One-click wonder: The Rise of Net-a-Porter

Discussion in 'Shop Till You Drop' started by Meg, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

Article from today (Sunday July 11th, 2010) Guardian:
    [​IMG] guardian
    I thought the part about the VIP customers being only 1% of their base but 20% of their sales was quite interesting. The rest of the article is a bit fluffy in my opinion. I think they also overlook the fact that there was demand for high-quality clothes retailers online at the time when NAP started and it's still an area which could do with a lot of improvement. I think NAP has also improved a lot in recent years - free returns, the ability to put your cursor over an image and see it on a model, cheaper mailing costs, individual item measurements, etc.

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i haven't read all of it yet...
    but i just had to comment that i haven't bought a single thing from nap since 2001-2...
    :lol:....
    it's like...
    back when no one knew about them and they were only based in the UK and it cost a fortune to ship stuff overseas...etc...
    THAT is when i bought stuff...
    *specifically a vanessa bruno dress (also back when no one knew who SHE was!)
    and i still LOVE and wear that dress, believe it or not!

but now, since they have gone more mainstream...
    i have lost interest completely...
    i don't even check the site anymore...
    it's weird...:unsure:
    :P

#2 softgrey, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Jul 12, 2010
  3. wishbone666

wishbone666 Member

Interesting article, I really admire what Natalie Massenet has achieved, it is kind of cool when you get the black box in the post..they do offer people from isolated places (new zealand) the chance do buy designers that aren't available here...i kind of prefer la garconne overall for online shopping and the way they style their clothes, which is not one of nap's strong points...

4. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

nathalie, you are genius! seriously she has done amazing, best example for any store wanting to go online!!

5. shopping247

shopping247 Active Member

i enjoyed this article tremendousely. thanks Meg!

(i am guilty of buying stuff from NAP all the time. it's
    just too easy to click-n-buy!)

6. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

I love reading these sorts of articles.

The VIP statistic was also quoted in US Vogue, in the article they cite.

I also haven't bought from NAP in ages, but for the past few years I don't think their product really suited me, and only recently have I started being interested in it again with brands like Acne, Isabel Marant, J.Crew, etc (Younger? Lower price point? More 'fashion'?). I think for a while they were into the very 'corporate woman' sort of look and spruiked a lot of DVF, Roland Mouret and so forth - I have friends who went nuts for it and spent heaps and loved Netaporter because of those brands.

7. greenappleflavor

greenappleflavor New Member

i think its inevitable, with success comes mainstream.

i think nap still is a fantastic place to browse and shop from. of course, they can't be the only place to shop from..no one wants to give up their not so known spots..but,

if you love clothes for what they are design and fit wise, and not just because its not so widely known.. nap still does the trick. better then saks, nm, bloomies..in terms of online retail, imho.

8. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I agree with the above comments that show NAP has been better at drawing 'younger' brands and also that they are better than NM, Saks, etc. I just love things that I mentioned above, the ability to hover your mouse and see the item in an outfit (this creates a bad habit where I try and do this on all online shopping websites!), the exact product dimensions, etc. It will be interesting to see where they take NAP in the future

9. wishbone666

wishbone666 Member

they never seem to respond to questions unless you have actually placed an order with them...other websites can manage to respond the next day, not net a porter...can't even respond after 2 weeks

10. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

NAP used to be fantastic with responding to queries. I think they've expanded so quickly and now they serve so many people, they're much slower than before. Their telephone help lines are great though, so maybe try there next time.

I love how they also give tips on how a product fits - whether to size up or down, what size the mannequin is wearing, etc. They've really revolutionised online shopping.