The 'M Le Magazine du Monde' Thread

Sometimes I love to be proven wrong...I take back my assumption that I wouldn't enjoy this :heart:

Glorious covers with Imaan and Rianne on the beach and a generally lovely editorial set in Amsterdam and beyond. I would love to get either of those covers!

Imruh Asha's work can be inconsistent, but when harnessed by a good creative director (photographer) and casting from PGM, he'll deliver something good.

Fabulous editorial! It reminds of great times spent in Amsterdam, which is always a good idea.

What a fine display of Dutch talent. Jean-Baptiste Talbourdet-Napoleone did a wonderful job. Doutzen, Rianne and Imaan look spectacular, love each of their covers - especially Imaan in that Alaia. The closeup cover with Rianne is absolutely mesmerizing, it's divine.

LA NOUVELLE AMSTERDAM.
Photography:
Jean-Baptiste Talbourdet-Napoleone
Styling: Imruh Asha
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Make-up: Irena Ruben
Models: James Bergwijn, James Brady, Saskia de Brauw, Edgar Davids, Mila van Eeten, Beauïse Genç, Erik van Gils, Imaan Hammam, Ollee Means, Marte Mei van Haaster, Mohamed Hassan, Jill Kortleve, Doutzen Kroes, Evandro Lauren, Farah Nieuwburg, Parker van Noord, Felice Nova Noordhoff, Rianne van Rompaey, Joseph Uyttenhove & Robbie Jr

M Le Magazine Du Monde Digital Edition

Thanks so much for posting the full editorial Zorka :D. A real treat to see such a lengthy location story with many great models. I think the four selected cover images may be some of the strongest. Overall all of the images shot on the beach probably remain my favourites but some of the ones set on the streets of Amsterdam are just wonderful as well (like Rianne in the Bottega and Imaan in the long white dress...that just takes me back to a brief day in Amsterdam several years ago).

I remember the time when we had all those bonkers Dutch members/Dutch model stans on here in the early - mid 2010s, when every new Dutch model seemed to be a forgettable blonde...I don't miss those times :lol:. Thankfully the girls here are some of the best. I swear Imaan is the perfect commercial meets high fashion model of these times (although she's perhaps a bit limited in her runway versatility - that walk doesn't work everywhere), whilst Rianne is the ultimate high-fashion girl who taps into the mood of whatever she's doing or whoever she's working/walking for so effortlessly. I'm not even a particular fan of these two, but you have to give them their flowers :flower:, they are so reliable.

M seems to deliver less (decent) fashion content than it once did but I always look forward to their March - May and September - November output because at least we usually get a regular dose of their better editorial efforts.

The "La Nouvelle Amsterdam" fashion editorial by Jean-Baptiste Talbourdet-Napoleone looks good. There are a few shots that I like. However, it does not excite me and it reminds me of a theatre production with actors in costumes.

For me, it’s a bit suspicious the creative director of the magazine uses one of the biggest issues of the year, with the most budget, and biggest profile, to make his photography debut. Then the fact that the story ticks so many photography boxes: studio, daylight, streets, night with flash. Seems like a desperate plea to get himself more commercial clients if you ask me.

Rianne can be anything except but subjugating
Rianne, Rianne.
Used to think she was one of those models I can like because she's obviously talented.
Didn't expect to think of her as charming, endearing or all this kind of 'things'.
Did even less expect to consider her one day as openly attractive.
Just love it when some artist proves me wrong so many times in a row.

Feels like all the modern photography clichés. warm film lighting, grey studio.. Could be Alasdair Mclellan, Theo De Gueltzl, Colin Dodgson, Jamie Hawkesworth...

Aside from the images with Canals, does this really capture the Netherlands? could be anywhere.

W in its heyday gave us the best travel stories from Mario Testing, Juergen, Philip Lorca di Corsica, where they really told the story and captured the culture of their locations. This just feels nice in a generic nondescript way

I definitely respect everyone's opinions in this thread and can agree that Jean-Baptiste's photography lacks originality. However given that standards are generally speaking fairly low in all aspects of fashion photography in 2024 (besides casting - you would think people of non Caucasian descent hardly existed before 2016 if you used editorials and ads as a barometer for some kind of social or demographic commentary). I guess that I don't really expect originality anymore. Is that a bad thing? Definitely.

I can see the comparisons to McLellan in terms of the street based images, but I find that the pictures are a lot more graceful than Alasdair's work which for the most part I can't stand - that tired *** lighting and British Bruce Weber vibe that he hasn't switched up in two decades is so cliché. Dodgson's photography is just terrible and Hawkesworth's imagery is more quirky (I actually usually see some positive parallels with Meisel in his work).

I guess I just appreciated that this is pretty good for Jean-Baptiste's first published story as a photographer; he clearly made an effort and at the very least worked well with the casting and styling teams to try and produce something memorable. Only time will tell if it actually is. The fact that he used a major issue with big budget to do it is a little suspect, but would M&M, Sims or whoever else they've used recently done better?

Obviously Fabien's style of photography was very unique, as was his art direction, but c'mon that man is in a league of his own.

Let's see what future Talbourdet photography looks like. For me personally, for the time being, he made me interested in M once again which I hadn't been quite as much as I was when Suzanne was fashion director. And for that I'm grateful.

i feel like fabien baron's photography was a contrast to that of who he worked with most

here, it's clear JBT has raided the archives, fairly, which he helped create a little?? I'm not sure when JBT came about, I've been more aware of him like in the last 6 years, with that tie dye mesh top cover of the 3 girls-- I guess Alasdair had his style long before meeting this man, Jamie Hawkesworth as well, not sure if he worked with M that much or they went with his little brother Colin D more.. but Oliver Hadlee Pearch, Theo Wenner, Theo DG, Sean Thomas, Colin Dogson, those ones, are likely looking at this like, wow, really? I'm sure they preferred he copied like Johnny Dufort or something, but this 1 portfolio really touches on all their worlds, the color editing is blatantly Alasdair's signature, u see int he doutzen photo they make her skin warm and keep the background cool, painterly

the problem is, a lot of these photographers 'worlds' are just working with the top models and stylists but.. in 120mm film.. and natural scenes.. so without a stronger voice than that it's all easily replicated and stolen, hopefully we move out of this stuck culture sooooonnnn

anyway, the clothes look great, the girls look great, i'll be picking this up at the tabac if they have it-- but-- it's nothing groundbreaking, expect maybe in the M staff world bc maybe the magazine would have had to hire separately sean, oliver hp etc to make this 1 story, but now, the CD can do it himself

M Le Magazine du Monde September 14, 2024 : Katy Perry by Lukasz Pukowiec

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreagmanili
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->