By Leslie Blanch

vogue archive

Hope
By Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

vogue archive

Alice in Wonderland
Photo Lord Snowdon
By Jonthan Miller
Cast Anne-Marie Malik, Wilfred Brambel, Peter Cook, Wilfred Lawson, Michael Gough, Sir Michael Redgrave, Leo McKern, Sir John Gielgud & Malcolm Muggeridge

vogue archive

Sorry to bug you again, @justaguy, would you be able to share the "Vogue's Own Boutique" feature from this issue with Françoise Hardy?

vobdec1966.JPG

archive.vogue.com

People Are Talking About...
Photo Bert Stern
Subject Barbara Harris

vogue archive

The Youngest Romantics
Photo Norman Parkinson
By Alan Pryce-Jones

vogue archive

I can’t gush enough how 1960s American Vogue remains the epitome of the highest of fashion standards, all the while always retaining its signature clean, sleek and accessible signature.

The covershot shot really shouldn’t work in concept for its near clownish-styling. But Avedon makes it work. And all the on-location shoots are the stuff of fashion dreams.

The only weak link is the layout. But that’s easily forgiven since it’s the 60s and they likely had to do everything with layout boards. Imagine that, no Adobe CC and Mac…

Thank you, @justaguy!

I can’t gush enough how 1960s American Vogue remains the epitome of the highest of fashion standards, all the while always retaining its signature clean, sleek and accessible signature.

Looking at these early eras of Vogue take my breath away (ok maybe I'm being hyperbolic), but I can totally see how Vogue became "VOGUE" while looking at these issues. Especially looking at the 1940s issues, of course I can see how soon-to-be designers like "baby" Yves Saint Laurent or Karl Lagerfeld, etc. were so inspired and bewitched by them. Talk about opening a door to a fantasy world. I mean, is anyone looking at Vogue in 2021 and thinking "wow! I could be a fashion designer!"

^^^ Not hyperbolic at all! Diana and Avedon are still the reigning duo of fashion visionaries; there’s so much of their sensibility that remains inspiring. Liz and Fabien, Franca and Meisel, Carine and Mario are great— but Diana and Avedon are the greatest. There’s such a brilliance in the mastery of such highest of standards that are still aspiration over half a century later.

None of the hyped current fashion creatives’ imagery will be revered/remembered/revelled in a year, let alone half a century later.

Anne Fogarty for American Airlines
Photo Unknown
Models Unknown

vogue archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"