Toxic Ingredients used in Cosmetics!

You can always go back to what they did "back then"... use Jelly beans for lip color (lick it and spread it on your lips) :lol: ... and for blush pinch your cheeks...

I guess I'll stick with my toxic makeup. :unsure:

I think organic products are a bit gimmicky...I mean can extracts of plants really emsulsify grease and sebum from our face? I am sure some pythochemicals are detergents but are they really as effective? I like to see clinical results and experimental datas before making any judgements...the thing that I don't understand is if they are really that toxic then why does FDA approve them and why do dermatologists endorse some of these potentially carcinogenic products? Do they just want our money?

One of the biggest mistakes Americans make is believing that the FDA is looking out for out best interest when it comes to food/diet, prescription and over the counter drugs, personal care products, etc. Just look at the quality of process food, canned food, fast food, etc that we have. This is considered OK by the FDA when it is killing us.

The FDA is notorious for receiving bribes and kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies and food and drug companies.

The pharmaceutical companies are pushing the doctors to push the drugs on us.The more drugs doctors push the more profits they can make. Not totally blaming doctors and not all drugs are bad.

Not saying we should all live in a bubble, but we need to education ourselves as to what we put in and on out bodies and stop putting the our lives in the hands of the government.

[font=&quot](Now I know some of you will tell me to take off my tin foil hat) :lol:
[/font]

Foxie-Pooh said:
I think organic products are a bit gimmicky...I mean can extracts of plants really emsulsify grease and sebum from our face? I am sure some pythochemicals are detergents but are they really as effective? I like to see clinical results and experimental datas before making any judgements...the thing that I don't understand is if they are really that toxic then why does FDA approve them and why do dermatologists endorse some of these potentially carcinogenic products? Do they just want our money?

There seems to be a general philosophy that "a little is OK." Also, "everyone's doing it." This means that your processed food can contain mouse hair and poop ... as long as it's just a little. In my book, a little of anything bad is too much.

Anyone who doubts that government standards are very low has only to look at our elected officials.

As far as how they work ... why not buy a bottle of shampoo and see for yourself? I have quite oily skin and hair and I have found these cleansers to be very effective. Palmolive was originally made from ... palm and olive oils. But they're not cheap ...

Palmolive...the dishwash detergent can be used to wash face :huh:?

I've become a little interested in going natural. I think these things are really catching on in society. People my age (~18) are being exposed to so many health reports that I think we're maybe surpassing our parents in the department.

I don't expect the government to keep me from buying potentially harmful products. I don't know/care if that's even their job. I think we should take the initiative and help change the market.

I was wondering why some harmful products are still being sold these days. I wonder if it's just because we've been using them for so long, and found them to be effective so we stuck to them. And now, if we find that some ingredients that are better, we resist the change. I mean, we didn't exactly do as much research as we did decades ago. So we just stick to what we used those many years ago?

This thread kind of makes me think of getting a new deoderant first. My mom told me that the kind we use can give you cancer. And I tend to put on so much. I may never get cancer from it, but atleast I could relax. I think it may be that way for a lot of people.

baRose said:
One of the biggest mistakes Americans make is believing that the FDA is looking out for out best interest when it comes to food/diet, prescription and over the counter drugs, personal care products, etc. Just look at the quality of process food, canned food, fast food, etc that we have. This is considered OK by the FDA when it is killing us.

The FDA is notorious for receiving bribes and kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies and food and drug companies.

The pharmaceutical companies are pushing the doctors to push the drugs on us.The more drugs doctors push the more profits they can make. Not totally blaming doctors and not all drugs are bad.

Not saying we should all live in a bubble, but we need to education ourselves as to what we put in and on out bodies and stop putting the our lives in the hands of the government.

[font=&quot](Now I know some of you will tell me to take off my tin foil hat) :lol:
[/font]

Excellent, excellent comment. Thankyou. And there is often the argument that, oh well you smoke or you drink coffee so information like this isn't valid. Firstly as someone has mentioned, toxins do build up. Whether or not our bodies can expell them isn't the point. The point is those toxins come into contact with our cells repeatedly even if they are flushed out. Also even if our bodies can expell them, why should we put our organs through extra stress. Secondly, as someone who eats mainly fruit and nuts and has cut out sugar and has never drunk, smoke or taken caffeine, I am in a position to look for life perfecting habits. So this information is relevant to some.

I don't have a source for this, but I sometime ago heard about a study testing the amounts of toxic in designer make-up such as Chanel and Dior. They found out these have a lot of amount of toxics. Just another reason for me to not buy this overpriced designer make-up, I have never trusted to a company who is about fashion and manufactures also make-up.

I am trying to be more conscious about the contents of the brands I use. Even if I do not use a lot of make-up daily I am trying to use even less of it.

You are forgetting acrylamide, it's neurotoxic and it's used in lots of cosmetic products (in lab work we're told never to touch it, not even with lab gloves).

I checked out my make-up, which is not much. I found out that my foundation from Kanebo contains propylene glycol, so I think I will be dump that immediately. It's nothing major as I am in the process of stopping using foundation at all.

I don't have the package left of my Kanebo 38 Silk Performance mascara, and therefore I do not have the information as the tube does not have it. I checked their website (www.kanebo.com), and found no information about what their products contain.

The same thing happened with my concealer stick from Lumene, which is a Scandinavian brand. The stick has no information about the content and the website (www.lumene.com) says nothing about the content. And I thought it was the law here that cosmetics need to have their ingredient content information available. The same thing happened with the powder I own from them, no information at all.

My concealer palette (which I do not use but haven't thrown away as it is usable) from Make Up Store does not seem to contain any of the ingredients mentioned in the original article in the first page.

My only eye shadow trio seems to contain isopropylbaraben. I am not sure what to do with the eye shadow, as I like the product.

My Stella McCartney "Stella" perfume doesn't seem to contain any poisonous ingredients. I guess she doesn't lie then when she says she is organic with her products.

Does anyone know where to find information? Would anyone be so kind as to private message me about some of these contents if you do own the package to Kanebo's 38 Silk Performance mascara (mine is water proof and in black) or any of the other product infos?

What brands do not contain dangerous ingredients in their make-up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I started to go through my other beauty products ... even my gentle cleansing milk and toner from Nivea contain poisons!

I am wondering, is here anyone who manages to have a totally organic/non-poisonous make-up/beauty products collection? What do you use?

Modelbehaviour, you're not gonna die because you use cosmetics with acrylamide since the amounts of it are really small (same with most of the other ingredients posted here), but it's true that it's toxic and imo should try to be avoided when it's not absolutely necessary.

^ If it would be so small it would be 100% harmless, it wouldn't be mentioned in the description of ingredients :flower:

I don't think totally organic/non-poisonous beauty products really exist, probably all of them contain at least traces of ingredients that could end up being unhealthy.

I see what you mean, problem is, is there anything that's 100% harmless? It's a personal decission to use them or not. Personally, since the use of PABA was forbidden the only thing I try to avoid is acrylamide, but it's my very subjective choice and everyone is entitled to do whatever they choose.

WhiteLinen said:
I am wondering, is here anyone who manages to have a totally organic/non-poisonous make-up/beauty products collection? What do you use?

I buy organic facial cleansers, lotions and shampoo from a lady at work who makes her line from home, before I started using her products (which are fantastic and so gentle) I bought "organic" lotions from Whole foods.

I'm trying to switch over to organic products. Most of the products I use are organic. But Barose said it a lot better than I can. FDA approved products can be harmful over time. Don't trust the FDA or government approved products. :ninja:

I haven't told my mom this (because she'll lose her appetite over this) but the FDA oks trace amounts of bugs and their droppings, mold and food decay, rodent dropping and hair in canned foods, frozen food, herbs and spices. :yuk:

My grandmother had a vegetable garden and she never used any commercial pesticides. Often she'll find a bug or two, or caterpillars in green leafy vegetables before cooking. And I always wondered if the makers of commercial food took time to remove or inspect their foods. I guess not so much.

/end rant. I went totally off topic.

I found this: http://www.lovetheplanet.co.uk/ . They claim they do not use

• Parabens
• Mineral Oils
• Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
• Artificial Fragrances and Colours
• Animal Derived Ingredients
• Genetically Modified Ingredients

I also found this: http://www.lumiruusu.com/catalog/index.php?language=en&osCsid=418d8a024796f8476327784560b17177 . It is a Finnish online shop I think, but it is also in English (so I guess they do ship to other countries too). The company who's products they sell, Organic Make-Up Company, is Canadian though.

this is very alarming. I use Clarins for my skincare and some Dior I have to check on that

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->