: I’m happy where I am. I’m working consistently on projects that I actually want to work on rather than just for the sake of working. After working with Darren, I want to make sure to continue to work with directors who could help me grow as an actor. I’m still very young and I’ve got a lot to learn.

L’O: Do you ever feel like you manifested these opportunities?

SS: I’ve never intentionally manifested anything in my life, but when I reflect on how things have shaped up, there is something weirdly cosmic about it. There are times when it doesn’t feel like that—like if I don’t get the role that I thought was going to change my life—but then something else comes along next that will change things for the better. Looking back, I think I must have some kind of manifestation power somewhere.

HAIR Tommy Buckett
MAKEUP Tyron Machhausen using Chanel Beauty
SET DESIGN Emma Magidson and Henrique Cirilo
PRODUCTION Bifen Xu and Bowen Fernie
PHOTO ASSISTANTS Chad Hilliard and Dylan Garcia
STYLIST ASSISTANT Kate March and Sami Maccabe
TAILOR Kaitlyn De La Cruz

Sadie in Chanel Haute Couture A/W 2022 at the Critics Choice Awards

image source: harpersbazaar.com (red carpet) and twitter.com/filmupdates (the other pics)

SS- CC2023.jpg FmjVNq1X0AAZrIE.jpg FmjVNq7XoAEPjzX.jpg

The more I look at this girl, the more I think some of her costars' styling teams need to take notes on how to manage the transition from child actress to young adult on the red carpet.

Anyway, here's another set of pics of her Critics Choice look with a behind the scenes look.

Source: elle.com

g1650227-rt2-1673840713.jpg g1650237-rt-1673840712.jpg l1440745-rt-1673840713.jpg l1440774-rt-1673840712.jpg l1440881-rt-1673840712.jpg

How Sadie Sink Got Ready for Her First-Ever Critics Choice Awards
46684ab1-654b-4def-b005-e6359f3c1c1f_1667923146.file
By Claire SternPublished: Jan 16, 2023
l1440774-rt-1673840528.jpg

Greg Williams
As the saying goes, there’s a first time for everything—including major awards shows. On Sunday night, actress and newly-minted Chanel ambassador Sadie Sink made a splash in a look from the French house’s fall 2022 haute couture collection while attending her first-ever Critics Choice Awards, where the 20-year-old was nominated for Best Young Actress for her performance in Darren Aronofsky’s psychological drama The Whale.

“I’ve never been [to the Critics Choice Awards], so it’ll be a new experience,” Sink exclusively tells ELLE.com. “I always look forward to seeing my cast and crew members. Awards shows can feel a little bizarre, so it’s nice to have familiar faces close by.”

A great outfit probably doesn’t hurt either. Sink chose a black silk radzimir dress with a gold, silver, red, and black embroidered bustier, paired with Jimmy Choo shoes, Chanel fine jewelry, and a Chanel bag. “I think it’s a nice balance between modern and timeless,” she says of the look. “I also love having a full skirt, which is something I don’t normally wear. I actually tried this dress on during the summer, and have been wanting to wear it ever since. I feel like myself in it, which is the most important quality in everything I wear.”

Sink’s relationship with Chanel goes back several years—she first wore the brand to the Stranger Things premiere back in 2017. “Chanel has been there for me since the beginning, which is a surreal thing to say,” Sink says. “That team has watched me grow up, so it’s a pretty special relationship to have with a fashion house. As I’ve matured, so has my sense of style. I feel Chanel has played a big role in that evolution in terms of influencing my personal taste.”

As far as the getting-ready process goes, Sink doesn’t have a specific formula—at least not yet. “I don’t come to L.A. a lot, so I like catching up with my hair and makeup team [makeup artist Nina Park, hairstylist Ryan Richman, and nail artist Ashlie Johnson] while I’m getting ready. I rarely play music because I can’t handle the pressure of being a DJ.”

Click through below to see Sink get ready for the 2023 Critics Choice Awards, sans playlist.

g1650227-rt2-1673840713.jpg

46684ab1-654b-4def-b005-e6359f3c1c1f_1667923146.file

Claire Stern

She has way more IT than anyone else on that show. I hope her agent gets her a good movie or show to get to the next place in her career.

She needs to find dresses that are good for her height, but generally speaking, I really like her look! Haven't seen her films yet, but I'm interested.

She has way more IT than anyone else on that show. I hope her agent gets her a good movie or show to get to the next place in her career.

The power of a good stylist... her team has a huge lot to do with her becoming this Fashion It Girl in the first place (it helps that she seems to have good instincts too and isn't swayed by instagram/tiktok trends, or at least carries them off in a way that isn't obnoxious e.g. all the cutout dresses she's been wearing this press tour).

Also I get that young people like to experiment (hell we all did) and trends are different now but it's hard not to have a moment of head-shaking regret when you see a younger costar of hers who is arguably a better actress with a much wider range but whose styling team consistently sh*ts the bed on the hair and makeup front and make a teenager with a natural resemblance to Winona Ryder look like some 45 year old Real Housewife with cheap looking blonde extensions and ig 2016-style makeup that work against her features. Sadie's hair and makeup, in contrast, has been flawless through all her appearances - enough to read sophisticated, but not to the level that it ages her. The red hair especially, it's becoming a signature, which is a good move.

Sadie Sink The Late Night with Seth Meyers January 18, 2023 in McQueen

627683.jpg

Sadie Sink Chanel Couture Show January 24, 2023

629028.jpg

starstyle.com

I have to give it to Sadie, she looks good and not-stodgy even in Virginie's Chanel, not a small feat! Molly Dickson chooses really well for her.

another still from the Alexander McQueen website:
image99.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->