Saks new shoe department

Sounds like whoever wrote the NYT article is one of those people who can never be pleased, no matter how good the situation.

Saks 5th Ave flagship store is never known for having a cleverly-EDITTED selection (unlike Barneys or Bergdorfs); it's pretty much a zoo of shoes from all over the place.

Oh, you are so spoiled you NYC citizens! Send the Saks shoe department to Denmark, and I would be GRATEFUL! You should see our department stores :cry:

Oh, you are so spoiled you NYC citizens!

"Spoiled" isn't the word I would use.

But that's for a different thread :P :rolleyes:

Well, express it as you like. It is a fact the NYC citizens have much more choice than we have, no matter if you buy cheap shoes or designer :wink: and Saks' new shoe department would be considered paradise if it was placed in Copenhagen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saks 5th Ave flagship store is never known for having a cleverly-EDITTED selection (unlike Barneys or Bergdorfs); it's pretty much a zoo of shoes from all over the place.

Well...when you take up 10 floors and over half a city block...you got to fill it with something right?

I was there the opening morning so it was a mad house; but, I'd like to go back again and see it more calm.

They have Alaia to Zanotti.

This whole new department sounds like quite a mess. Frankly, I understand that there is a strong market for mid-level designers like Stuart Weitzman, etc., but by putting it on the same floor as Alaia and Louboutin, you are hurting the salability of all parties. Really what they should have done was left the regular shoe department alone, with its logos and its semi-designer brands, and then launched a premium shoe salon. This isn't the late 90's, people who buy certain designers want to buy them from a place that reflects the mood of the designer. Women who buy Balenciaga platforms don't want to do so next to tourists buying Coach logo loafers. If I have a chance, I'd like to check it out regardless and see how its working...

^ You know, I really don't care ... I'm just thrilled that a) the shoe I want was produced and b) someone bought it. To me, that's what this department is all about--a selection so all-encompassing that if the shoe exists, they have it. If you don't know what you want when you leave the house, I'd absolutely go somewhere with a well-edited selection.

This isn't the late 90's, people who buy certain designers want to buy them from a place that reflects the mood of the designer. Women who buy Balenciaga platforms don't want to do so next to tourists buying Coach logo loafers.

Although you may not be, your post made you sound like a royal snob. Is it really important who you're standing next to when purchasing a pair of shoes? Is that what women are like nowadays?

i went to see Saks on saturday and was totally underwhelmed. i mean... Macy's shoe dept. is way bigger!

But since I am on a big shoe-shopping mission I had to go back today. Maybe it's me, maybe it's this season's styles (I don't want to wear patent leather or blatant logos anymore) but I tried my hardest to buy lots but ended up with just 1 pair. isn't that how it goes?

anyway, I was happier with barney's and bergdorf's shoe collection (which i visited yesterday) so I guess nothing has really changed in the nyc world of shoes.

I thought it was funny they had deborah messing of all people there, since when has she been fashionable? They could have atleast gotten sarah jessica parker to show up.....I like saks..but I have a feeling when Barneys opens in september here in SF they will get my business, although I dont like the setup of Barneys...its too prissy..well, the one in Dallas was.

^ I quite like Barneys in Dallas ... plenty of open space, no crowds, the layout makes sense. They keep the same designers in the same places generally, or you can just glance around and see where they've moved ... It's an attractive space. The selection is really nice ... there's still room for improvement, but they compare so favorably to the market that I would hate to carp :P

I will definately check out Saks when a friend and I go to the land of shopping this fall.

oh and i wanted to add that even though i wasn't impressed with Saks i still NEEDED a pair of black and pumps - and the most comfortable by far were the round-toe gucci's... with a big ol' GG logo on them (just like the article said) so last night i took a Sharpie marker to the contrast stitching so the logo wouldn't stand out as much! there were logos everywhere in that store!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->