Sound stylist Javier Peral gives us his playlist

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Sound stylist Javier Peral gives us his playlist

suze080115-1.jpg

You always hear how music and fashion are like peanut butter and jelly, but never is it more true than during Fashion Week, where music can make or break a collection.
There is an elite group of DJs who work one-on-one with designers to create the ultimate can't-get-them-out-of-your-head soundtracks for their runway shows and can transform the dullest show into an exciting musical adventure. Leading the pack is DJ Javier Peral.
I always fantasize about getting my hands on Javier's playlist, so I decided to call him up to do just that. I asked him what he thought was hot for 08 and, just for fun, I asked if he had to drive cross country alone, what songs he would want to listen to. Here is what Javier had to say:

...Well, I can tell you that I am in a romantic mood, nothing too electro, that sound is pretty dead for me right now.
A sign of this romanticism is seen in Goldfrapp's new album, set to be released at the end of February; she stayed away from electronic thumping music that made her last 2 albums a show soundtrack favorite. As a result, she has achieved a sound that evokes Kate Bush. There are a couple of very interesting albums, like Yeasayer and Celebration, that are taking folk sounds to a fuller sound, richer, lusher instrumentation, other wordly, somehow shamanistic. I am also listening to a lot of contemporary classical music: Stockhausen, Nico Muhly, Judd Greenstein or Ravel, Stravisnky, Poulenc...perhaps difficult to translate into lots of shows.
Then there is a very strong disco sound that also has been running for a few years already, Chromatics, Glass Candy, Hot Chip are examples of it. What makes them stand out is the sense of melancholy of their compositions and vocals. They are somehow romantic.

Javier's albums of Fall 2008

CHROMATICS: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack IV... Nightdrive
MAP OF AFRICA: Map of Africa
THE KILLS: Midnight Boom
HOT CHIP: Made in the Dark
LE LOUP: The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nation's Millenium General Assembly
THE DO: A mouthful
PILOOSKY: Dirty Edits Vol. 1
MGMT: Oracular Spectacular
SEBASTIAN TELLIER: Sexuality
YEASAYER: All Hours Cymbals
RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G

Javier's 10 songs for a melancholic road trip

THE SMITHS: There is a Light that Never Goes Out
JOSE GONZALES: Hand on Your Heart
CARIBOU: Melody Day
THE RAVEONETTES: Hallucinations
BAT FOR LASHES: What a Girl to Do
NEIL YOUNG: Look Out for My Love
CAT POWER: The Greatest
KATE BUSH: Running Up that Hill
HERMAN DUNE: Take Me Back to New York City
JEANNE WEAVER: Outro (with Misty Dixon)
glamour.com

Some interesting suggestions he's made, I wonder what shows he works on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->