Sasha Lane

Yohji

Reaction score
Breakout star of Andrea Arnold's Cannes hit, American Honey.

Closing Ceremony - Red Carpet Arrivals - The 69th Annual Cannes Film Festival
22 May 2016 - Palais des Festivals - Cannes France
In Louis Vuitton

lTlOf8S.jpg

Hy5oTh0.jpg

"Personal Shopper" - Red Carpet Arrivals - The 69th Annual Cannes Film Festival
17 May 2016 - Palais des Festivals - Cannes France

9Ih5oKN.jpg

"American Honey" - Red Carpet Arrivals - The 69th Annual Cannes Film Festival
15 May 2016 - Palais des Festivals - Cannes France
In Ungaro

vonkZzf.jpg

Pwzd2h5.jpg

"American Honey" Photocall - The 69th Annual Cannes Film Festival
15 May 2016 - Palais des Festivals - Cannes France

pOQv4yw.jpg

yzlRSjU.jpg

zimbio.com

US Elle October 2016

National Treasure

Model: Sasha Lane
Photographer: Jean-Francois Campos
Stylist: Maryam Malakpour

US Elle October 2016 Digital Edition

Dazed 25th Anniversary Issue

twitter/dazed

Sasha

Photographed by Sean+Seng
Styled by Elizabeth Fraser-Bell

Dazed 25th Anniversary Issue Digital Edition via Fashion Mayhem

US GQ October 2016

US GQ October 2016 Digital Edition

Sasha Lane: Star Rising

Photography Victoria Stevens

COLLEEN KELSEY: You met Andrea in a really unexpected way. Growing up, did you ever think of acting?

SASHA LANE: I always thought it'd be cool to portray these certain things, make people feel a certain way. I was kind of fascinated with that, but I wasn't the type to do acting school or theater. I didn't have the best views of Hollywood, so it wasn't something that I was going to try and pursue. But I always said, if someone randomly found me, I would do it.

KELSEY: What were you more interested in?

LANE: I was into psychology and social work and doing something around people.

KELSEY: That's another way to think about acting.

LANE: Yeah, it totally helps with it. I was on spring break in Florida. I just needed to get away for a bit, so I think she found me at a time where it made that connection even stronger. We connected so well. I kind of needed that, which she gave me as far as confidence in who I was, and a chance at something different. That moment was really special. It was kind of a blur. [laughs]

KELSEY: What did you think about the proposition of doing a movie after that random meeting?

LANE: I had nothing left to lose, so it was just kind of like, "Why not?" [laughs] It seemed like it would be something special. It didn't feel cheesy and it didn't feel like something I wouldn't want to be a part of. The woman is a strong character. It's shining a light on these types of people and this type of the world. And she had a really good energy, so I figured she'd do a good job. I met her, I went back to college, finished up the rest of the year early, came out, shot and then had to wait a year, and then Cannes and it's been going since then.

KELSEY: Did you see any of her other movies after you met?

LANE: I watched Fish Tank. I digged it, so I was like, "Cool, I like her aesthetic and music and all that." It was nice.

KELSEY: I interviewed McCaul Lombardi for another story and he was telling me how there wasn't really a script. You guys worked day to day. What was that experience like, going on the road and having this intense bonding experience with everyone, and making a movie?

LANE: It was the best experience ever, but also just really emotionally exhausting. It was cool because it was very freeing. You were just in a moment. You didn't have any other choice but to be in the moment, because you didn't know what tomorrow was going to be like and with all the other different personalities, you could get anything at anytime. It was just this free, crazy living but with a family. That's the America I know. That's how I grew up. I mean, I wasn't in a mag crew, but we do road trips, we hang out in parking lots, and we do all that type of stuff, you know? That's very much what I'm used to, so that kind of also helped playing it.

KELSEY: Was it intimidating to take on this huge role?

LANE: It was a lot of pressure. [laughs] Seeing Fish Tank, I knew they followed her a lot, and they were like, "This is what it's going to be like." Then to just know that. I started seeing that I had days where I was just working alone or, with a select few, and I started realizing, "Wow, okay, you need all of this." It was kind of scary to think that how I'm doing in this film has a lot to do with how it's going to go. That was a little scary, but they gave me a lot of support in my confidence, so I was just kind of like, "Okay, **** it." [laughs]

KELSEY: Is it a question of technique, or do you just sort of absorb who this person is and try to represent it?

LANE: Everyone has their own way. I can only do something I feel like I'm either passionate about, or that I can connect to, because all I know is real. I like the natural way and I feed off of people's energy, so once you're working with someone, you just bounce off of that. The director and the DP, I like to form a relationship with them, because it's like making music—flowing together and figuring it out as you go.

KELSEY: What was your experience like going to Cannes for the film?

LANE: Nothing will top that. It was so intense and so emotional and so unreal. To walk away and be proud of something that you created, and something that is going to be out there, I think that's amazing. That was the first time we were all back together again. That was the first time I saw the movie. My brother was there. My friends were there. The whole festival, they have like a lot of respect for the filmmakers, the directors, all of them, and they're all there for that reason: to experience these movies. It was very beautiful, and lively, and there was a lot of love, and plus, with American Honey, we make everything fun. So we ditched all of the high-end stuff and just had a great time. [laughs]

KELSEY: What are you hoping to do next? What are your goals?

LANE: I've been reading books and looking at articles, trying to find things that I enjoy in the midst of my auditions and everything. I'm going with the flow of it. I don't really know what I want exactly, but I know as far as the energy I'm trying to put out into the world in hopes to get it back and get those things that I want to be a part of, without me being like, "This is a plan. This is a goal." So, we'll see.

KELSEY: The way that you're talking about the projects that you want to do is coming from a more artistic place. Navigating the industry is huge; is that a big adjustment?

LANE: It's a huge adjustment. I mean, I'm a really anxious person and a really uncomfortable person and a people-pleaser. Putting all those together with this type of industry, it's pretty much everything that makes me uncomfortable and that I dislike. People literally have told me like, "Sasha, you're doing everything that you hate." But to make a film like that and those connections you make and then to meet people who felt inspired or connected to you through film, and you could put your energy across, you're like, "Wow, this is worth it." That's the beautiful part, so I want to do more stuff to where I feel good about it, or else I would not be in this. There'd be no point, you know?

American Honey, within itself and who Andrea is, and who was all involved, nothing is ever going to be like that. But the short I did [Born in the Maelstrom] was a little more like how it will be usually, but it was the stuff I wanted to do. I was really passionate about it and it made me feel more confident in the fact that I can do something outside of something like American Honey.

Interview

Meet Sasha Lane, the Free Spirited Star of "American Honey"

wmagazine

wmagazine

Teen Vogue October/November 2016 by Daniel Jackson

Teen Vogue October/November 2016 Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Sasha Lane attends the Louis Vuitton show as part of the Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Spring/Summer 2017 on October 5, 2016 in Paris, France.

zimbio

Sasha Lane is on the cusp of adulthood and fame

i-d.vice

What did you do for your birthday?

I did everything. Oh my god, 21 is exhausting. It was a small group of people, which I'm good with. We just bounced around [in L.A. — where Sasha now lives], drank CBD alcohol drinks [a weed cocktail], which is dope. It's like what weed would do but without getting paranoid. It's really chill.

How are you in a party situation?

I'm not like a big party rager, big group [kind of person]. I'm like let's chill, feel our minds. I like to chill and I like to connect.

Were you all quite pumped up for the party scenes in the film?

Yeah, yeah. I feel like once I'm in something, I'm in it. I loved everyone so we would still all hang out. I feel like when I get with American Honey [cast], I'm more like 'YEAH.' It was different than who I usually am but I liked that; it was cool.

What's been the biggest challenge you've had since you've been in the spotlight?

I'm a naturally uncomfortable and anxious person, so I prefer intimate things. The red carpet and big parties make me freak out a little.

Your hair has become a talking point. Why so?

Because they're dreads, they're associated with being dirty and all that doesn't mean anything. I feel very strong and very beautiful in them. It's part of a culture. It's much more than hair. It represents a lot of things.

What does your hair represent to you?

For me, it's very free. I never felt more beautiful than when I got dreads. People said: "You can't hold yourself in a room full of professional people because of that." Don't put me in that group just because you think this is dirty. I feel amazing.

How did you feel when you were accused of cultural appropriation for having dreads?

People see that I have lighter skin so they said: "You're not black, you're this white girl with dreads." I'm not black? What do they mean? My dad is black. I'm mixed and I'm not embarrassed by that. I've dealt with a lot of people saying, "you're not black enough for this, you're not white enough for this." It's this weird middle man thing; I very much embrace both sides. It's just stupid ignorance and another way for people to dig at you. White girl with dreads? Like you really just saw a skin tone and assumed I was this? Ridiculous.

You strongly identify with the kids in the film. Is that because of how they're perceived or where they're from?

It's lack of opportunity. You can't really dream that high. You've not given that type of freedom. Star is naïve is the way that I'm naïve. It's not just like fantasy land, everything's beautiful. It's more like despite the **** that I've been given, my environment, people telling me "you can't do this" but I still try really hard to find beauty everywhere and in everyone. I'm very much about that. That's a big strength, despite everything else.

i-D

I'm really liking her fashion choices thus far. Hope she doesn't become another Louis Vuitton muse. That would be just boring. The Proenza she wore to the London premiere is my favourite.

Actress Sasha Lane attends the 'American Honey' Festival Special Presentation screening during the 60th BFI London Film Festival at the Odeon Leicester Square on October 7, 2016 in London, England.

Stp8lA9.jpg

Sasha Lane and Riley Keough arrive at the Coach 1941 Women's Spring 2017 Show at Pier 76 on September 13, 2016 in New York City.

PpAxJZa.jpg

Sasha Lane attends 'American Honey' New York premiere at Landmark's Sunshine Cinema on September 13, 2016 in New York City.

dSA7Awh.jpg

Actress Sasha Lane attends the "American Honey" premiere during the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival at Ryerson Theatre on September 11, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.

MDH7HhA.jpg

Actresses Riley Keough (L) and Sasha Lane attend the TIFF/InStyle/HFPA Party during the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival at Windsor Arms Hotel on September 10, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.

BF6P3DA.jpg

Actress Sasha Lane attends Marc Jacobs celebrates Divine Decadence on July 21, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.

K1jhC8F.jpg

zimbio.com​

'American Honey' star Sasha Lane attends IFP's 26th Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards at Cipriani, Wall Street on November 28, 2016 in New York City.

zimbio

Her sartorial choices are so much fun. For a while there, I thought Louis Vuitton had poached her. (Though she does pull of LV better than most people.)

Glad that that isn't case. At least yet.

Actress Sasha Lane attends the Vanity Fair and Burberry event celebrating Felicity Jones and the British Academy Britannia Awards at Chateau Marmont on October 27, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.

FnZ2QC4.jpg

kTBV5bO.jpg

Actress Sasha Lane attends the 23rd Annual ELLE Women In Hollywood Awards at Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills on October 24, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.

uh0LCUi.jpg

zimbio.com

Sasha Lane attends the Miami Beach Kickoff Party at Audemars Piguet Art Commission "Reconstruction Of The Universe" by Sun Xun hosted by Take-Two Interactive at Oceanfront Miami Beach on November 30, 2016 in Miami, Florida.

zimbio

:wub:

NGGotzY.jpg

2016 has been a tough year. From terror attacks, to the refugee crisis, to Brexit, to Trump, it's often felt like the mad men were winning. But we owe it to ourselves and each other to keep moving. A positive that has come out of this year is a renewed sense of unity amongst our peers; a respect and compassion; empathy, and that's something to treasure. If we're in it together, we're going to look out for each other. We're a community. While putting together this issue, it was impossible not to be influenced by world affairs. We called upon i-D's network of photographers to hit the roads post election and document the hopes and fears of the boys and girls they met. While it was unsurprising to discover that Hillary Clinton won the youth vote, it was remarkable just how many young people choose not to vote at all. You can't help but wonder — as with Brexit — if they had, would the outcome have been different?

In her first cover shoot for i-D, Zoe Ghertner teams with Julia Sarr Jamois in L.A. to shoot 2016's breakout star Sasha Lane. Spotted on a Florida beach by Academy Award winning director Andrea Arnold, Sasha wowed critics and audiences alike with her raw talent in American Honey. We chat to Sasha about her thoughts on Trump's new America to challenging the status quo. "Sometimes rules and concepts need to be turned upside down," she says. "No one remembers or lives by the girl who sits quietly in the corner, like a shell. I want my energy to move people." With three more films in the pipeline, 2017 looks set to be the 21-year-old Texan's year. Another film set to change the face of cinema is Moonlight, the highly acclaimed coming of age story by director Barry Jenkins. We meet Ashton Sanders, the film's star, whose poignant and heartfelt portrayal of a boy on the brink of adulthood will move you to tears. "I want people to walk away from Moonlight feeling empathetic and full of love," he tells i-D of a role that's deservedly generating Oscar's buzz. If you haven't seen it already, book your tickets now.

In Power to the Party we meet AFROPUNK's founder Matthew Morgan, who brought his cult festival to the UK this September. "When I was growing up there was no scene for black alternative kids," he tells i-D. "The idea was unheard of. I want AFROPUNK to encourage people to learn from each other, speak to each other and liberate one another." With performances from SZA, Cakes Da Killa, Lady Leshurr, and Grace Jones, we meet the people who made the party. Awful Records put the fun in dysfunctional and lead i-D's team astray at their Hackney Church gig, and the music team curate the hottest talents of the New Year, from Dave, to The Rhythm Method, Raye and more. We also chat Spike Lee's new film Chi-Raq with Teyonah Parris, Lil Yachty shares his dreams for the top, and Hopper Penn shows us what not to do on a skateboard.

So out with the old, and in with the new, may you be happy the whole year through. Next year, art and optimism are more important than ever, so keep painting, keep writing, keep designing, keep dreaming! Happy New Year from everyone at i-D x

Holly Shackleton, Editor-in-Chief
Credits

Photography Zoë Ghertner

Styling Julia Sarr-Jamois

Sasha wears all clothing Louis Vuitton spring/summer 17
i-d.vice.com

1OlJiG8.jpg

Actress Sasha Lane attends the L'Eden By Perrier-Jouet opening night in partnership with Vanity Fair at Casa Claridge's on November 29, 2016 in Miami Beach, Florida.

FdlO2Ib.jpg

Actress Sasha Lane attends the L'Eden By Perrier-Jouet Cocktail Party In Partnership With Jalouse at Casa Faena on December 1, 2016 in Miami Beach, Florida.

7NYVvXw.jpg

zimbio.com​

Louis Vuitton S/S 17 by Bruce Weber:

IchTjGk.jpg

q90KzUI.jpg

louisvuitton.com

Sasha Lane attends the Elle Style Awards 2017 on February 13, 2017 in London, England.
C2MLpJr.jpg

AJnLZPG.jpg

zimbio

SANTA MONICA, CA - FEBRUARY 25: Actor Sasha Lane attends the 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards at Santa Monica Pier on February 25, 2017 in Santa Monica, California. (Photo by John Shearer/Getty Images)
R2s7klv.jpg

:clap::clap:
can't wait to see more of this girl in films and on the red carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->