UK Elle February 2013 : Scarlett Johansson by Rankin

Wonderful color scheme, but the horrible shoes and her lack of a neck ruined it.

This shot should have been the cover, if her face was a little less awkward -

Daily Mail.com

Very awkward looking cover. Scarlett is someone who needs to caught just right, or she can look odd, and they didn't pull it off this time.

The cover very surprises me, I agreed it's clean and simple.

Glad that I'm not the only one who likes that cover :wink:
I think it's pretty. Clean, simple. Scarlett looks beautiful in Victoria's clothes.

This shot should have been the cover, if her face was a little less awkward -

Totally agree with you. I could see it selling out if that was the cover.

The shots look pretty good from the previews, still waiting for Anja though...!

Scarlett! Anja!

Actually, I'm not crazy about the cover or the two editorial shots of Scarlett, but I am a huge fan of hers, so I'll just grin and bear it and hope the article is interesting.

I have high hopes for Anja's editorial, though.

To me, the shots look like they could just be a bunch of H&M ads. The placement of the text also looks a bit strange to me.

According to the look of this cover, the £1.49 hair secret I need to know is how to buy and use a hairbrush.
This comment is perfect, haha!

They should have just put Anja on the cover since her feature is so boldly presented. Scarlett could have been used as a filler for a May or June cover.

They should have just put Anja on the cover since her feature is so boldly presented. Scarlett could have been used as a filler for a May or June cover.

Pfffft! Lorraine Candy, put a MODEL that isn't RHW on the cover!? That'd be a true sight to behold! haha! :lol:

LC cant put models on the cover, i mean, she can, but they wont sell.
A magazine like Elle is a business. It has to make money.
Anja Rubik isn't going to sell copies to people who are buying Elle in Tesco or Whsmiths. They need A-list names. OR mainstream people (Jessie-J?)
I've noticed its becoming more mainstream which must be to sell more copies.
It's a shame as they did some really great stuff in the past, but being super cool and quirky and 'in' with the small number of people within the industry won't sell lots of copies. Most womens magazines sales are on the decline.

I'm interested to see what Sykes does with it.
Her US Marie Claire borrowed heavily from her Grazia launch. Will they be using new photographers? Ive notcied David Slijper is working for Harpers UK now.

Pfffft! Lorraine Candy, put a MODEL that isn't RHW on the cover!? That'd be a true sight to behold! haha! :lol:

Was that a sly dig at Rosie...I'd take Rosie over Scarlet any day of the week. If i have to watch that god awful perfume advert with her monotone voice declaring that she "loves her lips for kissing" one for time I may just lose it. :ninja:

My subscription hasn't arrived with the mail, I was after some fresh reading material for over New Year's. I remembered the Runway Edit comes with the February and August issues too, so I look forward to that.

Those new shots of Scarlett are horrendous. I like the form of the first image but her face looks awkward. She looks washed-out in the second shot. How the heck do these get approved?

^ Seriously its just shocking that those shots would be approved for print, i dont get it. We know she can photograph beautifully, i just feel they rarely know what to do with celebs, and how to use their better side.

Sometimes I think they have a slight bit of Katie Grand syndrome. Thinking they're doing something 'edgy' when really it's just rather unattractive.

I like how awkward it is. Scarlett is one of MANY Celebs that are just stuck in an editorial rutt, always the bombshell, the heroine or the victim....Its always glitse and glamorous.

This is just pretty and cute, but not in a "Look how beautiful I am" kind of way....

The staff at Elle just don't know which photographers to hire. They need a major push in the right direction. I have never been fond of Rankin's work, even when working with the likes of Kate Moss. Enrique Badulescu, Thomas Schenk both just need to go. I think Anne-Marie Curtis' talents are a bit of a bore too. I know Elle doesn't have the funds to hire the more established photographers. But there is others out there.. who would bring something more relevant, fashionable and exciting to the magazine. Anja Rubik, no doubt, has been shot by one of the photographers I'm criticizing, but Anja has the ability to transform an image. When the regular photographers do shoots issue after issue, they're with models who I haven't seen before and fetch nothing. They make me laugh with the models they choose. The model issue from October 2011 was a joke. Agyness and Joan had never been featured before. What sense does that make? They're both irrelevant to the magazine. And no sight of them after the issue, either. Most members would argue that less-established personalities need exposure, but I wouldn't have it, when the magazine has went downhill this much. 2008 will forever be British Elle's golden period.

After reading the tweet from Lorraine Candy in the Cover Rumor Thread, I look forward to the overhaul this magazine is slated to have, come the March issue. Although the word redesign is overused nowadays and when it comes to March, I bet there isn't a vast difference (which is what needs to be done). I'm still astonished over that fact no editors noticed Kylie Minogue's missing leg on the January cover. Where's the editing and proof-looking, there?

Stunning cover. S looks great. I'd love to Anja gracing at least a reprint cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->