The NY Times Article : Loving & Hating Marc Jacobs by Eric Wilson

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by MissMagAddict, Nov 15, 2007.

1. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Thursday November 15, 2007

2. jun3machina

jun3machina New Member

what a wonderful article and interview!!

3. vouloirrusse

vouloirrusse New Member

no
    i feel like he is fronting,
    breaking down in public and covering it with an attention wh*ring attitude; just like lindsay did
    except mj is a brand and was the most respected in america
    and now he's killing it

4. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V

^ yeah i agree with you

5. Bidwell

Bidwell New Member

If people didn't care for him they can just ignore him. But can they?

He's the antithesis to say,Tom Ford and in my books is a brave and intelligent position to be in, whether one likes him or his *%$£"!! work.

6. Blanche DuBois

Blanche DuBois New Member

I mean, he can do whatever he wants for his shows I don't care...but he is been killing LV slowly
    it's so crappy and cheap these days...

7. gius

gius Active Member

i must have been away when his show was regarded so badly :ninja: i liked the colours... you don't have to wear it that way in real life... it was not that bad... so much drama

8. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

I think it has more to do with his personal reinvention than anything else. Back when he was just a regular looking, kinda geeky, semi-cute-in-a-teddy-bear-way guy who happened to be a creative genius, people could relate to him in a more personal way. Now he's exuding confidence and sexuality with a more rebelious creative streak, and I'm not sure people know how to take it except for seeing it as cockiness and arrogance. Plus, he exposed aspects of his life that left him open to tabloid and any other attacks on his character, so if he pisses off some editors they're bound to go for in for the kill.

I think that's why his collection was attacked on a more personal level, cause let's face it, back in the day people complained about his delays, but it was never in this torch-weilding villagers sort of way.

#8 Spike413, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited by moderator Ava Madison: Nov 16, 2007
  9. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

no--

people used to love him because they all said how sweet and shy and nice he was...
    now he is acting like an egomaniacal spoiled brat...

starting a show two hours late...
    when it already started at 9pm....on a MONDAY in the middle of fashion week..
    absolutely unprofessional and unacceptable...

if the dresses weren't ready- then he should have just said-
    right- we are not showing the video...
    just start the show....
    if the clothes are so great-who needs a dumb video?

*ps-WHY weren't they ready???...:judge:...
    this isn't the micky mouse club..
    it's one of the the biggest fashion houses in NYC...
    it's an embarrassment...

then...have you SEEN the nude spreads???
    so obnoxious...

at least he isn't denying it...
    it's all about him....
    look at me look at me look at me!!!
    *just like all those little harlots *oops -i mean starlets that he loves...:innocent:...

:lol:...

#9 softgrey, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Nov 16, 2007
  10. whitecollargirl

whitecollargirl New Member

i liked marc jacobs when he was a little more twee and a little less 'look at me!'

11. Caffeine

Caffeine Active Member

I believe that there is a lot of jealousy involved.
    Regarding the delay, it was bad. But it should never be elevated to a personal level. Suzy didn't show class i must say. Although it looked like they made up.

12. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

what kind of jealousy>?..
    by whom...and of what?...

:huh:...i don't get it...

#12 softgrey, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited by moderator starrb81477: Nov 17, 2007
  13. birdofparadise

softie, that's so hot, calling a man a harlot, i'm adding that to my vocab right now! if he were the 'real deal automobile' as i like to say then he just would have done his thing without calling up WWD afterward to complain, without posting on cathy horyn's blog to complain, without sticking out his tongue at anyone or no one in particular...get off the cross, marc, we need the wood.

#13 birdofparadise, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited by moderator : Nov 17, 2007
  14. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

^ The tongue thing was actually cleared up by Cathy. At the Vuitton show, Marc gave Suzy a t-shirt with a Richard Prince design of her "wringing his neck", her words, as a peace offering and when he came out, stuck his tongue out at the inside joke.

I'm not condoning it, cause it did come off the wrong way, but it wasn't the obnoxious gesture people originally thought.

15. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

well,one thing is true-he his an arrogant egomanic. so full of himself he is he could give a flying fig about telling...no shouting out very clearly that he rips off his peers' ideas and techniques.

you're right too he was a good guy before. but i think after LV signed him and all that LVMH money began fluttering into his bank account that's when his entire attitude changed. not to mention the shameless,constant fawning over him by hollywood and overrated hipsters....it resonates. and he's allowed himself to be this kind of corporate caricature. he may have always come off as this grungy anti-type but he is as about face and arrogant as tom ford was at gucci.

16. Eclat

Eclat New Member

I'm suprrised that he took two hours to start the show, knowing that store buyers/journalists/photographers have other shows to attend are on a tight enough schedule as it is...how unprofessional.

And I'm disappointed with him claiming to be an attention wh()re. So disappointed with that. That sort of attitude would seem beneath him. Ah, well...

17. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

what bugs me is that he's getting away with all the attention he's been wishing for.. he wants to be a celebrity and make a larger-than-life mark in fashion, hence the yves saint laurent-esque portraits and attitude.
    I personally don't think he's at his best creatively right now.. it keeps getting worse with all the blatant rip-offs and shameless lack of originality, in my opinion. I liked that there was something very young-oriented and light-minded about his designs a few years ago, that was his appeal for me but there's too much pretense these days, he's dying to impress and annoy the crowd, which can be good with all the pressure he must have, but the way he's doing it.. by using less known designers' past ideas and promoting them, almost patenting them as his.. that's just disgusting.