Smoke print: who started it and how long will it last?

Jambakindy

Reaction score
I've noticed that Alexander Mcqueen and Martin Margiela both have used a Smoke print in their s/s 09 collections. Margiela just had a mens shirt that has the print, but Mcqueen seems to use it as a theme. The prints are VERY smilier and I can't help but wonder who did it first, and could it be a trent? It's actually a quite interesting and kind of sexy print.

12108457_white
Martin Margiela
(pic courtesy of Eluxury.com)
97479_1.jpg
Alexander Mcqueen
(Pic courtesy of Brownsfashion.com)
40817_in_m.jpg
Alexander Mcqueen
(Pic Courtesy of Netaporter.com)

picture-442.png
Alexander Mcqueen
(Pic Couresy of Netaporter.com)

40820_in_l.jpg
40820_in_l.jpg

idk who started it, but i loveee this print. i think it looks amazing on that black mcqueen dress

Versace had done some x-ray floral prints back some seasons ago for Resort... for thinks like cala lilies etc., and they did look very much like these smoke pieces. Actually, they may have done some smoke pieces for mens collections too, maybe last season or the one before that.

Let me do a little research....

maybe connected to all those transparencies since s/s 08..

sheer fabrics layered on top of each other
and a lot of water colour prints.. erdem, prada
very fine, very light..

These smoke designs look very nice. I wouldn't really wear something like that, but it does look nice. Very nice artistic touch.

Whats really amazing about the McQueen pieces is that the smoke is embroidered into the fabric not printed they are truly stunning IRL

I can't place it, but I have seen similar. Escada in the 90s did water prints where it looked like beads of water were on top of the silk blouses, etc.

Versace's last collection had the best smoke print shirt i've ever seen, it was almost as if the shirt was smoke it self in the way it moved.
00430m.jpg

Image - Vogue UK

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->