Trade shows around the world

gius

Reaction score
Hoping to get some input from people who are attending these trade shows...

There are ones in the U.S.
Magic in L.A., Pool... and I was told there is a big one happening now in Dallas
I think this is geared towards street wear

Then there are fabric shows in Europe:
Premiere-vision in Paris
Pitti Filati in Milan, showcasing developments in textiles as well as yarn/materials
Heimtextil in Germany...I think there is another one in Germany

These are for buyers and designers
and also the exhibitors with their product lines

-

If you want to exhibit, do you have to know a way to mass manufacture your designs?
I heard of textile designers attending who sell just the design (not the design in textile form) and it becomes the property of the buyer, and it is up to them to manufacture it in any way they want...and also to even tweak the design

If you want to exhibit, do you have to know a way to mass manufacture your designs?
I heard of textile designers attending who sell just the design (not the design in textile form) and it becomes the property of the buyer, and it is up to them to manufacture it in any way they want...and also to even tweak the design
Here is the answer to my question^ from Jenny Udale's book on textiles and fashion:

Indigo, also held in Paris, is a platform for textile designers (mainly print designers) to show their textile samples. The samples are shown as collections and are bought by designers for inspiration or by fabric companies and fashion companies to be put into production.

Pitti Filati is a biannual yarn fair held in Florence. Here yarn companies display their latest collections of yarns for production and textile designers sell their knitted and woven samples. The other main yarn fair is expofil in Paris.

Choosing to represent yourself at a show

Some more info...

Choosing to represent yourself at a fabric fair, must consider the following:

- cost of travel
- hiring a stand at the exhibition
- manning the stand
- accommodation while you are there

---------------

Agents

If an agent takes your work to sell
they will take a large cut of the sales of your samples to cover their expenses. Always keep a good record of the samples that you give to an agent. Get the agent to confirm and sign the list. Make sure you know the percentage they are taking and how long it will take to pay you

more info in the book

Calendar of Trade Fairs

Calendar of Trade Fairs

Paris, France
February/September

Premiere vision: promotes fabric for clothing.

Expofil: yarns and fibres.

Indigo: textile design including print, knit, embroidery and vintage fabrics.

Le cuir a Paris: leather, fur and textiles for accessories.

New York, USA
January/July

Premiere Vision: preview.

Milan, Italy
February/September

Ideabiella: menswear and womenswear fabric collections.

Ideacomo: fabrics for womenswear

Moda In: avant-garde materials for the fashion market

Prato Expo: fabrics for womenswear with a high fashion content and casual menswear.

Shirt Avenue: traditional and novelty shirting fabrics.

Florence, Italy
January/July

Pitti Filati: yarn show.
from textiles&fashion
by Jenny Udale

I have a few questions after reading about the business buying process..

• Do designers go to trade shows as well as buyers?
  • Do design houses do straight rebuys or do they change who they work with depending on what textiles they want (therefore needing to go to a trade show)?
  • Do designers have an idea of their designs before they buy fabrics or do they get the fabrics first?
  • How do trade shows work around the fashion season?

^Yes designers go to trade shows
Some are there to sell and some are there to buy

2. Not sure if rebuying is possible.. if you run out of a fabric for example. I have read sometimes it's a one-off, it's for one season and then they don't produce the design anymore.

3. I think you get all kinds of designers for this..
Some are inspired first by the fabric and then design. Lacroix and Yohji Y I read might do this.
Some will buy a fabric for inspiration or have it altered for their design (Prada sometimes)
Some design and make tests in various fabrics to see which looks best. (Marc Jacobs)
And some will design right down to the textile, have it made to go with their clothing designs (all of the big designers do this, like Marni, Missoni, also Matohu and Diane von furstenburg)

4. You can check the dates in the posts above
Pretty much you can find a trade show at a date that is good for you

Bijohrca accessories trade fair - any ideas?

I'm consulting an emerging accessories fashion brand and we get a multitude of offers from fashion tradefairs - and despite my experience - i've never heard about the majority of them.

The latest one came from Bijohrca (location - Paris - porte des Versailles), which is basically one of the largest trade fair platforms for newly appeared fashion brands specializing in accessories.

Is it worth a while ?

Any ideas? Experience? Reviews or other additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I've only been to an accessories trade show in LA. My experience with trade shows is that it can be hit or miss-- the one I went to had a terrible turnout but terrific vendors. I was surrounded by wonderful company. The industry is a small world so I'm glad I met them at that time as you tend to run into each other again. :smile:

I've never heard of that one, but as the consultant you'll need to do more research about the trade show and decide if it's best for that company/client.

Summary:
*trade shows are hit or miss
*do your hw, research, and decide what's best for your company/client
*network, network, network!

Best of luck!

MODA vs London fashion week for new brand

Hey, how are you guys doing? I'm starting a luxury men's brand and I want to know where I should go to set up a stand/exhibition?

What are the pros and cons of either, in your opinion?

Thanks

I'm starting a luxury men's brand. Which is more appropriate between MODA Vs men's fashion week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->