Susie Suh

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
I just kind of stumbled upon her while browsing through the itunes store...

here is a little info from her myspace
On Susie Suh's self-titled debut from Epic Records, the soulful singer-songwriter takes listeners on an emotional journey. Forging her own path, Suh brings her introspective songs to life by boiling each of them down to their essence. "I wanted this first album to be as honest and sincere as possible with the intent focused around my voice, guitar and words."

The album's organic instrumentation complements Suh's smoky voice, tender delivery and gift for melody, which gives these 10 deeply personal songs an air of intimacy and a timeless appeal. Recorded over an eight-month period at various studios in California, SUSIE SUH was produced by Grammy Award-winner Glen Ballard (Alanis Morissette, Michael Jackson, No Doubt) and engineered and mixed by Scott Campbell (Dave Matthews, Shelby Lynne).

"There is a world-weary and wise power in her burnished amber voice," Ballard says. "These stories come from a woman impossibly young to communicate so much experience, with the sexual urgency and poignancy of a Billie Holiday and the lyrical clarity of a John Cheever short story. I feel like every drop of every line is oozing from her pores, no crocodile tears, no excess musical or verbal baggage. I'm mesmerized by her ability to express the ineffable in her lyrics and by her ability to capture the human heart in conflict with itself. There is shade and dappled sunlight in her landscapes of the soul, but ultimately hope of love, of fulfillment, of connection."

I think the album review on itunes is a bit more interesting to read since it critiques her rather than just praises her...

Susie Suh has been quoted as saying "I'm not impressed with complex chord changes; I'd rather hear a simple song that expresses an emotion honestly and sicerely." That outlook might seem strange to the type of hell-bent-for-chops musician who wrongly believes that technique is everything, but it's an outlook that serves Suh impressively well on this self-titled debut album.

The Korean-American singer/songwriter, who was 25 when this adult alternative/folk-rock disc came out in April 2005, isn't groundbreaking; no one who has spent a lot of time listening to Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, or Aimee Mann (three of the people she inspires comparisons to) will find Suh to be innovative. But if this album is somewhat derivative, it certainly isn't derivative in a bad way--and what Suh lacks in originality, she more than makes up for when it comes to craftsmanship and just plain soulfulness. Suh brings a wealth of feeling to her material, and she sings every word like she means it. Her words aren't always happy; introspective offerings like "Petrified to Be God-Like," "Your Battlefield," abd "Lucille" have a brooding, world-weary quality-- and much like Mann and Apple, Suh deals her share of darker emotions. But this CD isn't without its moments of hope; "Harmony" and "Shell" are among Suh's more optimistic songs.

One person who serves Suh well on this Epic release is producer Glen Ballard, who gives the disc a clean sound but doesn't over-produce; he favors a more spare approach for Suh and goes for intamacy. The singer/songwriter field is amazingly crowded these days, but Suh is a cut abover many of the female singer/songwriters who emerged in the early and mid-2000s and shows considerable promise on her first album.

I was in a rush when i posted earlier.. but here is a link to her myspace
she's got a few songs on there...

also, some of her songs have been used for movie/tv
she has a song on the soundtrack for "must love dogs" and has been featured on the show "one tree hill" a few times..

:flower:

the song "all i want" from her self-titled debut album...
this is just the album cover...

^I have this album, and I still listen to it. It's ok album. However, I can't seem to download the album into my iPOD...:neutral:

^i literally just sort of stumbled upon her today.. i haven't even REALLY given the songs as a listen yet...
but i was intrigued by her voice and tone

when i did a search to see if any tfs-ers had any opinions i saw she didn't have a thread so i figured i'd start one and see if anyone thought the music was worthwhile... ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->