Silver Jewelry + Allergies

POTC_ROXS

Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone here is allergic to silver jewelry, earrings in particular? I am curious as i recently discovered this and hate to see my new Tiffany earrings sitting in the drawer unwearable. My other silver jewelry (ie rings, necaklaces, etc) have no affect on me. Is there any way to fix this? When i inquired at a jewellry store i was told nothing could be done. Help!

I worked for a jewelry retailer when I was in college and had a similar issue as yours as did customers. Bracelets I had no problem but rings and necklaces forget it. Has to with in most cases the nickel in the silver .925 re-acting to the acid content in your skin which causes the blackening or irritation. If that's not the case call the retailer and ask if the silver has been rhodium plated? That could also be the cause of the re-action.

I'm definitely allergic to the nickel in cheap earrings. But I never thought that real silver could do the same. :glare:

It doesn't matter what brand makes the silver. I can guarantee no silver that anyone owns on this forum is 100% silver.

Silver that is sold as jewelry is a substitutional alloy, meaning that at least %30 of the silver is replaced with another metal because it's a fact that 100% silver is too soft and undurable.

With that being said, its all by the luck of the draw if you may be allergic to a certain silver. It all depends on what the brand uses to replace some of the silver in order to make it durable or 'shiny'.

I've heard that if you cover your jewelry with clear nail polish, your body won't have a reaction to it. Try it maybe?

^ I second kellyisazebra's suggestion for using clear nail polish - it works.

I'm allergic to silver as well. I always thought it was weird that I can wear it in some places but not others. But I guess I'm not the only one. I'm really sensitive on my neck or ears to anything but gold or platinum. I have a tiffany's silver bracelet and ring, that doesn't give me any reactions. I haven't tried any other silver bracelets or rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->