Self Service spring 2005

Reaction score
Looks like an incredible issue so I just wanted to share.

Below: Cover and cover story by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin.

hmm...looks promising metal...
good pictures from inez and vinoodh...
thanks for bringing this in...:flower:

I'd never heard the name and I would've remembered.

Looks excellent.

self-service has to have to best use of type of almost any magazine

hipp hipp hurrah for our new sections again and again...i never saw this and it does look promising; thanks metal!

Oh...Marie Chaix is styling now?! Looks great.

Dunno,if I'll be able to get my hands on it but I'll try....looks stronger than the last few.

Thanks Metal*.

I bought this a couple weeks ago. It's a good issue. Not great. After awhile I get tired of the same blah editorials of dumpy bored teenagers lounging around in Parisian apartments or whatever. There's an Anne-Catherine editorial in this issue photographed by Suzanne Koller that I feel like I've seen in self-service about 4 times already. It's always the same concept. Not that I think every magazine should be about cliches of glamour and happiness or whatever. But sometimes self-service can be a little dull and dismal. That's kinda what plagues this issue.

Other than that, cool stuff by Inez & Vinoodh featuring a great new English model--Eloise. I think she's going to be huge. Inez has been shooting her for many other projects as well.

The Alasdair McLellan story I posted above is great, too. As is a men's story by Willy Vanderperre, styled by Olivier Rizzo. Also, an essay by Alix Browne on the problems and implications of mega-boutiques, as well as interviews with Norma Kamali, Gerhard Steidl, Lisa Eisner, and others.

Scott,

Marie Chaix has another editorial in this issue entitled "Embrace Beige Modernism", photographed by Roger Deckker. It's basically casual street fashion on the kids of the Parisian fashion/art/film scene--Cedric Rivrain, Jane Schmitt, Jean-Marc Masala, Jacques Shu (press attache for Dior Homme), and others. Cute editorial. If you can find the issue, you should get it.

metal-on-metal said:
Scott,

Marie Chaix has another editorial in this issue entitled "Embrace Beige Modernism", photographed by Roger Deckker. It's basically casual street fashion on the kids of the Parisian fashion/art/film scene--Cedric Rivrain, Jane Schmitt, Jean-Marc Masala, Jacques Shu (press attache for Dior Homme), and others. Cute editorial. If you can find the issue, you should get it.

You know,Metal,I e-mailed Self Service in '02-enquiring about assistance work-thinking I was going to be in Paris that Autumn. Marie is the one that replyed back to me,quite interested I might add. Unfortunately,since then going to Paris was always unclear. And then,Marie was a mere assistant herself. Maybe I'll bump into her at the défilés this October...I hope I can.

As for Suzanne,I liked some of the work she did but often found it to be a bit hit and miss. Most of the good stories though usually come from the contributors. Jane How has had some amazing works in there as has Desirée Heiss(she's a really good stylist!)and Ann-Sofie Back as well.

I'll try and scour round for that particular issue you mention.

Looks good, now that I've been to the self-service website I think this could quickly become one of my favorite magazines. Thanks m-o-m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->