Stylist: The Creation of Style

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from fashionweekdaily...
definitely going on my amazon wishlist...^_^

What do designers, editors, photographers, and celebrities share in common? Why, their stylists, of course. Those finicky fashionistas with have a sixth sense for the pulse of all things haute will soon be paid homage to with their very own tome. Stylist: The Creation of Style, a 272-page hardcover published by Rizzoli Books, will debut in October and feature 16 of today’s top tastemakers, including Paul Cavaco, Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele, Grace Coddington, Edward Enninful, Lori Goldstein, Tonne Goodman, Andrea Lieberman, Polly Mellon, Camilla Nickerson, Carine Roitfeld, Venetia Scott, Karl Templer, Melanie Ward, Alex White, Brana Wolf, and Joe Zee. Organized by stylist and accompanied by 225 photographs from icons like Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel, and Annie Leibovitz, the $75 coffee table book includes an introduction and interviews conducted by Sarah Mower with a foreword by Anna Wintour.

i'm happy that some stylists ar getting the recognition that the deserve..

but i have to point out....this statement is erroneous...
What do designers, editors, photographers, and celebrities share in common?

stylist=editor...
it's the same thing...
editors do not HAVE stylists...
they ARE stylists...

kind of a big mistake imo...:lol:...
clearly whoever WROTE that did not READ the book!...

:wink:....:P

^well I don't wanna go against you softgrey...:doh::blush: but in Europe, in France at least, editors is different than stylists... I think...
editor = rédacteur... and it's a "title" not everyone get...
so you have stylist, fashion editor and then fashion editor-in-chief...
I think stylists are more in "freelance" they don't have a unique magazine...
editors are constant contributors to a magazine and can work for other magazines, too... (eventhough sometimes the Editor-in-Chief doesn't want the fashion editors to go and work for other french magazines...)
but you can be editor (the title) and work in freelance, too...
well at least in France, it's how it happens... I'm not 100% sure but that's what I heard and observed...
I don't know if people understand me...:doh::innocent:

here are two examples (hopefully I didn't do mistakes and misunderstandings:(

from Crash (as the writtings are in english) :

from Jalouse (I tried to translate) :

scanned by me.

:woot:
Thanks for posting...It's nice that there is finally book about stylists. There are so many designer/photographer books around. Out of curiosity, is there other similar books?

I understand your point, Berlin ... I think it does vary from place to place. A fashion editor can be a stylist in many magazines ... but sometimes is just more of a manager of the department, such as in the masthead you posted. Thanks for the information.

berlin,but when in vogue paris the say realisation carine roitfeld what are they meaning??? so she's the stylist.....

^yep every magazines has its own way to say "styled by..." sometimes it's "stylisme", "mise en mode", "réalisation" etc.
about Carine R. yes she styled the story... carine is photo-stylist and editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris...
... but as I tried to explain with bad english... they are different stairs, at least in France... stylist is first, then you have fashion editor, and then fashion editor-in-chief... it's different paybills at the end that's it... it's different status/they earn different but they do the same... wow! made it simple!

I can't wait for this book to come out. I've fallen in love with everything I've seen from Lori Goldstein, so this is sure to be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->