US Harper’s Bazaar May 2019 : Rihanna by Dennis Leupold

Not particularly fond of the makeup... but glad that she's back in the major fashion magazine cover circle

This is too much... The eye makeup with a bare neck and a more subtle lipstick would have been more than enough.

Nobody at this magazine seems to understand how to crop a beauty cover. Their close-ups are almost always too close. I wonder if it's not a photographer problem as well because I don't recall Lindbergh's beauty covers to looking like this, neither Emilia Clarke's, fairly recently.

I do like the colours used, but it looks garish and overdone instead of artistic or glamorous. Image should definitely be zoomed out more. It also could be someone else, really. But Harper's is the only magazine where Rihanna moves a decent amount of newsstand copies, so at least her appearance makes sense here. What I will say about all the Fenty covers I've seen is that they NEVER sell you 'soap and water' type of beauty. It always looks......interesting, at least. Like a Dior under Galliano beauty campaign.

What is interesting is that you have Vogue plugging KKW Beauty, and now Harper's for Fenty. Very soon the success of these celebrity brands, all thanks to social media, will force the industry to legitimise them. If they haven't been already. It's no longer like the fashion industry can afford to turn up their noses like they've done with L.A.M.B. or JLo. Because at the time those two were not really associated or fully embraced by the industry. Not the way Rihanna and Kim have been. And therein lies the reason why Kylie Jenner, despite her so called multimillion empire, she still can't secure a Vogue or even a measly Bazaar cover.

Wow, i like this, actually. How ironic it's Bazaar who delivered a fun camp cover instead of Vogue! This will look great in print, and will stand out at the newsstands.

As I mentioned in the cover rumour thread - to me, it just looks like they dumped every product in her make-up range on her face at once. I don't see much art in this look, unless the end effect they were going for was "macaw parrot".

But that said - it's colourful, and at least it's a change from their usual 'blue sky' backdrop.

Its way too close up. It would've been a decent cover otherwise. I actually really like what they did here. At this point I'm just happy they've finally quite their boring sky backdrop. Hopefully the subscriber cover is better.

The colors are great, but the overall effect is clownish.
It'll definitely stand out on newsstands tho.

Overheard: Vogue is featuring Ru and Drag Queens

Bazaar: Rihanna in drag-like makeup! Brilliant!

This will definitely pop-out in the newsstands for all the wrong reasons however

And that shot is ZOOMED IN girl. Can it go any further?

Sometimes i’m Tired of seeing Rihanna on covers but the reality is that she is the only celebrity who is willing to play the high fashion game!
I love it! Just because it’s daring and it’s her!
Go girl!

Luckily, she's the kind of woman that can pull this off. If it were anyone else the cover would look a thousand times worse, her beauty makes it bearable.

What I can certainly appreciate about all of this, is just how un-Bazaar it is and an absolute far cry from the magazine's norm. Everything from the yellow masthead, the garish makeup and the fact Rihanna was shot at ground level, it's... different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->