Selling Your Wardrobe

Kora

Reaction score
I need some advice.
I have a bunch of clothes for sale, 80% new and some that are worn one time.all of them are in great condition (I could get away by saying they are new, but I would never do that) BCBG, MAX STUDIO, MARC JACOBS, etc. lot of them have tags. Well..... the problem I have is that it seems that a lot of ebay dealers are ok with getting $ 39 for a $ 348 MJ brand new w/tags dress.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can market/sell these items.
I could really use some help/advise.

I know how hard it is to sell cothes on eBay. Here are some basic eBay tips. You may already be aware of them though. :blush:

One thing you can do is make your listing look extra clean and professional. Have multiple detailed photos. It's very reassuring for bidders.

And don't start the offer too low. If only one person bids on it and you started it at $20, you're out of luck. Don't forget the cheap advertising gimmick of putting another well-known designer's name in the title. If a person searches for Chanel, they're stumble onto your listing too.

I've never done this myself, but it may help to put everything up all at once and then start advertising your store. Just pimp it wherever you can, on websites or even make flyers and pin them up in libraries or something. I think if I saw a flyer advertising designer clothes in a library, I'd be very attentive. Maybe just because I live in a small city, I don't know. :ninja:

Kora said:
I need some advice.
I have a bunch of clothes for sale, 80% new and some that are worn one time.all of them are in great condition (I could get away by saying they are new, but I would never do that) BCBG, MAX STUDIO, MARC JACOBS, etc. lot of them have tags. Well..... the problem I have is that it seems that a lot of ebay dealers are ok with getting $ 39 for a $ 348 MJ brand new w/tags dress.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can market/sell these items.
I could really use some help/advise.

for better or worse, that's the going rate. that's what you get with mass market labels where clothes are produced by boatload and distribution is not tightly controlled.

Thanx alot fro the reply. I'm thinking of posting notes in my bldg.

I buy and sell clothing on ebay often so here's some advice that may help:

Take your time and take really good pictures of everything and if you think it can help, take measurements of of the items you are selling. For example if you are selling a t-shirt I would lay it flat and measure the width across the chest and the length from top to bottom. It takes more time but you usually get better prices.

As for putting other brand names in the title, it is not a bad idea but if you OVERDO it someone can report your listings and ebay will cancel them all. That means you have to do all the work again! It may or may not be worth it. Another option is to list all your items at once and because they will have several different brand names, if you put in the first line of your auction "SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS FOR MORE STUFF" or something like that your auctions will advertise for each other. Also I don't know what prices you are looking for but if you are looking to get $50-$100 for each auction and you have 10 or more items to sell I would spend a little money to add BOLD or HIGHLIGHT to a few of the auctions to get more attention. If no one sees your auctions then even if it is a really desirable item it will get very few bids.

Lastly, I hope you can learn a little something from the fact that prices are low on eBay. And that is before paying RETAIL for an item always check eBay and perhaps you can get it for much cheaper if it is available. Another reason why prices are very low is the flood of fakes, even if someone would be willing to pay $150 for a pair of Diesel jeans, they have to go through 20 pages of fakes to find one that "may" be authentic and most people just do not bother altogether. If you are selling any brands that are faked then it is very, very hard to get good prices for them. Maybe you can sell it or trade it with friends or through other websites. Best of luck!

you could do a sidewalk sale or you could do a clothes swap with friends...

or you could take them to a consignment shop as well...

A lot of the MJ stuff on ebay is fake, which is why you see an expensive dress going for so little. The same is true for other brands. However, when I do see authentic items they tend to go for close to retail. If possible you should describe when and where you bought the item, post a picture of the receipt if you happen to still have it (with the cc info blacked out), and take a close-up picture of the tag if you have that also.

thanx again.and I realize that there are MJ fakes too! OMG what else will they think of?

Just guarantee authenticity, show original tags and/or receipts, and be clear and concise, providing style numbers, exact colors, season, etc. Good luck!

I like auctions that kind of show your personality. It seems a lot more personable, and I like that, instead of just measurements and colors in the description. But then again, other people just want the basics.

must agree with the above.
been recently become an ebayer and since everything is from my personal collection and was loved and cherished or even brand new i always portray that in my listings...
i tend to also buy from those who do it my way :wink:

kora, I am with you on this topic. I have myself plenty of design clothes which I would like to swap and/or sell as i do not wear them as much as I should do. I have tried to put few on ebay, including a Christian Louboutin heels, and nothing got sold. Ebay used to be a great place to sell stuff, but because of all the fake items, this is not the case anymore. I have tried to sell them to local send hand shops, but again they offer you so little money for what you are selling, while they then resell them at a much higher rate

Selling Clothes

i searched but i couldn't find anything, sorry if there is! feel free to merge/move/etc :smile:

is there a way to sell clothes in person and still get a good price? i would use ebay but i am way too lazy and it just seems too messy to me...i have a bcbg dress and lanvin sandals in mind as well as some other things. thanks :flower:

Maxfield! Which Lanvin sandals?! I failed to snap up a pair I wanted real bad and have been monitoring ebay for them for a while!

Craigslist, as creep as it may be, is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->