UK Vogue February 2024 : Julia Roberts by Lachlan Bailey

I've been waiting for at least 15 years for a Julia Roberts cover for Vogue (US or UK) but I've never understood why in her more than 30 year career she's only had one (Vogue US in the 90s) Does Anna Wintour not love Julia Roberts? I love the glamorous 70s style
I guess her last US Vogue covers in 94 wasn’t a best selling or something.

The cover isnt bad according to todays standards, the hair gives it a 70s / 80S YSL feel but I wish she was looking at the camera. I love the editorial, nice to see her styled in a more vintage style, Anna would have her in a garden wearing pastels or maroon.

knee-jerk reaction: she looks crazy
after seeing the other photos: she still looks crazy

it's the hair. the hair and that out of place piece of bang ruins it. full, uniform, bountiful curls would have rounded out this feature which had the elements to actually be great. the electrocuted hair flattens the whole look.

congrats on the cover, julia, but the hair... nah

I have mixed feelings. I think the cover is indeed vibrant but could a liiiittle bit zoomed out. And the Gucci outfit is not bad but it's fitting poorly around her chest. Could've been fixed with another angle.

This smile, though! :heart:

The ed is nice :smile:

there was something bothering me when I first see the cover and now with the editorial it’s crystal clear: IT’S THE HAIR! everything else works and I will get it because I like Julia.

I love this cover… until I look at it for too long, at which point Julia starts to look manic. Beautiful colour scheme and background though, and great to get an unexpected choice from Edward. I love an outside shot at nighttime and it’s refreshing to see one on the cover.

Happily awaiting this issue in the post, it’s the touch of glamour I need amidst the gloominess of January.

Review time!

186 pages

The Meet Cute
Star: Julia Roberts
Photographer: Lachlan Bailey
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Writer: Richard Curtis
10 pages (including article)

Great Strides
Model: Liu Wen
Photographer: Dan Martensen
Stylist: Kate Phelan
10 pages

Adventures in Motherland
Star: Sienna Miller
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Stylist: Tabitha Simmons
Writer: Chloe Schama
Sienna's US Vogue article + editorial
4 pages (including article)

Up & Away
Models: Sora Choi, America Gonzalez
Photographer: Scott Trindle
Stylist: Eniola Dare
12 pages

My Roman Empire
Model: Lila Moss
Photographer: Theo Liu
Stylist: Gabriella Kareefa Johnson
Writer: Jason Horowitz
Editorial shot in Rome featuring the new Gucci collection + article about Sabato De Sarno
8 pages (including article)

Reality Check
Star: AJ Odudu
Photographer: Ben Weller
Stylist: Jessica Gerardi
Writer: Kerry McDermott
Feature on TV presenter Aj Odudu

6 pages (including article)

New Horizons
Models: Angelina Kendall, Jill Kortleve, Awar Odhiang, Chu Wong
Photographer: Jack Davison
Stylist: Alex Harrington
12 pages

+

Front-of-book features on:
Cordelia De Castellane's apartment in Paris
Leslie Jamison on how to dress for her new life after divorce
Tate Modern's new director Karin Hindsbo
A look at Vogue's 'Forces for Change' party

+

Vogue Asks (back page Q&A)
Gwyneth Paltrow on the last page for 'Vogue Asks'

-

So it's quite a packed little issue! I'm actually looking forward to diving into it properly this weekend; it feels like there's plenty to look at and read. The eds are quite nice, nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable enough - nice to see Liu Wen!

Last edited:
Review time!

186 pages

The Meet Cute
Star: Julia Roberts
Photographer: Lachlan Bailey
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Writer: Richard Curtis
10 pages (including article)

Great Strides
Model: Liu Wen
Photographer: Dan Martensen
Stylist: Kate Phelan
10 pages

Adventures in Motherland
Star: Sienna Miller
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Stylist: Tabitha Simmons
Writer: Chloe Schama
Sienna's US Vogue article + editorial
4 pages (including article)

Up & Away
Models: Sora Choi, America Gonzalez
Photographer: Scott Trindle
Stylist: Eniola Dare
12 pages

My Roman Empire
Model: Lila Moss
Photographer: Theo Liu
Stylist: Gabriella Kareefa Johnson
Writer: Jason Horowitz
Editorial shot in Rome featuring the new Gucci collection + article about Sabato De Sarno
8 pages (including article)

Reality Check
Star: AJ Odudu
Photographer: Ben Weller
Stylist: Jessica Gerardi
Writer: Kerry McDermott
Feature on TV presenter Aj Odudu

6 pages (including article)

New Horizons
Models: Angelina Kendall, Jill Kortleve, Awar Odhiang, Chu Wong
Photographer: Jack Davison
Stylist: Alex Harrington
12 pages

+

Front-of-book features on:
Cordelia De Castellane's apartment in Paris
Leslie Jamison on how to dress for her new life after divorce
Tate Modern's new director Karin Hindsbo
A look at Vogue's 'Forces for Change' party

+

Vogue Asks (back page Q&A)
Gwyneth Paltrow on the last page for 'Vogue Asks'

-

So it's quite a packed little issue! I'm actually looking forward to diving into it properly this weekend; it feels like there's plenty to look at and read. The eds are quite nice, nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable enough - nice to see Liu Wen!
Thank you for review !:smile:
Maybe some new camapign for summer insider ?:smile:

Thank you for review !:smile:
Maybe some new camapign for summer insider ?:smile:

I’m not the best at keeping up with campaigns but I think this is a new one for Dolce & Gabbana? It says Spring/Summer 2024 and it’s shot by Meisel. It also lists the model names but the writing is so small and hard to read that I can only make out Nora Attal and Lulu Tenney. There’s also a model named Vivienne but I can’t read any of the others.

There are 8 pages of these ads in the issue, but here’s a couple of previews. I think the pictures are quite stunning personally, and they look beautiful in print.

Apologies if this isn’t a new campaign!

IMG_2732.jpegIMG_2733.jpeg

Snaps taken by me from Vogue UK February 2024 issue.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice enough issues looking at the names. Except Lila of course

I've been waiting for at least 15 years for a Julia Roberts cover for Vogue (US or UK) but I've never understood why in her more than 30 year career she's only had one (Vogue US in the 90s) Does Anna Wintour not love Julia Roberts? I love the glamorous 70s style

Anna hates her for sure.

I’m not the best at keeping up with campaigns but I think this is a new one for Dolce & Gabbana? It says Spring/Summer 2024 and it’s shot by Meisel. It also lists the model names but the writing is so small and hard to read that I can only make out Nora Attal and Lulu Tenney. There’s also a model named Vivienne but I can’t read any of the others.

There are 8 pages of these ads in the issue, but here’s a couple of previews. I think the pictures are quite stunning personally, and they look beautiful in print.

View attachment 1245292View attachment 1245294

Thank you so much :smile:

Most of her movies are average, and among them I pick Monalisa's Smile. But even having a career like that, as Angelina Jolie, her beauty makes the things way more worthy to see. It's not a classic model beauty, she has the Hollywood beautiful appeal. It's another type, but puts her even above a fashion model. It's something I can't explain.

Vivienne Rohner? She started to work with Meisel this season.

+ Rosalieke Fuchs

Lila Moss looks beautiful in brunette in My Roman Empire editorial.

Just got my subscription copy in the post... my first impressions are that it's a hybrid issue, where half of it feels like Harper's Bazaar, which is the part I like, while the other half is the type of 'edgy' Vogue editorial content that leaves me cold.

Moving forward, under a new editor, if the entirety of UK Vogue became more like the front of each issue, it would be a nice read. By that, I mean - attractively photographed, a focus on wearable fashion, people living in gorgeous houses, an emphasis on women's issues. But do you look to Vogue for 'a nice read'? Do you want a world where UK Vogue and UK Bazaar are basically producing the same type of content?

Between a multi-page ad campaign (with fold-out) and the "My Roman Empire" feature, there's a big push on new Gucci, they're trying to wear us down into submission and acceptance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->