Top 10 War Films

Deer hunter, I never really thought of it as a war film before, I guess so.

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Dec 28th, 2003 - 9:51 am
thanx for posting

have any of you seen Gillo Pontecorvo's Battle of Algiers? im suprised it isnt on the list...it must be #11

anyway its a great movie! Not only was it shot amazingly well, it also says a lot of profound things that can very easily relate to society today (i.e. terrorism, politics, iraq, colonialization)...an english remake/adaptation of the film is LONG overdue
I missed it in theaters (even though it played around the corner from my work :shock: ), but I am waiting for it on DVD.

The list is pretty good, especially for something that came out of Hollowwood. Stalingrad was a great movie, it was interesting for me (as a Russian) to see a first (for me) German view of WWII. I really want to see "Das Boot". I hear it's a must-see for anyone who's interested in WWII. And BTW, "Enemy at the Gates" was terrible, IMHO. And the director actually said that he watched a ton of Russian war movies in order to make his as authentic as possible. It was as unauthentic as possible.

Of course there are many great Russian war movies which I guess is pointless to mention here...

Apocalypse Now is far and away my favorite.

Platoon was great for the terror and confusion conveyed in the firefight scenes.

Das Boot was also a great movie, faust you should definitely see it.

I like to say that my job, on bad days, resembles either Apocalypse Now or Das Boot, depending on the nature of the disaster.

And no, I will not provide details... :P

Originally posted by tangerine@Jun 4th, 2004 - 9:17 pm
Apocalypse Now is far and away my favorite.

Platoon was great for the terror and confusion conveyed in the firefight scenes.

Das Boot was also a great movie, faust you should definitely see it.

I like to say that my job, on bad days, resembles either Apocalypse Now or Das Boot, depending on the nature of the disaster.

And no, I will not provide details... :P
I remind you that tangerine and I are brothers. Exactly what he said. My future job may resembe apocalypse now too much for my own liking.

The thin red line!!!
It made me fall in love with Jim Caviezel and Terrence Malick .. it's like an epic poem!
Oh, my God ... the movie is SO beautiful!

What about "Schindler's List", would any of you guys consider that a war movie?

Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 5th, 2004 - 7:09 am
Yes, it was a very good, moving war film. Although from a historical standpoint Schindler's "humanitarian" motives are dubious.

I don't know if I can think of 10 war films but the ones I've loved..

Platoon
Casualties of War
Full Metal Jacket
The Manchurian Candidate (well it has to do with war..)
Catch-22 (love that movie!!)
No Man's Land (from Serbia or Croatia)
Apocalypse Now (I loved the acting but the story wasn't all that good in my opinion)

War movies are the closest I'll ever get to watching an action movie, I don't think I've watched one of those since I was a kid and didn't have a choice.

Worst war movie:

Saving Private Ryan - I mean I was kinda excited before watching it, and then I watched it, and I was like that's it?! they could've done so much better. Besides Tom Hanks is overrated and so is Steven Spielberg.

Wanna watch:

The Thin Red Line - never seen it, for some weird reason

Originally posted by faust+Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:04 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:04 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spike413@Jun 5th, 2004 - 7:09 am
Yes, it was a very good, moving war film. Although from a historical standpoint Schindler's "humanitarian" motives are dubious. [/b][/quote]
yeah.

i would consider a film a war film if it romancizes or glorifies violence.

schindler's list does not do that. it's an amazing film

I've never seen Schindler's List! I'd like to but Spielberg can be dissapointing sometimes.. Personally I don't like war and I don't support the current one (or any other) but war films are okay.. Not because of the blood and the sounds of machine guns, I like it when there's some drama involved, a real story..

Glory (Mathew Broderick, Morgan Freeman)
Enemy At the Gates (I don't care if there are mistakes in this movie!)

:ninja:

not my genre at all but i really love on the beach - maybe it's more an impact of war kinda film

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->