So do those big name designers design their bags themselves?

Yanka

Reaction score
im really confused about this one.
I used to think designers, whose name is on the bag must have designed it themselves. Especially the It-bags that become so succesful, all the credit always goes to big boss - Marc Jacobs, Karl Lagerfeld, Phoebe Philo etc. I always thought, they were just supertalented to come up with all these shapes and textures. But then, people like Joy Gryson begin to emerge. She's obviously very talented, her bags are innovative and the design is excellent. She also worked for MJ. Does this mean she, and not Marc, is responsible for Stam, Ursula etc? :huh: What's up with that? Did Karl design the Spy? Will we ever find out if he did or is this information confidential?
Please tell, if you know.

A lot of designers do their main-line bags, but they do all have design teams as well, to bounce ideas off of, to sketch for them and to do the smaller line bags, diffusion lines, such as marc by marc.

I'm pretty sure the stam was a MJ direct design, but that doesn't mean the original incarnation was like the stam that was manufactured, or that a sub designer did not give input. they keep it underwraps for the most part, so we may never truely know.

what mj bags did joyce gryson design?

collection or diffusion?

In the beginning, when their lines were being launched, I'm sure they had input... but now they leave it up to a team of designers to come up with their line. In the end, all designs need their approval. This is how most "designer" label companies are run.

In the beginning, when their lines were being launched, I'm sure they had input... but now they leave it up to a team of designers to come up with their line. In the end, all designs need their approval. This is how most "designer" label companies are run.

so, an unknown designer never gets credit? like, there is no way I can find out who came up with the spy can I? This is really sinister. :ninja:

Well does it really matter? I'd love my bags even when they'd be designed by the local butcher or construction worker. It's about the design itself, the quality and craftsmanship, not about the name attached to it!

i beg to differ....if you put 'marc jacobs design team' on his bag, it'd lower the credibility of the brand and that subliminal concept that it's an exclusive designer-unique design...it's all in the branding....you hear chanel, you think coco and karl....they have created images for themselves that are larger than they are....although they may not design everything.

dooney and bourke resorts to contests with young girls as a focus design group to see 'what's in with the kids these days' and 'pay' them with trips to design studios and whatnot....when the company itself can take those designs and make crazy $$ off of them without really having to put out any $$$ themselves....like culture vultures

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->