US Vogue 'Digital Edition' August 2024 : Sha’Carri Richardson by Luis Alberto Rodrigez

I like the cover. It works for a digital cover and it goes well with the Olympics.
The composition is really the strength of the cover.

American Vogue has always struggled to create decent covers with black athletes... Not a flattering shot at all.

My favourite was the Jan 2001 cover of Marion Jones, although the mood of that cover was more about glamour than 'here's Marion on the track doing her day job'. She was styled on the cover in a way indistinguishable from how an actress would have been presented.

But as we're seeing with the current crop of Olympic covers, fashion magazines seem to have issues creating decent content with any athlete from any area of sport.

I suppose you're working with people who, like the population in general, aren't necessarily going to have any interest or enthusiasm for being a model, and for those who already have sponsors, their image is going to be tightly controlled.

i just want a f*cking break from the athletes and obvious anna favs (sienna cara d) ... PLEASE

I love everything about the cover. It is a great shot. Love the colors. It is a digital cover but it should be available to purchase on the newsstand.

Not that it really matters which "cover" image they chose, since it's digital, but this image would have been far, far superior.

vogue.com
Personally, I disagree. I don't think that this photo is superior at all.

Last edited:
The “cover” photo to me looks like it could be on a billboard for Nike or Gatorade or something. It’s a dynamic image, but I don’t think it’s a Vogue cover. To me, the B&W one is more conventional (which I don’t mind) and more Vogue.

I love everything about the cover. It is a great shot. Love the colors. It is a digital cover but it should be available to purchase on the newsstand.
And would it have been that difficult for Conde Nast to have provided both stories as print covers this month, especially if this was the one originally destined for the front of the August issue?

If other editions of Vogue can produce two - or sometimes even three - covers for the newsstand, US Vogue should also be capable of it, unless it's vital that cost savings are made at every corner.

Not for me. Absolutely detest when we've got athletes on the cover of Vogue and the sport factor overrides the fashion. For me, it's covers like the Marion Jones one from 2001 that always work best - I'm with @tigerrouge on that. The black and white shot @KoV pointed out would've definitely worked better for a Vogue cover.

@tigerrouge I have to disagree. If there's anyone left who still takes Vogue seriously it's maybe because it still takes itself seriously. 2, 3 covers would just seem incoherent for Vogue's usual format. After the debate we don't need to see authorities in other fields starting to stutter along. The message wouldn't be strong.
There are a handful of magazines out there still proposing a singular format meaning there's consideration for their core readership. Vogue has always been able to identify whichever issue based on a single cover. That's a strength and not sth Perfect mag for example can boast. I liked 3 stories they put out for the past year but these familiarities is one of the main reasons i keep buying them.
This cover could've been striking but isn't well made. The dress is overblown but her bottom hair stays flat down. The nails touching the ground give me unpleasant sounds.. details don't work.

Digital covers are such a cop out.
Make a decision for the best cover, and stick to it. Enough of spreading the opportunity of 'cover' so thin.

I actually love it because its authentically athletic and not staged plus she's not your typical athlete that has been ran through the Hollywood clean up, she still has her authenticity. Should have been print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eileithyia
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->