Size conversions?

Discussion in 'Workshop - DIY - Do It Yourself' started by fourboltmain, Feb 28, 2007.

1. fourboltmain

fourboltmain More Old Skool Than You

Anybody got a site that takes different sizes and swaps them for international sizes?

2. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

It would be wonderful to find the definitive size chart, as they all seem so inconsistent with one another...

This calculator seems fairly accurate, except the French sizes might be off on the women's clothing chart--almost everywhere else, Italian sizes are listed one size higher than their French equivalents, but this chart reads two.

3. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

^ On noticing, a number of British retailers claim a difference of two sizes between their women's and the American, so it might be worthwhile to keep that disparagement in mind, or disregard the above chart completely :lol:

4. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

JPG Femme tag

[​IMG]

Chloe tag

[​IMG]

Roland Mouret tag

[​IMG]

(all images, ebay.com)

Obviously, I/IT is Italy, F/FR is France, GB/UK is Great Britain/United Kingdom and US/USA is the United States of America... :glare: I'm guessing D is Deutschland.

Notice how a lot of the conversions are rather inconsistent...

5. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me the whole... I think it's called "generous" sizing which is basically you're actually getting sizes marked down to make you feel good.

6. gius

gius Active Member

bump

I'd like to learn more about it too..
    I'm going to make some 'standard size' clothing for fun and I'd like to use a good size
    It's going to be for my sister, who is size 16 she says
    I am just assuming the 16 is in U.S. sizing because we are in Canada (I have compared it to the UK version, and the US one is larger)

My friend also tells me it is normal to use size 16 for runway collections (in Canada)
    Standard size for models
    So that will help me both ways

Any suggestions?

7. declan_steed

declan_steed New Member

Most of my patternmaker friends call that 'slop' :wink:

RE: Sizing. You can purchase standard body measurements from ASTM.org. Just search for 'standard measurements' and 'women' or 'men'. They usually cost about $40.

Though, the *real* data used by manufacturers comes from large organizations, like TC2 or other independent sizing surveys.

#7 declan_steed, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by moderator 031400: Sep 4, 2007
  8. gius

gius Active Member

It's weird having to pay for something like that...
    I'm thinking many companies have their own 'standard size' systems

9. kem

kem New Member

Does anyone know what the measurements are for Club Monaco Sizing , for example the bust , waist , hip measurements for a size six

10. declan_steed

declan_steed New Member

Um... yes, they do. And, they either: a) buy surveys, or b) conduct sizing surveys themselves. Startups, on the other hand, tend to lift sizing information off competing brands. This can be disastrous if not done under the watchful eye of an experienced patternmaker, though. Believe me!

I recently had a client show up with samples from 3 competing brands. She instructed me to lift the grade rules off these brands. They were wrong... so bloody wrong. I eventually convinced that client to follow my lead. And, now she's taking $40 MSRP more than she initially went to market with.

11. ms-nietzsche

ms-nietzsche New Member

French high-fashion sizing tends to run small right? With a brand like McQueen, I want to order pants online (French size 38) but I have no idea what the sizing would be like in US sizes.

12. tomato8

tomato8 New Member

im a us 0 and im having trouble finding designer clothes in smaller sizes. what sizes would a 0 usually be?

13. ms-nietzsche

ms-nietzsche New Member

30 Euro and 4 UK I think? :ermm:

14. Andrea.RL

Andrea.RL Active Member

I always thought a size 0 was a size 34 french standard.
    Anyway, I have the hardest time with this, I don't what the size I fit in is, at gap the smallest is 24, but I don't fit, in other jeans it will be 00 and so on...
    So very complicated!