The Vintage Fedora F/W 09.10

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
Lately I have been thinking a lot about this old(ish) image from Garance Dore's blog where she goes hat shopping and settles on this older style hat.
garance_dore.jpg

garancedore.fr
There is something about the image that is so evocative. I love the idea of chilly autumn air and a slightly oversized fedora or similar felt hat (but not anything floppy), perhaps a vintage man's hat, in hunter green and rusty shades. Now I feel like I'm seeing these hats slowly on the rise - or perhaps I'm just seeing them wherever I go!

from garancedore.fr
rag-bone1.jpg

ilaria-walking.jpg

(both above images from last autumn)

Stella McCartney has come out with some felt hats...though these are more like cloches....
94483_in_l.jpg

net-a-porter

Flipping through J.Crew's fall preview this shot caught my eye (attached - screencap from jcrew.com)

This definitely fits in with all the woodsy and outdoors themes that have been on the runways and editorials. What do others think?

Attachments

• jcrew0910.jpg
    jcrew0910.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved fedoras. I only ever see them in the men's department at H&M and such. The SA at H&M told me she had lots of women buying them recently though so it possibly really is becoming a trend.

i think hats in general are making a huge comeback...

i cannot even count the number of people wearing them walking down broadway in soho...

granted- it's frighteningly hot here...
so there is a practical side to this...

but i keep seeing hats and hat shops popping up everywhere...

and the new Y-3 campaign features various style felt hats for men and women...
makes me want more hats myself...

:P

I've been looking for one for weeks now, I never liked fedoras but I absolutely love this kind after seeing them in the streetstyle snaps of Paris Fashion Week.. they really add some sort of vintage-y, quietly eccentric touch to an outfit.

I saved this a while ago. :heart:
widehat1.jpg

widehat2.jpg

[Tommy Ton for style.com]

Yes, I thought about naming this thread 'hats' but it didn't have the same 'ring' to it :P I think what is most important is that they have some character. Be it slightly oversized, the material (felt or leather), an interesting detail. Something that doesn't look like a typical fedora or hat. For me, these are much more suited to autumn than summer - who wants to wear a felt hat in summer?! But this is definitely something I expect to see rise in editorials and on the street...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->