The Tree of Life

NakedIfIWantTo

on the come up
Reaction score
I checked and there wasn't yet a thread for Terrence Malick's latest feature film The Tree of Life.
I think this one will be hotly discussed by lovers and haters alike!^_^

The Tree of Life - an upcoming 2011 American drama film featuring some surreal and sci-fi elements, written and directed by Terrence Malick, and starring Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain.

Thetreeoflifeposter.jpg

brad-pitt-the-tree-of-life.jpg
treeoflife.jpg

wikipedia, sheknows, famousmonstersoffilmland

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm dying to see it. It's gotten mixed reviews so far, and some people at the Cannes premiere booed it at the end. As with all of Malick's films, this one's bound to be polarizing.

I've been waiting for this film for such a long time! Yeah I heard it got booed too at Cannes, but
far on rottentomatoes it got an 86&. I also heard Sean Penn was rarely in the movie too. :huh:

The movie won the Palme d’Or at Cannes, and it had its LA premiere last night. It opens this weekend in just LA and NYC. It will then open in select cities next month, and it'll have its wide release July 8th. And yes, people who've seen it say that Sean Penn just has a few minutes of screen time. :o
Also, I heard that the movie has a strong religious theme.

I look forward to seeing it, but I get the feeling that I'm gonna be disappointed in some way.

I saw the movie on the 16th. Here is my review

Some of the people in my theatre left after 15 min, other half way through the movie and some stayed until the end but were really really disappointed (a lots of "it sucks" "I didn't understand anything" etc..) There were surprisingly a lots of young people (ie teenagers) and those were, I think, the most disappointed ones. I guess they came for Pitt and Penn. When you'll see the movie you'll understand that if you only went to see it because of the 3 "leads" (who really aren't the leads for me) then you'll leave with somewhat a bitter taste in your mouth.. Argh it's so hard to write a review for this move without spoiling! The movie is not really what I was expecting (ie trailer) but at the same time it was (ie title).

The movie talks about everything related to life. Whether we are talking about human life or something else from the creation to the death. It deals with feeling we've all felt : confusion, anger, disappointment, shame, hurt, happiness, grief, fear, jealousy, desire of rebellion, desire to be seen and heard, .. It follow the life of this family, not only of a son or a father. It shows how everything, every action, every feeling, every decision are linked and have impact on our surrounding. There is this huge contrast between Nature, nature which is untamed, majestic, wild and men, men who try to control themselves, to live through some sort of discipline but at the same times men who try to come to term with the fact that they love, they fail, they get hurt sometimes and when they are down some can still come over and kick them in the face. I think there are movies and then there is the Tree of Life. There are directors and then there is Terrence Malick. I've never felt that way after seeing a movie. So many of the questions which were asked in the movie went through my mind before. I am not a very religious person but every single quotation from the bible (the ones coming from the actual Bible were very few!!!) found an echo into my mind. The voiceover, I think some people disliked it well I believe it was the strenght of the movie, it was what made it unique and so powerful. The voiceover was a plead, a plead to God for something, anything. Malick brought the best of its actors because they didn't speak much, because there were a lots of close up (you can't cheat with close up + no dialogue). Every words had a meaning, when you'll see the movie, if you like it/get it you'll realize that no additional words were needed.

Pitt was..incredible. I've never thought he was a great actor, just a good & smart one but here he was pure genius. He showed he as talent, he showed he has layers and he showed he deserves to belong to those A-list people. Penn, he maybe had 30min max in the whole movie and 3 lines but it's his best performance so far. He plays the lost man like no other and the child. The children are actually the true star, the ones you'll see the most (along with Earth and the Universe), the one who have the most dialogue with the mom.. Talking about her, oh gosh. What an actress! I felt very close to that family because I somewhat had similar parents. I don't know if it helped me to understand it/enjoy it more.

The cinematrography.. 3 words : out of this world (guys you'll see dinosaurs). The music spot on, perfect, tear-worthy and the directing/editing was just perfect. I don't know, right now I can't think about anything negative because every single weird thing (Penn speaking 3 lines) had a reason and brought something to the movie.

This was an out of this world movie, a masterpiece, something like I've never seen before and probably never will. It touched my heart beyond words and I am sure it didn't only touch mine. Yes some people left but a few of us stayed there, glued to our seat even when the end credits rolled. We just couldn't believe what we saw and felt.

Great review.

I saw it in Paris the day it won the Palme d'Or, just before it was announced. There, too, people started leaving the theatre after 15 min and kept on leaving during the whole film.
I think that this film will really divide the opinion, leave a lot of people disappointed and I can understand that. A lot are annoyed by the radical approach and cinematography, they cannot accept something so different, so "open" (I have a lot of trouble phrasing it but you will understand what I mean if you see the film).

As for myself, I loved 'The Tree of Life' beyond anything I could have imagined. It's a film you really have to "feel", to "experience", and I was so deeply moved by it. It gave me goosebumps in the end. I left the theatre feeling as if I was floating, completely in love with life and its beauty. I don't really know how to explain or analyze it properly and I already sounds very cheesy or naive so I won't elaborate. But yes, for me, it is a masterpiece and one of the greatest films I have experienced in my entire life.

i never understand how people can walk out of a film without seeing the whole thing and then form an opinion....

Well..this movie is really one of a kind so if you don't get it or aren't very patient then I can understand not wanting to "waste your time".. One of my friend really loathe the film so I'd say just go see it with an open mind and don't have crazy high expectations because I think it's the best thing to be dispappointed.. I really hope this will be it for Malick because he is so so talented, too bad he is awful at promoting his films and just doesn't try. At least he got the Palme d'Or ^_^

Wow, I am always curious about something that polarizes people so much. I'll definitely check this out if/when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->