UK Harper’s Bazaar February 2022 : Karen Elson by Erik Madigan Heck

I want to like this, I like the red for February and the background, but I hate the makeup and her expression so much and just can’t see past it.

^Ditto. All I can see is two giant downwards facing triangles of blush and suddenly images of terrifying clowns/harlequins come to mind. :ninja:

It is certainly not the best look, but I can't help loving any Karen cover! I hope that there's better photography inside.

Living in hope for the subscribers cover.

For some reason, she reminds me of Homer Simpson.

Looks like a less severe Helena BC in Alice in Wonderland.

I really like Karen and Erik Madigan Heck & Leith Clark managed to produce some pretty good content in the past (UK Harper's Bazaar July 2016, for example), but this cover doesn't work for me ONLY because of the cyan-ish skin undertone (I colour-corrrected it on the face, but nonetheless her arms still give me some creepy corpse vibe! :cry:) and this clownish make-up Andrew Gallimore did on her (lower part of the face, especially), which is really shameful, considering that he is the one of the very best MUA in the industry!

giphy.gif

Credit: instagram.com/bazaaruk; Retouching: me

PREVIEW
Photography:
Erik Madigan Heck
Styling: Leith Clark
Hair: Hiroshi Matsushita
Make-up: Andrew Gallimore
Model: Karen Elson

harpersbazaar.com/uk; instagram.com/bazaaruk

There is DEFINITELY something (seriously!) wrong when it come to the post-production of these images. Look carefully at her skin (undertone, because as we all know Karen has that signature pale/porcelain skin) on the 1st and 2nd images, and THEN look (carefully!) at these CYAN-ish arms on the 3rd (more prominent :cry:) and 4th (less prominent) images! Besides that, this infamous 3rd image defies all laws of light known to me, because Karen's arms should be much warmer (because of the hedge's reflection), and legs should be a way more cooler (compared to the arms) because of that (artificially cyan) sward!

Beetlejuice for the TikTok era.

LOL. :rofl:

Seriously, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that *YOU* are literally the best thing happened to this community since Jul 14th, 2017 when my beloved @aracic decided to join us. Moreover, I'm thinking of collecting all your INGENIOUS posts from here and publish it someday, which would be a bestseller with no doubt!

fees like Alice went down the wrong hole. I usually love Karen but with such bad photography, styling and make up one can’t do miracles.
everything could’ve worked marvellously but it didn’t.

Damn, I was really hoping for a Karen Elson x Meisel cover for UK Vogue this year! It's always great to see Karen, but the cover isn't great - mostly because of the make-up. Some nice shots in the story, but a couple of them look like attempts at that Leibovitz look, and it doesn't quite work unfortunately.

I'm very fond of Erik Madigan Heck's manipulation of colour, especially with his landscape/garden shots - I don't really want realism, I want to see something I can't easily get elsewhere.

But I've seen much better work of his in Bazaar, and because Karen Elson is involved, I imagined much better from the entire editorial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->