Style 2004: what's new

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
here are mrs Alexander's takes for the new year :flower:

Style 2004: new year's honours
(Filed: 30/12/2003)
Next season's fashion is coming over all girly. It's goodbye combats, hello frills and flounces, says Hilary Alexander

Fashion will undergo a big change for spring/summer 2004. It's time to ditch the combat trousers, the space age look and those pieces that hark back to the Eighties, i.e. Op Art prints and batwing sleeves. (absolutely)
The key words for next season are pretty, womanly and feminine, and the strongest trends are inspired by fairies (wispy, soft and sprinkled with glitter), The Great Gatsby (drop-waists and sashes), the Forties and Fifties (halternecks and full skirts with optional petticoats) and Marlene Dietrich, who was showcased as a vamp at Dior and in full Hollywood glam mode at Viktor & Rolf.

Be prepared for frills and flounces, ribbon ties and bows, pin-tucks and pleating, fluttering hems and trailing scarves. Dresses, whether empire-line, drop-waisted or fitted to the waist, will have much more shape than the ubiquitous shift or slip-dress. Tailoring will be sweet and fresh, and worn with lingerie-look pieces, such as lacy camisoles.

The print and pattern phenomenon, which emerged this winter, will reach gigantic proportions. Expect a riot of floralscountry garden as well as tropical paradise – butterfly motifs, pavement artist sketches and picture postcard scenes, splashes of rain, tie-dye, polka dots, nautical and Aztec stripes and quaint geometrics.

Although the print story is a rainbow parade of colour, relief will be provided by a palette of soft pastels and boudoir hues. Expect to find bows on everything from little, sweetheart-neck sweaters to pretty, mid-heel slingbacks in sherbet colours. Gold replaces silver as the metal of choice – perhaps thanks to the impending Olympics.

efrill30.jpg

Key pieces• Lightweight pastel trench coats, including Burberry's micro-mini mac, which covers only the shoulders
• Wrap or waisted dresses
• Capes, cardigans, boleros, shawls
• Cropped trousers :doh:
• Full skirts
• Sweet suits
The labels to wear
Marc Jacobs, Pucci, Christopher Bailey of Burberry Prorsum, Eley Kishimoto, Dior, Viktor & Rolf, Prada, Helmut Lang and, particularly, Gucci and YSL Rive Gauche, as they will be Tom Ford's last spring/summer collections :rolleyes: .

New labels to look out for
Jonathan Saunders :rolleyes: , the new print wizard, who has worked with Alexander McQueen and Pucci, as well as working on his own label; also, Haider Ackermann :heart: , the young Paris-based, Colombian-born, Antwerp-trained minimalist :unsure: .

i think she got it quite right.. what's your opinion?

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 5:08 am
and, particularly, Gucci and YSL Rive Gauche, as they will be Tom Ford's last spring/summer collections.
:rolleyes:

She did get it quite right. Thanks again Lena! :flower: :heart:

i agree about fashion coming over all girls for s/s04

i would say labels to go for are.........
GHOST!!!!!!!
balenciaga
helmut lang

why is there no mention on menswear :ermm:

Thanks Lena. Yay! Out with the 80s and in with the pretty things. :smile:

Originally posted by Christopher31@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 1:04 pm
EXACTLY, .... we need some info too! :(
We never get anything :cry:

I love faire style and old hollywood :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love the Aztec prints going aroudn as well

acid* Ghost is fabulous but nobody ever takes notice of their collections, but I think they sell well

Haider Ackermann is really good, im glad he is doing well, pucci I lieka lot as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->