Sally Mann - Photographer

What Remains (The Life & Work of Sally Mann) is a must see! If you haven't seen it already, please do. It's really inspiring and personal and intimate. I saw it for the first time recently and it was such a pleasure to see how humble she talks about her life and work.

Here's a preview:

^exactly :D & thanks for sharing, i've never seen that shot before. Have you (or anyone here) seen her At Twelve: Portraits of Young Women series? It's one of her most earliest works; she was working on it while she was doing Immediate Family but I think it was released before Immediate Family. I dont think it received as much acclaim, but it's one of her most though provoking series IMO about the unsettling transition into womenhood/adulthood and how early it begins.

You're welcome! :flower: Yes, I have all her books, save for her first ("Second Sight"), which is unfortunately rather expensive to get now. I think the concept for "At Twelve" was a refreshing and complex one, and no doubt done well, however, I'll admit, I do prefer some of her later works to "At Twelve", I think "Immediate Family" and "Deep South" are my favorites, and in my opinion, her best, but of course it's all somewhat just personal taste I think! ^_^

What Remains (The Life & Work of Sally Mann) is a must see! If you haven't seen it already, please do. It's really inspiring and personal and intimate. I saw it for the first time recently and it was such a pleasure to see how humble she talks about her life and work.

Yes, yes, I second that! It's my favorite documentary, and one of my favorite films, period. Also, for anyone unaware, also included on the "What Remains" DVD is the first (shorter) documentary piece (by the same director) that was shot while Sally was working on "Immediate Family" and it's a great watch as well. I think even if you're not a huge Sally Mann fan, if you enjoy insights into an artists' mind and process, I'd still highly recommend this film.

And I was just saying in an interview a bit ago (when asked "who is your favorite photographer?") how I not only like her work, but I admire her and find her intriguing and well-spoken as a person, as well, which I might add is what makes her an especially interesting documentary subject, for me at least.

Okay, I'm just rambling now. :innocent: Sorry, all done. :blush:

I would love to see the photograph of Emmett in the bed on the previous page in HQ..it's soooo beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere on the web...:(

I would love to see the photograph of Emmett in the bed on the previous page in HQ..it's soooo beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere on the web...:(

This one? If you want I can scan it out of the book for you? :flower: I have a new scanner that does pretty good HQ scans. That one is one of my favorites! ^_^ Of course, my "favorites" list must have at least fifty or something of her photos. :lol:

Oh no, wait. I'm sorry, I thought it was in Immediate Family and went to find it and then realized it wasn't, and then thought it was in Still Time, but no, not there either, so I can't scan it after all. :( Really thought I'd see it in print before, not just online, but guess not. :doh: I'll let you know if I run into a HQ/larger copy of it online though. :wink:

This is actually smaller, but the colors haven't been darkened up, so you can see the setting a lot better:

Attachments

• Sheet Changing Day.jpg
    Sheet Changing Day.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a credit (your source) for that image, please? If not, we will have to remove it.

thanks S-C. it's sooo beautiful. I wish I could see it big. I would love to have an original Saly Mann print! :woot:

A couple of color prints, I'd never seen before. :heart: :flower:

longbraid1992.jpg

whitejessie1990.jpg

Source: artnet.com

Her work changes so much in color. I much prefer B&W, not that I dislike her work in color..but there's certainly something very bewitching about the content & tonality in her black and white prints.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past saturday she had a talk in Richmond, VA at the Virginia Museum of fine arts! The tickets were only $15!!!! I wish I could have gone but it was sold out by the time I found out.

The exhibition, The Flesh & The Spirit, will be up until the end of January.

More info:

Mann’s most recent work represents an intriguing new direction. She is tackling expansive themes of mortality and vulnerability, while for the first time using herself and her husband as subjects. In addition, she has taken her bold experiments with the medium to new heights, pushing photography to its limits by making painterly and nearly abstract images—many as unique pieces on glass plates. Altogether the exhibition and accompanying catalogue will present an unexpected picture of Mann’s work, encouraging a fresh perspective on one of today’s preeminent photographers and, it is hoped, an opportunity to extend her visibility well beyond the realm of photography. A catalogue will accompany the exhibition.

Organized by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and curated by John B. Ravenal, Sydney and Frances Lewis Family Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art.
VMFA is pleased to acknowledge contributions from Gagosian Gallery, Mary and Don Shockey, and Alan I. Kirshner.

http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Exhibitions/Sally-Mann-The-Flesh-and-The-Spirit/

You should definitely go see it if you are on the east coast and can make it! There's a lot of unpublished/new work...I wanna go see it so bad. I'd love to see an original Sally Mann print in person...her printing is immaculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->