US Vanity Fair July/August 2024 : Catherine, Princess of Wales by Chris Jackson

well, Royal sells and EVERYBODY here knows that. Maybe VF just need more money with the start of the summer season...

It is a good stock photo of Catherine, Princess of Wales. Obviously, VF could not get a new photo shoot for the cover story so I think they did their best. The cover looks appealing. I like the rich color palette of black, navy, and gold.

Last edited:
They've done this before, lots of times now, using stock photos of royalty, from Princess Diana to Princess Anne, and when it comes to William and Catherine, even Graydon-era Vanity Fair had to buy in their cover images.

I don't even think it's a particularly nice image of her, I find the visual message very heavy-handed, choosing a shot with an uncertain facial expression, sombre colours and with her earring askew. It's like when tabloids cherry-pick a random shot to support whatever narrative they're selling that week.

The colours are nice but its not a flattering shot. Her eyes look uncertain.

Who even shot this image? I'm over her. Sorry she's had a real world experience this year.
This retouch is strange, along with the PS blacked out cover. Strange vibes down to the earring position.

Honestly, it's not the worst cover made from a paparazzo shot. I like the layout, it looks classy.
Still, not that I would ever buy this.

An odd choice of shot for the cover. The fact she’s in motion - and the earring is out at a weird angle etc really does bother me. I’d love to know if their readership goes up when the Royals are on the cover, or if it’s simply a cheaper issue to produce when they do this.

Chris Jackson, as Getty's royal photographer, has produced a huge amount of images, as used by media around the world.

So Vanity Fair selecting this shot, out of the thousands of better ones that were probably available, is definitely a choice, as they say.

No print subscription copy yet, just the digital (UK), which is showing 136 pages for the main issue, the UK edition also comes with the jewellery supplement this month.

- Damson Idris is the Vanities person;
- Monica Lewinsky writes a short article;
- in the absence of having direct quotable access to the actual people involved, the cover story is an absolute bore;
- followed by a Sabrina Carpenter shoot by Emma Summerton;
- the Joe Biden bit;
- then a weird article based on a book, "How Directors Dress" (to get the job done?) which is a bit of a stretch if VF wants to feature style/cinema content;
- a bit about the West Bank/Gaza;
- a photo-essay by Go Nakamura and Dara Lind about immigrants on the southern border of the US;
- what the attendees of CrimeCon say about those into true crime as a hobby;
- "The red queen in exile" is about 'controversial art publisher Louise Blouin' and her refusal to leave a house that's no longer hers (traditional VF society article);
- "The Abyss" which is about the vehicles sent down in the aftermath of The Titan disappearance (Vanity Fair's recent article about why the Titan was always destined to be a disaster was an interesting read);
- Patti Smith is the Proust Questionnaire.

A Royal Challenge
Text Katie Nichol

vanity fair

Vanities | Damson Idris's Life in the Fast Lane
Photo Nick Riley Beatham
Text Britt Hennemuth

vanity fair

No Nonsense
Photo Emma Summerton
Stylist Natasha Royt
Text Davannah Walsh
Subject Sabrina Carpenter

vanity fair

Haute Auteur
Text Adam Wray

vanity fair

Why was Sabrina’s story not used for the cover? Surely the last pic would’ve made a great cover.

Because Vanity Fair is too busy trying to be anti-establishment while still completely relying on the establishment for sales (and also acting as the establishment when it suits them).

Why was Sabrina’s story not used for the cover? Surely the last pic would’ve made a great cover.
Seems to me that it was the cover story but was killed. The 4th shot would have been spectacular as a cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->