Saks new shoe department

iLoveCouture

catch me if you can
Reaction score
NY to get shoe store so big it has own ZIP code

Story from rueters.com
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York's famed Saks Fifth Avenue department store plans to open a shoe department so big it has been granted its own ZIP code, 10022-SHOE, the company said on Thursday.
Saks said it plans to nearly double the number of shoes for sale and take over the entire eighth floor of its flagship store in Manhattan. The expanded department will open in September under the name 10022-SHOE.
"10022-SHOE will also hold a place in U.S. history as the first floor to be granted its own designated ZIP code by the United States Post Office," Saks said in a statement.
The news may delight women with shoe obsessions to rival that of former Philippines first lady Imelda Marcos.

"Visitors to the new eighth floor will be greeted by a seemingly endless array of shoes," the statement said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would a single floor need its own zipcode? That makes no sense to me!

^ It's working as we speak. :cool:

The title reminds me of that Yo Mama joke: "Yo mama's so fat she's got her own area code!" :lol:

Saks? God, thier shoe department is by far one of the worst in the city...They just carry everything, it's not well edited at all...Now they're just gonna carry EVERYTHING literally...

Of course, thier buyers arent talented enough to find small up and coming designers...

I would love if they carried everything so one could see the largest possible choice - I don't need anybody to edit for me. Their selection of Louboutin for example was rather boring.... So I am excited to see the new shoe department!

I don't really understand the zip code-thing either.. It's just a floor? It's not like they're going to open "shoe city". And isn't zip codes only needed when you're sending a letter to someone? who is going to send a letter to a floor in a department store? makes no sense

:unsure:

^ It's because so many shoes will be delivered to them. That's why they'd get their own zipcode, in theory. I kind of doubt the shipments will be THAT big that they deserve their own zipcode though. :innocent:

Saks? God, thier shoe department is by far one of the worst in the city...They just carry everything, it's not well edited at all...Now they're just gonna carry EVERYTHING literally...

Of course, thier buyers arent talented enough to find small up and coming designers...

diorling,
ditto!
saks is bad and the shoes are even worse. so a big change is needed and if it need a big mareting coup like their own zipcode, so be it. its nothing special really or difficult to obtain i believe :smile:

"Visitors to the new eighth floor will be greeted by a seemingly endless array of shoes," the statement said.

That good be a positive or negative thing. :unsure:

Sniped!!!

But here's another article on it:

NY Shoe Store Gets Its Own ZIP Code
AP - Sat, 26 May 2007 14:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

Saks Fifth Avenue says its new shoe department is so big that it's getting its own ZIP code.

The Manhattan store is revamping its shoe department, and when it moves from the fourth floor to an 8,500-square-foot space on the eighth floor in August, customers will be able to send mail to 10022-SHOE.

"We believe it's such a big move for us it deserves its own ZIP code," Saks spokeswoman Lesley Langsam Kennedy said Thursday. "We wanted to make it a destination."

The retailer worked with the U.S. Postal Service on the new ZIP code -- but only the last four characters, which aren't necessary when mailing something, are specialized. The rest of the neighborhood shares 10022.

Saks operates 54 stores in 25 states and two stores in the Middle East.

So it's all hype:
"but only the last four characters, which aren't necessary when mailing something, are specialized. The rest of the neighborhood shares 10022."

Yea, I noticed it's the sub zipcode, which I didnt even know existed until a few days ago...I dont even know my sub zipcode...

Anyway, appearantly it wont take up the whole 8th floor, that floor will also have housewares, but the majority will be shoes...Ive never been to the 8th floor...and did you know Saks had kids clothes!?! Wow, Im so surprised.

Thats just stupid, but i guess nobody does excess like Americans

Americans don't have 'Royal' families half a world away.

^^^
bahahaha!

this is totally a gimmick. the saks shoe department is pretty much what's expected for chain department store...i'm doubt their demographic goes there on the hunt for the next-big-thing.

from the New York Times.

The new shoe department at Saks opened this morning, and, much as we'd love to gush about it, we can't. Don't get us wrong: It's nice. It's very nice, and it's a major upgrade from the well-to-do-suburban-mom-attempting-to-be-fashionable selection the store formerly offered. But we're shoe addicts, and we were expecting more. The floor was buzzing with camera crews, waiters were serving breakfast munchies, and salespeople were announcing every two seconds how proud they were of the new space. They had the patent-leather Miu Miu spectators for sale, and the two-tone Pradas with the curved heel. They even had our knee-high Chloé boots, with the gold zipper going up the calf. But what they also had was way too many logos for our taste: Gucci, Chanel, and Dior; sneakers, loafers, and ballet flats. That's great for tourists and label lovers, but we were looking for, say, teal Louboutin studded boots and flats. And what was Stuart Weitzman doing among his high-end counterparts? Sure, the upgrade in the quality of designers offered is great — two big thumbs up for Alaïa and Atwood — and the express elevator to the eighth floor is a big plus. Kudos to Saks for recognizing the department needed an overhaul; we just would like to have seen tighter edits in the selection. —Aja Mangum
why bother with an express elevator to a whole floor of shoes without re-inventing your business model? imagine if they divided it up into groups of designers that included the popular to the more eclectic.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg, so gimmicky. they applied and got a new zip code just for that shoe department. debra messing cut the ribbon and she looked so tired and unfashionable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->